“Great service and hotel for a good price”

Howard Johnson Inn Sarnia
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I am currently staying at this hotel for at least 2 weeks and will probably be back after a weekend for another 1-2 weeks. The hotel location is fine and from the outside it might look a little dated but on the inside the renovations are very nice. The staff is great and after a mix-up from my travel agency, my room was switched to what I had asked for with no problem. I'm a service technician and work on the road and sleep in hotels about 80% of the year. I do agree with what others said about the doors being old and all plus carrying a key is a little more complicated than a card key but if you rate the hotel low for that reason then you probably are a little too complicated. The breakfast room is very nice and the continental breakfast is not superb but it does the job very well. Rooms are clean and well-furnished for the price of the rooms. Wi-Fi internet works great and is easy to connect to. I have nothing wrong to say in general for this hotel.

Now here is some advice for Howard Johnson from someone that stays in A LOT of hotels:

The card that is on the night stand for the bed linen service is a great idea but Howard Johnson goes about it the wrong way. Instead of asking me to put that card on the bed to tell you that I don't need to get the linens change, you should do like most of the other hotels do and change the linens every 4 days except if the person puts the card on the bed. It's a hassle to remember to put the card every day because I'm environmentally friendly

For an environmentally friendly hotel, you should supply a small recycle bin like many hotels do.

I would look into serving a hot breakfast like many hotels are switching to because it will attract a lot of customers such as myself who will stay for a few days to a few weeks and also it is proven that it will attract regular one day customers over competitors with the continental breakfast.

It was just a few ideas for what I like in a hotels when I stay at them.

All in all I'm very happy at the moment with everything at this hotel and would recommend it without a problem to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Emmanuel_Germain
HojoSarnia, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Sarnia, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Thank you Emmanuel for reviewing us on tripadvisor. I think you are the very first to leave a review right from your room. I am so happy that I was able to change your reservation to better suit you at check in. Our guests comfort is always our #1 priority. I would also like to thank you for your greener ideas and I hope during your stay that I get the opportunity to hear more of your experienced insight for environmentally friendly hotels. We have been in operation less than a year and 2011 will prove much more environmentally friendly not just at our location but for others as well.
I will be sure that all of our staff is aware of your request and you will not have to worry about placing the card on your bed. We also made sure that you have a little recycling bin in your room and a sincerest thank you surprise too. We hope you enjoy and please don’t hesitate to let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you. We thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to any further assistance we can provide for you. Always with pleasure, Susan

Reviewed April 15, 2011

From booking my large group months in advance for the Skate Canada Adult Figure Skating Championships, the staff was extremely helpful and accomodating. We needed 8 rooms for our group with a meeting room in the evening. Upon arrival the staff greeted us with smiles, there were some minor hiccups in the checking in process however it ran smoothly and they made sure that everything was well taking care of. Rooms are on the smaller side, but very nice. The continental breakfast was a hit amongst the team.
I recommend this hotel based on their customer service. Also recieved a very nice follow up letter from the hotel in regards to our stay which I thought was a nice touch.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We had such a fun weekend with our skating groups.
Thank you for sharing your pictures with us and the decorations on your doors that brought so many smiles throughout! We are so very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you found our customer service recommendable. Our reviews mean the world to us and your email brought much happiness to our entire staff. We take much pride in our team and felt quite inspired having the opportunity to meet yours.
Once again, we wish to thank you and your team for choosing us and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Sarnia! Go Happy! Go Hojo!

Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed for a weekend with a teenage girls hockey team and parents. The hotel is recently renovated, with small rooms, but they're very clean and nicely decorated. The continental breakfast was a bonus. Once the restaurant/bar attached is renovated, it will add even more value! The staff were wonderful, and went out of their way all weekend to accomodate us. They couldn't have been nicer, and made our stay most enjoyable!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
HojoSarnia, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Sarnia, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. It really was wonderful to meet you and the rest of your group. We are so very proud of your girls and we were all so happy to hear that they won this year! Way To Go Canadettes!
Please know that we would never feel that we went out of our way while accommodating your group. We are truly privileged to meet such wonderful people and so fortunate that we have the opportunity to make a difference.
We do have an outstanding team here and it is done with much pride and fun ensuring that all of our guests needs are met. It should be this way everywhere, but at least you can always count on Howard Johnson. We hope to have the opportunity to share all of our upcoming property improvements with you in the future. Go Happy! Go Hojo! Thank you kindly, Susan

