“Great Hotel if you don't have Kids”

Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed May 10, 2010

WE were in Sarnia for a soccer tournament this weekend May 8-9 .
As previously posted the hotel was nice the staff friendly. But the Militant security they had was over the top as team We always stay in a holiday were possible approx 14 nights a year we have never had a problem We were there with a team of 11-12 year old and they could not move through the hotel without security stopping them and harassing them. This started at 2 pm on Saturday in the afternoon they couldn't sit in the hallways, they couldn't use the computer room, they were not aloud to go from room to room , they had to have there shirts on on the way to the pool .they couldn't flip the latch to keep the doors open
I don't know if the security staff just didn't like kids or what......!
So when we realized what we were up against we decided that with the weather as bad as it was that we would check out the cost to rent a board room were the kids could watch the Pens and Habs play it took them 2 hours to back to me and then when they did .I was shocked they wanted us to pay an additional $186.00 plus gratuity to use a room that was already empty .
I would not recommend this hotel for anyone traveling with kids there is nothing except for a pool no games rooms , and with there security there no fun either

• Stayed: May 2010
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2010

The health and safety of our guests and employees is our top priority. During extremely busy times, we schedule security to ensure that our policies are being followed so that guests are not disturbed and everyone can have an enjoyable stay.
Prior to all group arrivals, a detailed team release is sent to all group convenors outlining some basic policies which, in turn, is signed and returned to the hotel.
We have been proudly accomodating families and groups with children at this hotel for over 40 years as we have two heated pools (indoor/outdoor), whirlpool, sauna, permanent outdoor ping pong table, Kids Eat Free as well as a 9 hole golf course on site. Your feedback is appreciated as we continually evaluate all of our services to our guests.

Reviewed April 3, 2010

I stayed here on March 29th, 2010. Yes part of it is older, but it is well maintained and golf course behind the hotel and the nearby river and bridge make for some wonderful views. The thing that sets this hotel apart from most Holiday Inn's is Fernada DeCarolis, Priority Club Lead. She welcomes all Priority Club members with a separate check in desk. In the evening she always has warm cookies, fresh fruit and cold soft drinks available for FREE! Fernanda even had my room rate discounted due to an agreement with my company - one that I had forgotten about. Best of all she offers a warm smile and makes the weary business traveler feel like he is coming home to an old friend! The rest of the staff is also excellent. The internet worked just fine with decent, consistent speed.

Phil Bureman, Nalco Co. Olathe, Kansas, USA

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank pebureman
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Mr. Bureman – Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with fellow travelers. I am pleased to read that our unique additional service of a Priority Club office is a benefit to you. Fernanda our Priority Club Lead has a heart to serve our guests along with our other fellow team members. Our top service is what we are known for and we enjoy being the home away from home to our guests. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed February 6, 2010

Stayed at the Holiday Inn on Thursday Feb 4th, 2010 to attend a line of duty death of a firefighter from Point Edward. Four of us each had a room in the new tower of the hotel. The check in was fine, with friendly staff and no delays. We each got to our room and were pleasently surprised by the size and cleanliness of the property. As we had just travelled from Kingston, we were all tired and in need of food and beverages. We proceeded to the hotel bar. Once again, the bartender and other staff were extremelly friendly and engaging. The bar is your typical hotel lobby bar, suitable for some food and a couple of drinks. We looked at the menu but did not order any food. I should mention that the menu did look good and probably has something for everyone. I have travelled extensivlly in my life and am never surprised at the high prices in hotels and airports. This place however WAS NOT LIKE THIS. Prices were surpisingly reasonalble. I should mention that there is nothing within walking distance, however cab rides are cheap. The casino has a shuttle that runs constantly from the hotel.

I would definatly stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone. I should m

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

I am delighted to read your review and to know you enjoyed your experience with Holiday Inn Sarnia/Point Edward from the point of booking, to your interactions with our team members as well as your guestroom. I would just like to make a side note for all of the readers that the shuttle from the Point Edward Casino was a unique arrangement and just for the event that was attended. Our respects go out to you and to all of the firefighters for the sacrifices made to save lives.

Reviewed February 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel several times (5) during the past year and only because there is not much choice in Sarnia. Sometimes everything is good and sometimes its extremely bad.
We were awakened at 2 o'clock in the morning because of drunks next door, and all the front desk did was make us to move to the old part of the hotel (we had pay for the room on top of that). Front desk did not care! Another time we had to change rooms twice because they were filthy (dirty sheets dirty pillows and dirty towels) TWICE C'mon get your act together! obviously the staff is not doing the job their supposed to do. Time to crack down on your people Mr. Manager. Your front desk clerks are not that friendly either. I travel quite a bit and always stay at holiday Inns or staybreeze suites when I can,
I can assure you that I never received poor sevice like what I got in Sarnia. Thumbs down! for now I cannot recommend this hotel. I will be staying there again
in 2010 hopefully it will improve. Mr. Manager I wrote this review because i thought you should know what's going on in your hotel. Hopefully you will tell your staff to do a better job at cleaning and the Front Desk should treat your customers better. Time to do some Quality Control and surprise checks. Don't forget to check the sofa bed linens they were dirty in two different rooms. Have a nice day!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alfonsio
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2010

Your honest feedback is great but, at the same, a real disappointment to read. I was very sorry to see that some of our other guests had disturbed your night as we always hire Security for the hotel on busy hockey weekends to assist us with any noise issues. Consistent service and room cleanliness are our top priorities and we have comprehensive training programs and cleanliness standards in place. As we have just completed our entire linen and terry cloth (towel) replacement program with our Brand Relaunch, I was very surprised and disappointed to hear that you had problems in these areas. These inconsistencies are not to our standard and for that I do apologize. It would be greatly appreciated if you could contact me at the hotel (519-336-4130) as I would like the opportunity to personally apologize, discuss and follow up on your concerns.

Reviewed December 17, 2009

The Holiday Inn in Sarnia is not a bad hotel. The staff... and I'm talking about every person I talked to, was great.
I stayed in the old part of this hotel. The beds and desks I think have been upgraded but the bathrooms and carpet were sooooooooo bad. Bathrooms are so important. My tv also and tv remote did not work so great.
The bar was very good though I ordered food and waited an hour... The waitress was so nice.. and I asked her... "did you order my food from the kitchen?" She had not and the kitchen closes after 10PM. I reminded her at 10:15PM. No food but I got a couple of beers from the error (my tip paid covered it and more).
The pool is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very old. The paint is bubbled on the wall (mold for sure under the paint) and overall is just dirty. I was honestly afraid to go in the hot tub or the pool.
If you are going there at 8PM to sleep and go away in the morning.. yes, do it. If you are looking for anything other than a bed and a warm room... go to another hotel. For $100-$150 you can get better.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Lovemytravels121
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback with your experience at our hotel. I was very pleased to read that our guest service was "great" from every employee you encountered and that the staff made all of the difference. It was disappointing to read some of the product issues you described. For that, I do apologize as we are continually upgrading and renovating our hotel each and every year.
I am sorry that the pool was not up to your expectations. We have dedicated pool attendants cleaning the pool, pool deck, change rooms, hot tub, sauna and fitness centre eight hours per day every day of the week. The whirlpool water is drained and refilled every day and our salt-water pool water is constantly filtered and cycled 24/7. As the indoor pool is, by nature, an extremely humid area, we will be making some changes/improvements to the wall surfaces in order to ensure it looks 100% presentable 100% of the time. I appreciate the gift of your comments and will be using them to continue to make some positive changes within the hotel.

Reviewed December 16, 2009

We wanted to get out of town for my birthday and had never been to Sarnia so we figured -- why not try some place new.

The girls at the front desk were very nice and welcoming. My husband mentioned in passing that we were staying for my birthday and when we got back from exploring the town a staff member surprised us with a red rose, balloon and cheesecake from their restaurant. How wonderful!

We stayed in a King suite in the tower with Jacuzzi tub and vaulted ceilings. The room was spacious and very clean.

The hotel is conveniently located close to the bridge and the casino.
We plan on coming back for Bayfest and will stay here again. Make sure you eat Bridges in the hotel. Another delightful experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your enjoyable experience with others regarding your birthday getaway to our city and our hotel. On behalf of the entire Holiday Inn Sarnia Team we are so happy you enjoyed our Jacuzzi suite, Bridges restaurant and our overall guest service. We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed December 3, 2009

Worst HI I've ever stayed in. One usually expects some cleanliness and consistency across the board for such a huge chain, the sarnia location must be the exception. I spent 5 of my 7 nights there talking with front desk and tech trying to solve the wifi signal issues. As did most of my colleagues and other travellers who preceded me to speak with front desk. I also had a fair bit of black mildew in the tub, full ashtray and filthy patio set.. The shower nozzle was coming out the wall and numerous unidentified red stain on the carpet. Spoke with manager who offered me dinner on my last night- then spoke with HI directly and still have not had any follow up on my issues. The tower section of the hotel is apparently new and a fair bit nicer. IMHO the Best Western down the street looked like a better bet.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank cxisforhaters

Although we've had the occasion to speak both in person and on the phone in mid December in terms of appropriate resolution/restitution to you for your Wifi issues, I wanted to wait a couple of months to respond to your post. You see, I wanted to be 100% certain that we had solved the problem. A week after your stay with us, we successfully determined the cause of our wireless internet issue to be our cordless hand-held phones. As both the wireless phones and our wireless internet system operated on the same frequency, the internet signal was being adversely affected and was causing intermittent signal loss as well as a generally weaker signal for all users. By replacing all 217 hand-held phones with new cordless phone sets using a different frequency than our wireless internet system, we have unequivocally resolved the issue as we have not had 1 internet-related complaint in 2 months.
As for the room condition comments, I personally inspected your room after your check-out but did not find any mildew only some missing tile grout. This was addressed and regrouted immediately. I want to apologize once again to you and to all of our guests who have experienced this wireless frustration. A big thank-you to you specifically for your focused details and comments which ultimately lead us to the final solution.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnia
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sarnia/Point Edward
Comfort Inn
#4 of 16 in Sarnia
1 mi away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron

Been to Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center? Share your experiences!