“Great hotel, Great location”

Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed at this hotel recently as I was participating in a half marathon that started and finished at this location! The hotel staff were awesome, and the room was great! They gave me a 'late' checkout since I was doing the race, and I wanted to shower before I headed home! The hotel also provided a buffet breakfast/lunch (that was part of the race registration) and the food was wonderful!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Geoff E, Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Brenda M.,
Congratulations on completing the Hypothermic Half Marathon 2014! That is awesome! I was delighted to see you had a great experience at Holiday Inn Sarnia/Point Edward. Thank you for sharing your feedback with fellow travellers. We look forward to your next stay!

Hilary Higgins
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed February 5, 2014

The big minus:
after checking in, I found out that I was on the second floor in the WEST WING and there is NO elevator. Good thing I only had 2 bags.
like most in room heaters, the fan was a bit noisy for my liking, so I turned it right off when I went to sleep.

Some of the Pluses:
the fresh warm cookies were very good
staff was amazing, professional, polite and responsive
place and room was very clean
gym and pool is nice
restaurant is top notch and i would say better than many Hilton's. I had breakfast and dinner there.
water pressure and temp was good
internet access was good
tv was clear but changing channels had a noticeable delay
parking lot had lots of room

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you choosing to stay with us Churchill_Fortunato and for giving us some detailed feedback on your stay with us. We genuinely do appreciate all of the comments from our guests.

I apologize that the second floor of the West Wing does not currently have elevator access but we do have employees on hand 24/7 to assist all of our guests with luggage or any for request for that matter. All other areas of the hotel do have elevator access. Thank you for the 8 PLUSES that you noted including your great experience with the staff as well as the clean room and top notch food. We all look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was in Sarnia for work ( once again). I had never stayed here before. . The facility is very well run. Rooms great and the place very quiet even though it is near the bridge and a truck route. Surprise!! Staff well trained. The restaurant is probably the best spot to eat in town. Excellent food and a good view of the grounds behind the hotel. From the front it looks like nothing special but once you get in, you realize that it is exceptional. I travel often for work and finding good places to stay in smaller industrial cities is always a issue. Usually the food is such that going out to a fast food place is a good idea and the hotel restaurant serves only the guests that are too tired to go out. I went back here every night of my stay to enjoy the food. The restaurant in this Holiday Inn should be serving the local market as well. Nice touches: eg. the bread tray comes with fantastic house made humous and black olive tempenade I will not stay anywhere else in Sarnia. Period.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Geoff E, Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Hello Travellinglawyer2014,
Thank you for such a great review, as it sounds like you had a fantastic experience at our hotel. This is especially exciting since this is your first stay at our property! We agree that our restaurant Bridges is unique and offers great quality of service and food. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed our restaurant each night of your stay. We look forward to seeing you back and serving you once again!!

Hilary Higgins
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed January 30, 2014

At a hockey tournament one of the families came a night early and brought their children to the pool and were treated by having a middle aged woman walk around topless and with white underwear on - which of course were see thru when they got wet. It wasn't until the place got really busy that she put a towel around her. Her male companion used the public pool showers to wash in his underwear putting his hands inside his underwear. She was there for an hour. The management later claimed - after stressing to me how they closely monitor the pool and they closely supervise for the extensive and patronizing list of do's and don'ts including in the pool area...apparently not so much. When management contacted the father of the family who endured this inappropriate behaviour for almost a full hour, did not apologize or offer any sort of compensation, but instead chastised him for not leaving the pool and coming to the front desk to report it. Perhaps he should have, but management take your heads out of you-know where and supervise your own pool.

Beds were modern and comfortable with a choice of firm or soft pillows. Nothing special about the hotel, nothing really bad either. Reasonable value. I would definitely look for someone else to stay but location was good right beside the highway - although quite rooms. However, everyone I spoke with complained on how the heaters worked, blowing loudly even at their lowest setting, coming on and off very frequently all night...slept poorly because of it both nights we were there.

So, ho -hum.

Room Tip: suggest requesting a room looking away from the highway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Hi Forestree,
I am sorry that your experience at our hotel was just "ho-hum" and that some of your fellow teammates witnessed some inappropriate behaviour from our other guests in the pool area. As with every large hockey tournament, we do have a dedicated staff member monitoring/working the pool area. As you point out, this type of behaviour is completely unacceptable and we will not tolerate it.

I was happy to see that you enjoyed your clean room and comfortable bed and found our location to be convenient. I hope this rather odd one-off incident in the pool area doesn't deter you from staying with us again.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have stayed here several times in the past and it has always been a great stay. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, beds very comfortable. They have free WIFI, a pool, exercise room, lounge, and restaurant. The restaurant is a bit spicy for our taste, but nevertheless good food. We got the casino package which is great. They are located 1st exit over the USA/Canada bridge. I just wished they had shuttle to casino so can relax more while playing.

Room Tip: stay in tower
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

We are excited to have you both back at the hotel again stewystang!! It is always great to see and welcome back guests who have stayed with us previously. By the detailed comments in your review, it sounds like you two had a fantastic stay with us. Thanks for choosing us again and for taking the time to share. We look forward to seeing you back soon.
Take care,

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I stay here a few times a year and find this location consistent on service and room quality.

-Although a IHG Plat member I booked the best room so no upgrades possible. When I don't about 80% of the time I am upgraded to a 2-room Suite or Jacuzzi Suite in the Tower where the best rooms are.

-Room was very cleaned and well stocked. Front desk always polite and helpful.

-Excellent restaurant with an upscale menu. Maybe a bit to upscale some times but you have Pub fare options in the lounge. IHG Plat members get a $5 coupon for the restaurant.

-Lots of parking. Easy location for travellers just off the Expressway next to the Bridge.

Negatives

- I wonder why they never have bath robes in the Jacuzzi suites like most places do. Just a missing feature that really belongs in the premium rooms with a Jacuzzi.

- Outside doors at the Tower entrance seem to always have the button for Handicap not working which is a big obstacle for some people

Room Tip: Although near the expressway noise has never been a problem since they use heavy drapes. Tower rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TM643
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Welcome back T M and thank you taking the time to give us another review of your experiences at our hotel. I appreciate the details that you have offered to fellow travellers regarding our great restaurant Bridges and bar Freighters, the Tower Suites and the overall friendliness of our staff.
I also appreciate the notes on the Suite bathrobes as well as the malfunctioning Tower entrance wheelchair accessible button. I will be sure to follow up on both of these items immediately.
We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This was a nice surprise in Sarnia after a long drive in Michigan. Location is just few minutes after the border and there is enough parking spaces.

Check in was easy, staff was friendly and we were upgraded to executive tower. Room was spacious, clean and well kept. WiFi was stable and speed was good.

it was also a nice to notice that this hotel has own restaurant. The food was good and service was awesome.

There is nothing wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tommypee1
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for making us your hotel of choice and for taking the time to share your experiences about your stay with us. We always appreciate the comments from our guests as this feedback drives positive changes to our hotel. It was great to see that you really enjoyed yourselves especially the guestroom room cleanliness and the friendliness of all of the staff. As well, I was glad to read that had the opportunity to eat in Bridges.... and loved the experience!!

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future. Safe travels.