“Pay for the Location”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Pay for the Location”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

It's a decent hotel, but reminds me of well dressed person with holes in their underwear. Delta looks best from the lobby. Once you hit the halls and rooms - not so much. It's got some smells and is dated. The day were were there, both elevators were broken (9 story hotel) - we had to use a freight elevator. The hotel is very popular with bus tours, so ...... guess you get the idea. The bar was nice - expensive - but it's downtown.. The restaurant was fine, no complaints, just pricey. The staff was friendly, let us park our motorcycles under the portico and gave us 20 bucks off our rooms due to the elevator outage. If you want to stay downtown and on the waterfront, the Delta will fill the bill. Just keep your expectations reasonable. Oh yea, no free breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ncroadtoad
KevinGeneralManager, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback, as much as hearing bad things is difficult, rest assured we use this information to make our hotel better.
We are all very frustrated that our new elevators are not working as promised, especially on a sold out holiday weekend. We have been working hard with Delta Corporate office to rectify the situation with the elevator company.
As a full service hotel we do not offer continental breakfasts, we do however have packages that can include such components.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Although it is a very nice clean hotel and the front desk was sympathetic my overall experience was disappointing. No one let us know in advance that the hotel elevators were not working and EVERYONE had to use the one service elevator with the staff and cleaners, carts etc. This meant very long waits and I had to use the stairs a few times which is not that easy being a senior with a bad hip.
The worst experience was in the dining room. Do Not Eat There. I ordered a 10oz steak with a $9 side of JUMBO shrimp. It turned out to be the thinnest steak I have ever seen, somewhere between fast fry and luncheon meat and the JUMBO shrimp amounted to 3 tiny shrimp the size of a loonie.
Randy, our waiter asked how our meal was and when I complained about the size for $80, he just said "PERFECT" and walked away. It still bothers me that I tipped that arrogant waiter or the kitchen staff.
When I complained to the front desk, all I got was "Oh, I'm so sorry". That's it, nothing else like they don't give a crap.

Room Tip: Make sure the elevators are repaired unless you are on the ground floor and do not eat at the hote...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wr W
Tasha G, Restaurant Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Sir,

Please accept my apologies for your experience at Delta Sault Ste. Marie and in View Restaurant + Bar.

We were faced with the unexpected breakdown of our elevator on a holiday weekend which was deemed un-repairable. The situation was not ideal and unfortunately you , the guest, suffered an unpleasant experience.

Please contact me vial email at tony.iacoe@deltahotels.com I will gladly refund the cost of your entree, shrimp side order and the gratuity you left your server.

Tony Iacoe
Manager - View Restaurant + Bar
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel has a beautiful location right on the river and is very nice outside and well maintained. The lobby is gorgeous and the bar area is impressive too.

The only issue we had with this hotel is that the halls leading to rooms smell kind of musty. My wife felt that should reduce the rating two two stars. They do need to do something about this.

The room was large and well equipped; excellent bathroom. Comfortable bed. Definitely worth a four star rating. The staff at the desk were very friendly. All in all, a fine experience; we would certainly stay here again.

We had dinner in the bar and it was great! Service was a tad slow, however; we walked in and sat down but nobody acknowledged us till we asked for menus. But the food was excellent; (we had hot sandwiches and soup). We did not eat in their restaurant. We did not use the other facilities either since we were only there for one night. ***Breakfast is NOT included and take-out coffee is about $3, however. But it's close to small take-out places.

Room Tip: Get a view of the river if possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel is really nice, modern, clean and comfortable. It's also right on the waterfront, which is great. The service was by and far good and friendly. There were some oddities that you can work around - the cleaning service can come knocking early, 8:30 AM early, so be sure to post a do-not-disturb sign. Also, the pool doesn't really have an adult swim hour, even though that is posted on the health room's wall. Parents are responsible for kicking their kids out at the appointed hour, and from what we saw that doesn't happen. And finally, the Sunday brunch is very popular, so popular you'd need a reservation to get in - so book ahead on that one. Otherwise, the place is great and I would definitely return there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wawa, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Recently stayed in the hotel for a wedding and got a reasonable rate. The meal was catered by the hotel and was the best wedding food I have ever had! If that quality is what the food is like off of the menu in the restaurant then it is worth trying! The rooms are wonderful - they are always very quiet and very clean. We had drinks in the bar and the staff are polite and outgoing and did a great job mixing drinks. I love having a fridge in my room and even better I found the air conditioning kicking on/off was not disruptive to my sleep. I enjoy being steps from the mall and some excellent restaurants. This stay impressed me much more than the last and if you can get a discount rate it is more than worth the stay! The breakfast was really good, slightly expensive, however unless you get fast food for breakfast I find $15 for breakfast pretty standard now. Overall, this is where this I will stay in SSM!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were in the Sault for a wedding and chose the Delta for our stay. It was close to the Canadian Bush plane Museum and our room had a nice view of the waterfront. You can step outside and take a nice walk along the boardwalk. The room was super clean, there is a fridge in the room to keep your food and drinks on hand for convenience. Especially if you have kids. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Chose this hotel from hotwire, and what a great choice. From the friendly staff to the very well appointed room. Courtesy fridge always gets my vote, as does a fresh bathroom with plenty of counter space. It was very modern and a great value for the price. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I am looking for more Deltas on my road trip !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family