“Expensive and below average quality”

Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days for business, and while the hotel lobby, hallways, conference rooms and pool/fitness centers were great the rooms were not as nice. The room was well kept, relatively clean. But the bathroom was dated, old and dirty. Mildew and mold was in the shower and around the sink. The desk had chips out of it and the microwave was not the cleanest. The room was not worth the price i paid.

That said, the staff were friendly and helpful, but i will not be staying here again unless there is no other choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hi Matt,
I am so sorry that you had to deal with such poor bathroom condition and was very surprised and disappointed to read about it. I have taken room out of inventory until we investigate and rectify the issue. Although I was pleased to see that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay including the service from the staff, it does not negate the fact of the issue above. Please contact me at geisenbraun@fortisproperties.com or (519) 336 8840 so I can make this right. After our discussion, I sincerely hope that, by your own choice, we have the opportunity to serve you again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very nice. Well equipped. Full service restaurant was excellent with kids eating free. Very good food. Rooms are comfortable with great beds. Security went a little too far with there rules. Wouldn't let us in the halls. Wouldn't let us keep our doors open even though we were sitting or standing right in front of them. The security seemed on Saturday night like they were looking for a fight with some calm parents. Not impressed. The Friday older gentleman was just that. Was kind and polite and seen that we were calm so left us in the halls.

Stayed: November 2013
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

As a hotel that serves many types of guests, I was pleased to read that you as a hockey family found our hotel and amenities met all of your needs. I am sorry that you found that the approach of the security guard on the one evening was too "agrressive". However, we do have strict in house team policies in place that ensures all of our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Thanks for the feedback and good luck to you and your team in future tournaments!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in September. Arrived around 4pm, check in was smooth and the staff were very friendly. Went to get our bags from the car and entered through one of the side doors and saw probably one of the nastiest hallways ever, very dirty and full of cobwebs. Our first night we were in the older part of the hotel and the room looked clean enough aside from the seriously old dingy carpets. Unfortunately the room had some sort of a chemical smell to it.. very sulfur-like. Next morning after sneezing all night from what I can only assume was my dust allergies acting up, I called reception and asked to be moved to a newer room. No problem they moved me to a newer room on the other side of the building...my allergies were better but this room also had the harsh chemical smell. Didn't get a chance to check out the pool but heard it was ok. One thing to mention if your planning on having a social event at this hotel, food is mediocre at best. I would probably have it catered if possible.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here make sure you're in the new wing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues that you brought to our attention in your review. As cleanliness is extremely important to us, I was very disappointed to see that our entrance ways were not close to our standards at all. I have since walked all of the entrances with the Director of Housekeeping to ensure this will not happen again. I would like to assure all of our guests that our cleaning products are completely safe and environmentally friendly and have a fresh light scent. I was pleased to see you had a great check in and that you enjoyed the genuine hospitality of our staff. It would be our pleasure to serve you again!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights for business purposes. The lobby is nice and check in was quick and easy. I must say I was disappointed and I am a gold elite priority club member. My room was in the older section of the hotel. Apparently the newer rooms are in the tower and I am not sure what you have to do to secure one there,but ask when booking. The first room I was assigned to had a foul odour and I could not stay there. I had a co-worker and a staff member come and check it out and they agreed. My next room was better but not by much. The room was very musty and damp smelling. I opened the patio door each day to try to air it out. Too bad there was not a screen door on it to keep the bugs out. The bathroom was very tiny and the door almost hit the toilet when you closed it. I am not sure where your legs are supposed to go?? There was a microwave sitting on the vanity counter top outside the bathroom, so it kind of defeated the purpose of providing an extra space to get ready in the morning since the bathroom was so small. My room was "cleaned" every day. When I arrived there was a long dark hair, coffee grounds, and a stir stick on the counter around the front and side of the microwave. It was still there when I left 4 days later. The pool area and gym were nice. The waterfront is close by as the hotel is located beside the Bluewater Bridge. It is a nice place to go for a walk in good weather conditions. Avoid the hotel restaurant as it is very overpriced and the food was only fair. Breakfast is not included, which I think is ridiculous. Everyone in our meeting room complained about the temperature as it was very cold. The hotel staff were unable to fix this problem the entire four days. The management of this hotel has lots of work to do to say the least. I recently stayed at a hotel in another city for much less money, a nicer, cleaner room, and hot breakfast included in the morning. No comparison!

Room Tip: insist on a room in the tower
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Milkdud
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Milkdud - Thank you for giving such an honest and detailed account of your stay with us. As an IHG Rewards Gold Club member, I appreciate you staying with us.I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience with us and that you had multiple issues over the 4 days with us. This is not representative of this hotel from a product or service standpoint

At your convenience, please contact me at geisenbraun@fortisproperties.com or you can call me at 519 336 8840. I would like to discuss each of these issues with you so that I can better understand them and make it right! I appreciate you giving me the chance to respond to your concerns and hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I recently attended a kids sleepover birthday party at the Holiday Inn on Venetian Blvd. in Sarnia. Kids and parents had reserved 2 adjoining rooms for party. 8 kids in all attended with 4 staying over night. They had a great time in the swimming pool, exercise room and hot tub. The rooms were spacious with 2 bathrooms for changing. They did crafts in the room, played games and opened presents. In the restaurant the children's menu was more than adequate for these young ones. Some complimentary kids meals if adults ordered an entrée. Adult meals were delicious. After dinner we went back to the room for cake and were supplied ice cream by the waitress. Great place for a party. Kids were all happy and Mom had no mess at home to clean up.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

It sounds like a FANTASTIC party and that everyone really enjoyed themselves.....which is the whole idea when celebrating with family and friends!! As we just did a complete renovation (+$300,000) of the Indoor Pool, Change Rooms and Fitness Centre within the last year, I was pleased to see that you all enjoyed the new facilities. As we invented "Kids Eat Free", childrens birthday celebrations are a perfect time to take advantage of this program. Wonderful to hear that everyone thought it was a "great place for a party" and that all of the adults loved their meals.
Thanks for sharing!!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Don't you hate it when you must stand over the toilet to close the bathroom door??? I certainly do when using a public toilet but I never imagined that I would have to do the same while using a hotel bathroom!!! Clean, nice salt water pool. Our room actually overlooked the back grassed property - much nicer than a typical parking lot. Otherwise, the hotel is Holiday Inn average. Slamming outdoor doors could be heard throughout our visit.
Very close to the US border, the casino and the Sarnia Yacht Club.

Friendly helpful staff, nice breakfast (at additional cost).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Nese,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Check in was very sufficient and fast. Did not get the room in the tower, that was promised. Stayed at the 2 story side of the hotel and we could hear the party, that was going on in the hotel still late into the night. The room was ok, the bathroom really small. Bedding and mattress were good. We enjoyed the Bridges Bistro for Breakfast, it has a nice view towards the golf course. Lobby modern and big, but the rooms need updating.

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the new tower.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Mexx_10,

Thank you for your candid review. Your willingness to spare some of your time to review our hotel is genuinely appreciated. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnia
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sarnia/Point Edward
The Harbourfront Inn
The Harbourfront Inn
#7 of 16 in Sarnia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron

Been to Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center? Share your experiences!