We stayed several weekdays in the South Landing Inn. The couple has been managing the inn for thirty years though the a new large building was added in 1987. We stayed in the front upstairs balcony room in the new building and when I found out that the building was 25 years old I was very surprised because I thought it was absolutely brand new. The room was really delightful with a queen poster bed. The mattress itself, which is always the most important aspect of a room to me, was very comfortable and I weigh about 245 pounds. I found the room to be a good size with a nice dresser with room enough for our clothes along with a closet for hanging things. The bathroom was clean and had shelves with enough room for our toiletries. Overall I very much liked the decorating, feminine but with masculine aspects in the wood of the poster bed and natural wood ceiling. The room has a gas burning fireplace in the wall but since it was summer we only used the air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan over the canopy bed which was nice for circulating the air especially while sleeping. The balcony has views of the river and seating for four and a coffee table. Honestly I would have really enjoyed spending more time out there but we usually wound up going to dinner late after busy days.
Breakfast is served between 7:30 AM and 11 AM. It is made when you order it and it is not the crumby breakfasts that you get in most motels. It is simple but fresh and tasty. It is home cooking. The breakfast consists of either French toast or scrambled eggs with toast. For $5 you also get juice and coffee. Each table has a tray with the a little pitcher of milk, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and peach and cherry- raspberry jams that are homemade by the owners, Both are absolutely delicious.
I would view our stay as a combination between a bed and breakfast and a motel. The inn keepers are of German descent and probably in their 70's. They were very responsive to our needs. One morning there was a problem with the internet connection and the own had someone there to fix it within a couple of hours. They were also very considerate about our late check out. Overall they are charming, delightful people and I'd enjoy having them as friends though I am 25 years younger.
If you are expecting corporate efficiency, a rule for everything and precise computer driven reservations then this is not the place for you. This is an inn that is what you may have expected 30 or 40 years ago, a true mom and pop operation. But the friendly, open ways of the owners rub off on the guests and we found ourselves talking to the other guests and even the staff, something that would never happen in a typical chain motel.
We also felt that the accommodations were an outstanding value in the area and at the peak of the tourist season and the Shaw Festival. The one negative that has been mentioned in other reviews was a slight mustiness in the room. We left the air running in the room after we first got in and neither my fiance or I was troubled by it and I have a very sensitive nose. The pluses far outweigh this one issue in my opinion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- South Landing Inn, circa 1827, features the quiet, unspoiled charm of a country inn situated in the quaint, historical village of Queenston.Nestled in one of Canada's most popular tourist destinations we are surrounded by history, only minutes from the world renowned Shaw Festival Theatre, fine and casual dining, music, vineyards and wine tours in Niagara-on-the-Lake.Sightseeing and historic sites abound in Queenston and along the Niagara River Parkway.A leisurely drive in the other direction on the Parkway takes you to Niagara Falls and all its breathtaking beauty, excitement and fun activities.If you are interested in more physical activities, you will find fishing, boating, golfing and just steps away, the extensive Niagara Parkway's bicycle / walking / nature trail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your South Landing Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- South Landing Hotel Queenston
- South Landing Inn Queenston, Ontario, Canada