Reviewed February 15, 2011

We were a group travelling by bus for the Sarnia Silver Stick Womens' hockey tournament. The Howard's Johnson was easily a 5-10 minute drive to all the arenas which meant that we got those extra precious minutes of sleep each morning.
The best part of the stay at this location was the staff. They could not have been more perfect. We were treated as if we were Kings and Queens. If we needed anything, they were there in a flash with the item and a smile on their face.
The continental breakfast was very good and the breakfast room was great as well.
Since our stay with them was so good, the team is positive that it helped to contribute to our team winning the tournament in our division.
I would highly recommend this location for anyone staying in Sarnia!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011

Thank you so much for the absolutely amazing review. Thank you also for giving us the opportunity to be a part of your team's experience while staying in Sarnia. May I say that it truly was an honor to meet your group of mature and focused young ladies. It is without a doubt that they will accomplish all they set out to do in life due to the wonderful and caring role models they have as parents.
From my entire team to yours – it was our absolute pleasure! Thank you! Susan

Reviewed February 11, 2011

Exceeded our expectations went above and beyond to accommodate our staff! Our servicemen stayed for one month! Clean rooms! Food was excellent at restaurant. Laundry facilities! Highly recommended by our staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
HojoSarnia, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Sarnia, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Thank you Jackie for leaving us this fantastic review on tripadvisor.
It truly has been our pleasure to take care of your staff's needs. You have such a wonderful group of servicemen and YOU have always been so delightful to deal with too!
We look forward to any further assistance that we can provide for you. Thank you kindly, Susan

Reviewed December 20, 2010

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at the Howard Johnson In Sarnia on Saturday December 18th 2010.

We were greeted and made welcome by Tracey the moment we walked in the front door (thank you for the warm greeting)

Before long we were joined by a friend who once worked at this hotel way back pre renovation and she was positively astonished at the transformation!! Our room (the jaccuzi suite) was well appointed with new furnishings including a king sized bed with impeccable linens...fruit basket , bar fridge and microwave, hair dryer, LCD TV, and plenty of bath linens as well...conveniently the ground level suites on the back side have an exit to a parking lot allowing us to park outside our room and smoke In our vehicle with little inconvenience

In the morning we found a fabulous morning room / breakfast room where we enjoyed our complimentarly breakfast choices (fresh danish muffins ,bagels,toast,an assortment of fruits,cereals, Waffles / waffle maker, juices , tea and coffee)

I have to say our stay was very enjoyable and as I understand it improvements are constantly being made ...we will most definitely be staying here again as we frequent the city of Sarnia and this is the best value for money....and when we left we popped across the street literaly to grab a timmies before hitting the highway out of town. I recommend suite 101 ...its comfortable and quiet and private...Thank you to all who made our stay so enjoyable

Sincerely
Rhonda Witherow

• Stayed: December 2010
HojoSarnia, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Sarnia, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2010

Thank you Rhonda for choosing the Howard Johnson Inn while visiting Sarnia. We would also like to thank you for sharing your wonderful experience here on trip advisor for others.

We are all so delighted to hear that you and your girlfriend had such a pleasant stay and enjoyed our hotel and services so much. We have such a dedicated and admired Hojo team and Tracey being our newest member has proven a perfect fit.

We look forward to sharing our vision of Happiness and all of the upcoming changes with you each time you are here in Sarnia. Sincerely, Susan

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have my own marketing business and often travel with my colleague's & sometimes with my 2 girls business with pleasure.
Last week after our long sales trip from States, out team of 6 decided to stay in Sarnia. Since it would have been a long day for my girls. We checked out another hotel in the area, but decided to stay with HOJO. It was a very nice HOJO compared to a few I had stayed in the past. The front desk agent was very helpful. Since I am on the road most of the time traveling, I have stayed with different brands. Room was bright & clean. Very comfortable beds. As anyone who knows of Sarnia, will know that it is a sweet little town. It is great to have a hotel like HOJO which serves as a 'home away from Home" We were greeted by a gentleman next morning at breakfast which these days you dont get to see at hotels and motels. I would not hesitate to recommend anyone to this hotel weather they are travelling for business or leisure. We now have a established rate with the Hotel and will defiantly stay here again. Keep up the great work guys.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your enjoyable experience with us. It was so wonderful to meet you and your girls during your stop-over here in our beautiful city. It has been and always will be our absolute pleasure to continue being your home away from home.