“Clean and comfortable, but noisy A/C unit”

Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night during a multi-day road trip. Check-in was done in the evening; front desk staff were courteous and efficient. Our room, in the west wing, was clean. The bathroom was clean. It had a curved shower rod and an above average shower nozzle and controls (the volume of water control was separate from the temperature control). The A/C unit in our room was unacceptably noisy. We ran it for awhile before bed, but there was no way we could sleep with it running, so we had a fairly hot night.

We enjoyed our light dinner in the hotel bar. There is no complimentary breakfast at this location.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent road trip mtrodgers99. I really do appreciate you sharing the details of your experience with us.
I apologize that the in-room HVAC unit was noisey and ultimately led to a warmer room than you desired. Going foward, if I could ask you to please call down to the Front Desk, we will do our best to rectify this or any issue immediately. I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed the cleanliness and overall comfort of your room as well as the high level of service at check-in.
We all look forward to being of service to you and your wife again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center

Reviewed May 6, 2014

After my last stay and Tripadvisor review, I got a response from
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Suggesting that I give them another try and regrettably I did.

Plus
Large room with nice working desk
Liked the kurig coffee maker and assorted coffees
Gym was good but gets too busy, too fast.
Restaurant isn’t cheap, but the food was ok and saves me a trip into town – expect to pay about $40 for a meal + dessert
Business center looks clean, nice and spacious, but I haven’t used it
AC unit not too loud

Cons
No warm cookie or water when I checked in.
Internet access was terrible. The people at the front desk explained that the hotel is sold out congesting the network and they are expecting an upgrade next week. They suggested trying first thing in the morning to see if I experience the same problem. I was up a 5 am in an attempt to send my emails with no luck and ended up going to the Boulevard Grill to have dinner and get my emails out. On a brighter note, the food there and service was 1000% better than the hotel.
I had breakfast at a local diner as well. So the hotel now lost a customer and revenue from meals as well…

Took a few tries to get someone at the front desk to pick up to set up a wake-up call.

They said they were too busy fielding internet performance issues, go figure.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thank you for giving us a second chance and providing feedback about your stay. I was glad to read you enjoyed your room.
My sincere apologies regarding the wireless issues you experienced as we are in the midst of upgrading our system to fiber optic. This upgrade will enable us to provide over 5x the band width we previously were able to offer. What that means is improved connectivity and that all of our guests will be able to upload and download much quicker.
As of March 1st, our hotel has changed the benefits to our IHG Rewards program. Due to feedback the brand has received from our guests, IHG has directed all hotels to provide consistent benefits to our reward members. As a result, all local benefits such as warm cookies, etc. have been discontinued as per Brand standard. I truly hope that we can be of service to you again.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I attended a 2 conference here a week ago, and found this to be a very nice hotel. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and well maintained, quiet (despite being right next to the highway leading to the international boarder crossing) and well above average, especially considering the reasonable room rate.

The only food I had during my stay was the Hotel's catered evening dinner, plus breakfast and lunch the following day. All were served buffet style, and the set up was more than adequate to handle our numbers in a reasonably quick time. The food itself, was great.

The only problems experienced were the TV control system (would not let me skip the pay-for-view selections and just watch the cable channels, and had to cal the front desk for instructions on how to re-boot the system) and the Wifi (would only let me long on my laptop using Internet Explorer, which I deplore, would not allow log-on with Chrome - Although service to my smart phone worked without a problem)

Overall, good choice and good value.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank John_from_Chesley
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

John_from_Chesley,
I was very happy to see that you were pleased with your hotel choice and that you felt your two day experience with us was a good value. I will definately share your comments about our exceptionally friendly staff and clean/well-maintained hotel with the Team. I apologize for the TV and IT inconvenience as I know that they both can be quite frustrating. We are in the midst of improving and upgrading these services for all of our guests. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments as they both much appreciated!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I just attended a conference at this Holiday Inn..stayed there from Friday to Sunday and had a great time..rooms were clean, and green recycling available...food both in Freighters lounge and in the convention itself was very good, not the old Holiday Inn fare, it definitely has been taken up several levels. Everyone was friendly and helpful, it was one of the most relaxing conferences I have ever attended and free WiFI

Room Tip: Main floor rooms have a patio door so you can sit outside in nice weather and load and unload your c...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Barbara T

Thank you so much Barbara T for taking the time to share your experience with us. It sounds like you had a great time at your Conference...from the clean guest room, the friendly helpful staff to the delicious food that was served throughout your stay. I was very pleased to see that you had such a relaxing Conference experience with us. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I had read lots of mixed reviews about the Holiday Inn in Sarnia before booking, but we were quite happy with our room.

We booked a King Tower - the rate was quite reasonable; the room was lovely - very clean and spacious. Our room faced the park/golf course and was very quiet.

There were the sounds of kids running back and forth in the hallway on the floor above us in the late afternoon/early evening, but we knew when booking this hotel that many families at hockey tournaments stay at this hotel. Kids are kids and this is what they do when in hotels and honestly it didn't bother us a bit. And by 8PM we didn't hear a peep.

The front desk staff were very friendly and it was a very quick check in for a Friday night. The hotel seemed to be pretty full which is always a good sign.

The area this hotel is in is very quiet and it's a lovely walk to the Point Edward Charity Casino.

We will be back in the warmer weather and would like to check out their golf course and patio.

If you book this hotel make sure to eat at the Lounge or Bridge's Restaurant. Their wait staff is great and the food is absolutely delicious - be sure to try their French Onion Soup, it was the best I have ever had! They have a great breakfast menu as well.

Room Tip: Everyone on this site says to book a Tower room. We did and we weren't disappointed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DittoExeter
Geoff E, Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear DittoExeter,
We are very happy that you will be back and that you had such a fabulous experience at our hotel! Thank you for such a detailed and thorough review of your stay. These insights are very helpful for fellow travellers and help us improve our product and services as well. Looking forward to seeing you back enjoying the patio and the golf course.

Hilary Higgins
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here many times for business and will keep going back. Location is excellant and the resturaunt is good. Rooms in the old side of the building are very dated, but the new tower rooms are very nice.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Craig M
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thanks for staying with us so many times Craig as we appreciate being your preferred hotel of choice while on business in Sarnia/Point Edward. Nice to see you had a chance to try our fabulous restuarant Bridges as we are very proud of both the quality of food and the friendly service. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

This well run hotel is very close to the border which makes it ideal when we are visiting the USA. We had a main floor room and it was clean, quiet, well lit and comfortable. Nice bed and very nice pillows. We enjoyed our supper and breakfast at the in house restaurant. We will definitely stay again on our return to Canada. The free WiFi had a good signal strength which is important to both my wife and I.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DWGB

It sounds like you had a fantastic experience DWGB and it was great to have you and your wife back in the hotel once again. Thanks for sharing all of the positive details of your stay with us and your fellow travellers. We hope to see you again soon.

Geoff Eisenbraun, CHA

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnia
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sarnia/Point Edward
The Harbourfront Inn
The Harbourfront Inn
#7 of 16 in Sarnia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron

Been to Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center? Share your experiences!