“2nd Visit ”

Chipican Motel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
falkirk scotland
Reviewed May 26, 2006

Went back to sarnia looked in at this motel to see if it had improved from my September05 visit. Sorry to say it was still the same. Filthy and the same surly character on the front desk. Didn't stay and didn't pay. Have passed my comments onto my Canadain friends and to Sarnia chamber of commerce

Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2005

The room amenities offered within room were more than to be expected. Staff were extremely friendly and provided prompt service. The room rates were incredible considering the location and amenities offered. I will most assuredly return to this motel.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2005

This "motel" filth hole is nearer the truth. Grabs your money then gives you the key. ALL unoccupied room have the drapes closed so that culable punters cannot see the dirt till they pay their hard earned cash.When you complain and ask for your money back it is against internet booking policy for them to do so LIES they set the policy not the internet. I tried 2 seperate "clean rooms" before walking out. each room was filthy fly ridden and I would not have taken my shoes off to walk on their carpets. The bath was rusty the wall tiles cracked from floor to ceiling. The cupboard under tiolet sink was stinking and soaking wet the shelve was twisted from damp the bed sheets were stiched and looked as if someone had used a knife on them the top one had a washed in stain which looked like blood.THEY CLAIM TO BE CLEAN and AFFORDABLE. I have seen cleaner doss houses

• Stayed: September 2005
11  Thank alex40
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed June 22, 2005

I wish I had come to this website to read the reviews before I paid my hard earned $63.08 to spend the night at this place. This is the worst place we've ever stayed in... even worse than the backwoods motel we previously thought was the worst in Paduca, Kentucky when the hotel clerk asked us to borrow money for cigarettes.

After waiting for a while in the stuffy little registration room, we checked in and were assigned to room #8. After we got our stuff in the room, it was stifling hot (it was in the 90's that day) so I went to turn on the a/c. My husband sleeps with a fan every night and plugged it in to help circulate the cool air since the a/c unit seemed to be old as the hills.

The room had a door that connected to the next room but there was no lock on it... it had masking tape around the whole door, taping it to the casing and masking tape was also covering the hole in the door where the door knob/lock should have been. The television did not work... so I messed around with it and got it working and even programmed it so that we could get in more channels. I put a chair in front of the masking taped door so that if someone did happen to get in, at least we'd hear it. The room smelled bad but I assumed it was from the heat & humidity since it was supposed to be a non-smoking room.

We needed to eat supper so we decided to go get something to eat. As we were driving back into the parking lot after eating, the man who had checked us in walked to us (barefoot) and said, We have a problem... the power is out. I got all excited thinking we'd get our money back and we could go somewhere else. He said he was going to check the breaker. After about 1/2 hour, the power came back on and we heard a knock on the door. My husband opened the door and in walks the barefoot guy asking if everything came back on. He then walked over to where my husband's fan was running and said we could NOT run the fan because that is what caused the whole building to blow. My husband told him that we would not be staying there if he could not run the fan and the guy said it is too much for their electrical system. So my husband asked for our money back but the guy said since we booked over the internet we could not get a refund. The guy told us to unplug and a/c and we could use the fan... or unplug the microwave & fridge. It was a total mess...

The guy finally left and we decided to take showers... the bathroom was atrocious and the shower water came out in a fine mist soaking everything in the whole bathroom... my shoes & clothes were dripping wet when I got out. I had my husband hand me my slippers because I was afraid to walk on the floor barefoot. The bathroom had cracks in the tile and even if someone did try to fill the cracks, they never wiped off the excess. I wish I had taken pictures so I could have shown my kids how bad it really was... words are not able to describe how yucky it was.

The motel is not in a bad area of town but I did not feel safe... we did not sleep well because there were motorcycles in & out and we were ready to get out of there as soon as we got up.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2005

Has to be, by far, "The Worst" motel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. Trust me, other comments made in the other reviews are exactly correct. Our room, as described by my 14 year old son, must have been a crime scene as per the tell tale signs of blood on the carpet and I have to add the the smell of the room led one to believe that my son was not far off from the truth. They did however have the forsight to remove the chalk outline before we checked in. The filth of this place was absolutely incredible! Beds held up with bricks. Baseboard heaters hidden behind the headboards of the bed. The room had obiviously not been cleaned nor had the sheets been changed. Unfortunately, it became necessary for my husband and I to bathe our 16 month old son, but incredibly we were unable to keep any water in the tub. If we could have gotten away with just sponge bathing him, we would gladly have done it to avoid any contact with the mould that infested the shower and tub! Oh and yes we did the convenience of a microwave, but the inconvenience came when there was not outlet in which to plug the appliance in. So in order for us to warm up a baby bottle, I had to get my husband to carry the microwave over to the sink and pug it in the outlet over the sind...yes, over running water, becuse the faucet would not shut off. He had to hold it while I warmed the bottle as there was nowhere for him to place it while we used it! I will be notifying the proper authorities about this sorry excuse for a motel. It wasn't fit for cockroaches let alone people!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed January 3, 2005

This was a complete disasater. The room was filthy, complete with 1/2 inch of dust on baseboards and an old leather chair that was in such bad condition it was being held together with duct tape and management had thrown an old mangy blanket over it. When I pulled the comforter off the bed I discovered to my horror that not only was there only one sheet on the bed, but it had not been changed since the last guests had used it! The hot water> tap on the sink was broken and ran constantly raising the humidity level in the room to extremely uncomfortable levels, coupled with the fact that the room's heater was located right under the headboard and even though I had turned it off it radiated heat to the point of almost burning my husbands hand. The colour television was in shades of purple only and the "microwave" was understandably non-functional since it was approx 20 years old or more. The real clincher came when at 11:30 PM, just after my children, my husband and I had settled into bed, my husband had to get up and go next door to ask the neighbours, whom we can only assume were contracters to the motel, to stop hammering, as they seemed to think this would be a could time to begin working!
Buyer Beware!

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orangeville, ON
Reviewed January 1, 2005

"Comfortable & Clean Rooms" offered in the web site description couldn't be further from truth. Room 12 was outfitted with a King bed that looks to be a salvaged waterbed that had the water mattress replaced with just a mattress, no box spring. The bedding (sheets & blanket) barely covered the mattress. Speaking of the 60's, it looks like the room has not been renovated since the 60's. Complete with flocked, torn wallpaper in the main room and silver foil wallpaper, also torn, in the bath area. The bath area had more mold on the tile grout than a cheese warehouse and the thermostat in the bathroom was frozen with rust & wouldn't budge. Wondering why I didn't ask change rooms, this is the best of 3 I saw! The pictures on the web site may have been from a "renovated" room but was not one of the ones I saw. Since there were only 5 cars in the parking lot, and 3 were from our group, I can only assume the "good rooms" were snapped up by those other 2 "guests". This experience proves out the adage you only get what you pay for but in this case what I paid was not worth the mattress on a plywood platform and the mold.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member