“Pricy but interesting menu items”

Cora's Breakfast & Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is not your average restaurant. Open for breakfast and lunch only. Lots of fresh fruit with many of the items. Not really the place for anyone on a tight budget but good spot for a special breakfast or lunch outing.

1  Thank OzzyPizza
There are newer reviews for Cora's Breakfast & Lunch

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We enjoyed our first visit to coras -taken aback when real maple syrup was offered as an extra for 50 cents a package - the container of fake maple syrup was free ....

My pulled pork sandwich was tasty and light but the grilled cheese (hardly visible) was lacking.

The service by Sally was friendly, businesslike and very refreshing.
Thank you.

3  Thank Bronson S
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I’ve been to Cora’s in Peterborough once before. That time, I waited 30 minutes for a table. On that occasion, I ordered two eggs with ham and rye toast. The home fries were cold and tasteless. The ham was boring – very thinly sliced (deli ham really) and hardly a grill mark on it. The eggs were overcooked.
For a restaurant with fruit being a main part of their breakfasts, I was expecting at least one piece of fruit with my breakfast….but no such luck!
The rye toast was the best part of the meal.

But… I thought I’d give Cora’s another chance. On the day of my second visit, the restaurant was not busy at all. After being seated by the hostess, she informed us our server would be Lauren. (Name changed, I don’t want to target anyone in particular; I noticed that they are all excessively…almost desperately – friendly.)
In a minute or so, Lauren comes bouncing over to our table, and grinning from ear to ear, she gushes,
“Hello! My name is Lauren! How are you folks today?”
“Fine thanks.”
“Well, that’s wonderful! I’m so glad! And it’s such a lovely day too! Well, it’s a bit grey out there, but hey! It’s not snowing! (giggle giggle)……And what can I get you two to drink?”
“I’ll have a coffee”, says my husband.
“I’ll have tea please”, I say.

Suddenly she affects an English accent.
“But of cawse my de-ah! A coop of tea combing rrright up!” (Scottish too?)

And of course later, she asks me if I’d like “more watah for my cuppa?”
“Yes, thanks so much.”
“Well! You’re welcome so much!”

She lingered at our table at every opportunity, looking for the chance to demonstrate this exceedingly bad English accent.

Really? I’m here for breakfast! I’m not here to chat, I’m not interested in your opinions, your pathetic attempts at an English accent…I would like to order my food from you and carry on the conversation I was having with MY breakfast companion.

Why are servers under the impression that I want to be their friend? I know they’ve got to say, “Hello, I’m Ashley, and I’ll be your server today” (Which to me is silly, I don’t really care what their name is.) But, to hang about, interrupting my meal, when all I’m thinking is, “Could you just GO AWAY? “

OK, rant over…!

On to the food: The entire breakfast was just OK. I ordered two eggs with sausage and rye toast. (I wasn’t taking any chances.) The plate was “decorated” with a small wedge of an orange (oh boy, some fruit!), and a piece of black-edged curly lettuce.
Sausages were burned on one side, not browned at all (undercooked really) – on the other. Wedge home-fried potatoes were tasteless and soft; a touch of seasoning would have made all the difference.
The tea was not very good, they use Mother Parker’s brand; one of the cheapest and least tasty teas around.
The toast (again), was the best part of the meal.

Never again….I recommend that you avoid this restaurant and choose some of the friendlier (but not nauseatingly so!) local restaurants.

4  Thank sunset07
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We visited this restaurant this past Saturday after waiting a few months for the new store to work out any "new store" problems. Here are the good and bad points:
GOOD - bright and colourful decor. Clean. Chairs and tables in addition to banquettes. Fast service (once seated) Food arrived looking pretty close to how it is depicted in the menu. The fruit on each plate was pretty fresh. Our servers were friendly. When it came time for our food to be brought to table, 1 server brought the coffee to replenish our cups and 2 others delivered our plates, all arriving at the same time.

BAD - there was a line up at the door in spite of MANY empty tables and we stood there for 10 minutes with 2 other parties.
Either the servers are terribly new and inefficient or they were short-staffed. My husband ordered the "Construction" and was happy with his meal. I ordered the Eggs Benedict with asparagus and was not happy. I misread the menu and didn't realize there was no ham included and that is my fault. However, the Hollandaise sauce was not tasty. It was not a sauce but more like a soft paste and lacked seasoning. Some of the potatoes were warmish and the rest were cold. The prices are mid to high for the food offered. And last but not least, I wish they would TURN DOWN the radio that was blaring in their open kitchen!!

We will give this restaurant one more try before we write it off completely. I am hoping for faster seating, hotter food and less canned noise from the kitchen!

1  Thank TurtleTaxiDriver
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Staff are friendly and polite. Extended wait to be seated and to have our order taken. Food was not hot when it arrived. Portion size is great and fruit with every meal is really nice, but for the price it should be faster service and hot food

1  Thank mc_eeyore