“Nicest Chain Hotel Stay We've Had”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Guildwood Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Georgetown, Canada
“Nicest Chain Hotel Stay We've Had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

We were very pleasantly surprised by this gem in Sarnia. The suite we booked was very luxurious for the price. The room was clean and big. Toiletries provided included everything you could think of and we were surprised to find that robes and slippers were also provided. Something we did not expect for the price. The bed was very comfortable and even the air conditioner was quieter than you usually find. We can't wait for another reason to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

We decided to go to Sarnia because we had never been over that way for vacation. When we pulled up to the entrance and saw that there was some renovation being done we thought great....but it turnrd out ok. It was only the lobby at that time, but they had lots of perks. Out\r room was huge and very clean as we were unpacking they delivered a basket of goodies for the inconvience plus an invitation to come down to the bar area for appietizers and a drink on them. It was great!!! We also had breakfast included in our stay, because there is a Smitty's in the hotel. It was very good....as we checked out there was a huge bowl of fresh apples for the guest to take along with them. All in all we enjoyed our stay ther and would defintely go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

First of all, even finding this hotel is a challenge! The address may say Sarnia, but the GPS doesn’t find it there, but in the Village of Point Edward. The address then appears 1.5 km away from the hotel’s actual location (which is just off London Road on Venetian). Not their fault, but still inconvenient. Overall, the location is quite OK for business around town, and it is right next to the Bluewater Bridge to the USA.

The hotel is, as many have noted, under construction. At time of writing, the lobby was being re-built. However, there was no noise during the time I was at the hotel, i.e. any work was being done only during the day.

Check-in was quick and efficient. You get a breakfast coupon for the next day, but have to come back daily for each following morning’s coupon. This could perhaps be improved.

The hotel is certainly showing its age, and the improvements that have been made over the years do help a bit, but don’t hide the fact that this is an old building. For instance, while the beds are wonderful and comfortable, the bathroom features an old tub but a new shower. The rooms are painted in a dark beige, and feature brown carpets and brown upholstered furniture, and are generally not very attractive.

The first evening there was an unbearably loud, throbbing noise above my room, likely from an air conditioner or similar on the roof. Fortunately, the weather cooled off and so that noise was no longer heard. Beware of rooms in the 20x range corridor if this sort of thing bothers you.

The internet connection was OK the first night, but failed completely the second one. Nobody was able to fix it, and so I was unable to get any productive work done the second evening and morning of my stay. The staff was apologetic, but that’s about it.

Breakfast is served in an on-site, but independent restaurant. The choices are very limited (eggs, pancakes, fruit/yogurt) and the staff seemed very stressed by the half-full room. Coffee and juice are self-serve; the staff only take your order and bring you your meal. Note that the breakfast coupon does not include any gratuity, a fact that is highlighted on the coupon and on the menu.

I would likely choose another hotel for a return visit to Sarnia.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank okazon69
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

Excellent bedroom amenities, very clean, and the bed is something out of this world! very comfortable. staff quite genuine, and helpful. location is ok, you'll need a car in this town, but very close to the sarnia-lake huron Blue water bridge crossing! I would stay here again for sure, but would be better if they can upgrade the public area for better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto ON CAN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

CHECK-IN
With the current Best Western ads on TV I came here with elevated expectations. Walking in I immediately sensed that they weren't going to be met. The dated lobby was under construction and there didn't seem to be anyone behind the counter. Turns out there was but I had to make myself known where then Julie directed me to a different desk to check-in. No warm hello/greeting, just "that desk over there". While I was standing there, she buzzed up to one of the housekeeping staff on a walkie talkie to ask if 232 was clean. The reply was yes, but to get the air conditioner checked out because when the girls were turning it over they said it was hot in there. So I was handed the card keys to 232 and heard her buzz the maintenance guy Bill to check out the AC after me.

ROOM #1
Bill was friendly and told me parts had been ordered for that unit but it hadn't come in yet. He offered to replace the whole thing with another one, saying it would only take 10mins. A younger colleague Nick helped him remove it and put in the replacement but they quickly realized that the replacement unit lacked a power cord. So back in went the original unit. I'm wondering for a large property why they haven't updated to a central AC system rather than individual room units. At that point I said I could just take another room. Bill offered to call down and request it for me. I was given 223 and Bill said he would let me in the room and the front would have someone bring up the new card keys. We get to 223 and the TV is blaring, the room is not yet ready and a housekeeper is no where in sight, which was odd because some young housekeepers were making a commotion about bugs outside of the emergency exit door a moment ago during the whole AC switch and switchback.

ROOM #2
At this point I'm at my tipping point to go back to the front desk and get a ready room but I'm not one to make a scene so when I run into the staffer bringing the card keys on the way back I take them and wait for the housekeeper to finish making the bed. After a long drive I just want some peace. It kind of irked me watching her make the bed - the pillows I were to use were on the ground (?) before she put fresh pillow cases on them - god only knows when those carpets were last vacuumed much less steam cleaned.

The room is standard but spacious. The bathroom has a curved shower rack but instead of the travel size products on the counter there's a general dispenser on the bath wall. The toilet doesn't flush easily (you have to hold down the awkwardly placed handle on the left side of the toilet) and the fan doesn't seem to be working because the mirror fogged up when I showered. The three pillows turned out to be lumpy and while the mattress was fine, I can't say I had the best sleep. Throughout the night I frequently heard the doors to the stairs slam hard whenever someone entered or exited. I also heard the loud plumbing of a bathroom above me (sounded like someone drawing water at full blast).

BREAKFAST
You get a complimentary breakfast in the Smitty's restaurant downstairs but when I head down around 7:30am there's only 2 staff handling the whole dining room. There's a long table of young adults in the corner and a handful of people already seated, some eating. It's a la carte instead of buffet, which would be fine if they had the staff for it. Granted it's a weekday, a high volume isn't expected but the people walking in are steady. The male server tries his best to acknowledge new arrivals and the female server directs me to pick a table. It'll be awhile before she remembers me and takes my order. She apologizes and I can tell for her she's had a harried start to the day. The food is standard diner-style. If you're not having coffee you help yourself to juice and other beverages at the side counter.

OVERALL
This Best Western is adequate at best, I really only stayed here out of convenience for an event being held in one of the function rooms. The professionalism of some of the staff left a lot to be desired - I felt Bill the maintenance guy was probably the most courteous out of all the others I encountered. The hotel is in need of a full refresh - it felt more motel than hotel. I would've liked to use the facilities like the pool or gym but with the renovations in the lobby and the fiasco with the rooms I was less inclined and chose to explore the city instead.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank herroyalmelness
Topeka, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

Easy access to the freeway. Very pleasant staff and the room was excellent. The pool looked good, but we didn't use it because there are no steps to get into it. The free breakfast was very good, but the restaurant is not very good for anything else. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

I booked one of the suites which was not expensive although not in the main season. Felt like a new wing of the hotel. Lounge, bedroom,,jacussi and shower, 2 large slim tvs,could not fault it , very spacious for just over Can$100.Nice location considering a boarder town. Downside, large pool not heated and a little scruffy. Restaurant ajoining but somewhat down market compared to the hotel.There was quite a bit of noise from other rooms ( toilets, baths etc. ) The room was so good would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo