“Hot and Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hot Belly Mama's

Hot Belly Mama's
Ranked #10 of 317 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Schefferville, Canada
“Hot and Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I had a huge plate of nachos. They were delicious with a wide variety of toppings. My father had the corn chowder, which is quite hot and spicy but also delicious. The food is excellent!

• Finnish first
Peterborough, Canada
“Gone downhill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

This used to be one of my favourite restaurants in Peterborough. Sadly I hadn't gone for a long time due to financial reasons. I gave myself a Christmas treat and had lunch there this week. I ordered the catfish bites as an appetizer. They were pretty good, although so hot on the outside I couldn't eat them with your hands but they were so flaky (a good thing I guess) I couldn't eat them with a fork. I was a bit of a mess by the end, not to mention some of them were verging on cold on the inside. One of my favourite sandwiches used to be the sausage po'boy. Without looking closely I ordered this again with a side of sweet potatoe frites and the house salad. The house salad consisted of three pieces of lettuce, a tablespoon of diced tomato and four litlle shreds of cheese...I think the whole salad equaled a quarter of a cup. The sweet potato frites are still tasty, although they've amped up the spice considerably. And yes it is a cajun restaurant but they never used to be quite so peppery tasting so it kind of took me aback. As for the po'boy....well....as soon as I put this sandwich up to my nose I almost gagged. I'm not sure what type of sausage they are now using in this sandwich but it's also changed. It took a lot of swallowing and nose holding to get this one down. It reminded me of dog food. The only reason I finished this meal and didn't send it back to the kitchen is because my server was so fantastic I felt like I would have embarrased him.

Indeed this restaurant has changed, as has the menu obviously. The atmosphere is great at Hot Belly Mama's...please don't get me wrong. It's a unique establishment with a unique menu. I was just extremely disappointed at the quality of my meal. I can't necessarily give it a poor review because maybe something else from the menu would have been ok.

I wish I could 100% recommend Hot Belly Mama's. If it was 2 years ago I would be able to...now I'd say mehhhh. There are dozens of good restaurants in downtown Peterborough. Hot Belly Mama's is not the first place I'd stop to eat.

• Visited December 2012
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Late dinner and we just ordered multiple appetizers due to late hour. Sweet potatoe fries good, catfish nuggets ok. Bruschetta was a unique cross between bruschetta and cheese bread but good. Nachos had lots of topping but were badly over cooked to dark brown colour. Tried eating the top layer hoping would improve but no better and wasn't worth trying to keep eating them. When waiter finally stopped by to ask how things were we advised nachos were overcooked and his solution was to walk away - really ??? In the end he did take it off the bill when we complained about it again as our plates were being taken away but clearly our business did not matter.
Apart from the nachos the food was ok but not overly special and the service took the edge off dinner to point that instead of staying as planned we paid up and left.
We first met here four years ago so try to go back from time to time. Disappointed enough that not sure we will go again.

• Visited December 2012
Golden, Canada
“It's Hot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

It is in a good location with good food and a decent selection of wine. It's not the greatest atmosphere but still a nice place if you like spicy food.

1 Thank CanadianCycleTravel
Golden, Canada
“Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

The food is good and somewhat unique. I like the atmosphere. The wine selection was limiting, though.

1 Thank CanadianCycleTravel