“Disappointed based on other reviews”

St. Veronus Cafe And Tap Room
Ranked #4 of 321 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Buckhorn, Canada
“Disappointed based on other reviews”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I went on the weekend with my mother for a quick lunch. We ordered the frites and fondue. We were sadly disappointed in both. The "frites" were nothing special - run of the mill french fries for $7. Not worth it at all. The fondue was even more disappointing. For $13.50 you get a very small ramekin of cheese sauce. I had anticipated an actual fondue pot, with a flame beneath it and long forks for dipping. Given the restaurant is a bit cold in winter (in an older building), the cheese cools off quickly since there is nothing heating it to keep it warm. It is served with a smile pile of "housemade bread." The bread is cold and dry (and given how little "fondue" you get, there isnt enough sauce to get through the bread). For something made in house I would have expected it to be extra fresh, soft, and warmed. It was possibly the worst bread I've been served in a restaurant. Bread and cheese are my two favourite foods and they are pretty hard to mess up. But this place managed. The mixed pickles were two sort of coleslaws in tiny cups. Nothing special there. For the prices being charged this was overall a massive rip-off. Given the ranking on here, we definitely had high expectations but we won't be returning. Not even worth a second chance! Maybe the main menu items are better but I'm not risking it.
As for the atmosphere - it seems a bit dirty and worn. I love the old buildings in Peterborough, but the floor looked like it hadnt been properly cleaned - ever - especially at the edges and the fabric on the seats looked tired. Washrooms are in the basement - the cold, dark basement. I realize they can't move them upstairs but I hate going into basements to use the washroom. The restaurant in general was also cold. In an older building, I imagine it is difficult to keep it warm but I sat with my parka on during the meal. And this was only November, I imagine it gets worse in January.

1 Thank jvive
RolandHosier, Owner at St. Veronus Cafe And Tap Room, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We will work to correct the problems you highlighted in your review. Please contact me directly via email so I can arrange a full refund for you.

Best Regards,

Roland Hosier
Owner/Operator

roland@stveronus.com

Peterborough, Canada
“Super cozy, great wine, great food!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

One of my favorite places in town. Have never had a bad meal, service is hit and miss and the atmosphere is great. Love the mussels and cheese board.

1 Thank track l
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Best moules et frites in Ontario”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have been at St Veronus many times & always found it a great experience. Friendly service & great food-maybe too much

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Georgina R
Cobourg, Canada
“St. V's is variable; sometimes great, sometimes mediocre. Go for the beer!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

St. Veronus is a regular dinner spot for my wife and I. The food is usually very good. The service is sometimes great, sometimes poor, sometimes something in between. The selection of great beer is fantastic. Some of the better servers really know their beer too, and can offer you some help.

Peterborough, Canada
“A taste explosion”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have visited this restaurant many times and are never disappointed. The food is the tastiest I have ever eaten, not over spiced but just very fresh & very different to what we are used to. If we are going out for a special occasion this is the place we go. A little pricy but lovely. The atmosphere is very laid-back & comfortable.

• Visited July 2013