“Huge Lilac, very fragrant!”

Centennial Lilac Garden
Ranked #7 of 8 things to do in Queenston
Knoxville, TN
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Huge Lilac, very fragrant!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I visited on our way to a winery tour. Visiting in June, we were not likely to see much, but still wanted to see it. We had read that it was 10 acres of lilacs with a collection of over 1200 plants and 200 different varieties, even not in bloom this would be spectacular to see. When we arrived, the windows were down in the car and we could already smell them before getting out. The smell was amazing. I love lilacs! As we thought, we had missed the blooming season, but we decided to walk around anyway. The bushes were quite large, probably planted in 1967 when the garden was created. We found several bushes with some blooms and enjoyed our own little game of "find the blossoms". Even without it being blooming season, it was a sight to see and smell.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank TNmomKnoxville_TN

Los Angeles, California
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Who knew there were so many different type of lilacs?”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

When I was here the garden was in full bloom and it smelled wonderful. There are also picnic tables in the area. The garden is close to the Floral Clock and nature trail.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Patricia J
Ontario
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Really disappointing!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I love lilacs, so we went here full of anticipation after a wonderful Mother's day lunch .... but the only thing that made me smile was the company that was with me. You would almost think that given the very short blooming season for lilacs that the gardeners for this spot would have made a special effort to prepare it for a flood of expected visitors ahead of time. The 'only' thing done regarding maintenance was grass cutting .... there was an abundance of weeds in pretty much every garden, and new mulch badly needed to be added. We were disappointed that the bushes were nearing the end of their blooming cycle, but blame no one for that. We took maybe 3 pictures total and then left. Very surprised to not see even 1 bench to sit on in the entire area, and nothing in the way of garden adornments. Would not bother going back, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Visited May 2012
Wichita, Kansas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I had never seen so many lilacs in bloom in one place. The scent was amazing and every color displayed. They were so healthy and full of blooms.

Visited May 2012
Delaware
508 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,809 helpful votes
“Beautiful HUGE Lilac Gardens at Niagara Falls”
Reviewed October 9, 2007

If you are planning to visit Niagara Falls, Canada in or around May I suggest you stop by the Centennial Lilac Gardens. They say the lilacs bloom May into June, so this is the best time to view these gardens. They are located right off the Parkway close to the Butterfly Conservatory, Floral Clock , Sir Adam Beck Power Plant and the Lewiston-Queenston International Bridge. There are over 1200 lilac bushes at this garden that was created in 1967. There are supposed to be over 200 varieties within these gardens. They are beautiful--purple, white and pink lilacs!! They are also fragrant. I enjoyed stopping here with my husband. It was nice to walk about the lilac bushes. It was very peaceful here & you get to feel close to nature. It would be nice to take a picnic basket and have lunch in the gardens...perhaps even romantic. It only takes a few minutes to stop an enjoy the beauty of the lilacs and take in their fragrance.

Note: There is no admission fee for this garden. Also, keep in mind bees love lilacs..so if you are afraid of bees or allergic..there is a chance you may see at least a bee or two here.

3 Thank daisyferret1