“Not bad at all!”

Hana Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 210 Restaurants in Sarnia
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: My wife and I had lunch here yesterday (August 9, 2011). The restaurant opened on July 29th at the old Pepper Jack’s / Kelsey’s location. We enjoyed our meal. The cost, excluding trip, was $32.95 for the two of us. Japanese restaurants seem to be a little on the pricey side so this amount was not unexpected. On this particular day they were having problems with their credit/debit card system, and it was a “cash-only” operation. Patrons were directed to a cash machine at a nearby bank in the same plaza. The lunch clientele seemed mostly drawn from the casually dressed vacation crowd on this day. The restaurant advertises itself as “all you can eat”, but it is not buffet style. When we sat down we had to fill out an order form using the menu as a guide and the dishes were then brought to our table. That arrangement might be a problem to diners unfamiliar with Japanese food. How do you know what to try without seeing what was on offer? We filled out our order form, trying to judge how much food to ask for. We eventually placed a second order – just for dessert and there was no delay in having the additional food delivered. But with this kind of ordering system the waitress will likely make 5 to 10 trips to your table. When they get busy, I wonder if there will be delays? We experienced none however. Everything we ordered was very fresh and tasty and we enjoyed each and every dish. I guess here in the West we expect our waitresses to have a smile on their faces and generally give the impression that they enjoy their work and appreciate us being there. At Hanas, the waitresses seem to be mostly Chinese girls, and they show very little personality with the customers. To be fair, one or two did respond with a smile to other diner’s friendly remarks, but our waitress was blank-faced throughout. That needs improving. The décor is really nice and the washrooms are spacious and high class. I hope this restaurant is a success here in Sarnia and we will have another permanent outlet for Japanese food. They just need to get the waitresses to learn how to smile as they deliver really tasty food.
Ontario
“Not bad at all!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

It was just new and we were just a few women out to have fun. The menu and ordering was a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it was easy and the food excellent. Everything comes hot and speedily and it is almost as quick as a fast food restaurant, but with a little more decor. Try it, not just Japanese food, but a variety.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank darkeyes456

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always good!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The atmosphere is nice- the decorating is the best I've ever seen in an AYCE restaurant, it's a good and different experience and the value is great! My friends and I go here about once a week and we loooove it

1 Thank Amy M
Sarnia, Canada
“Best lunch value in town”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have not been for dinner, but we try to go regularly for lunch. The variety & quality is excellent and the price is unbelievably low.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Bob3998
Sarnia, Canada
“Great Experience at Hana”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Our whole group really enjoyed our first time being to Hana. We loved the food and the atmosphere. I will be returning to Hana soon.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank bobi23
“What did they change?”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I've left a previous positive review. But I've been back 3 or 4 times since and every single time now I get a screaming migraine. I only get migraines if I eat too much MSG. Which leads me to believe they've upped the MSG in the food or got a different supplier who does.
It's still a beautiful restaurant with great service and fantastic prices. But the price is negated when I have to take a $50 migraine pill.

• Visited May 2012