“Perfection in every way!”

The Magic Rolling Pin
Ranked #18 of 332 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Magic Rolling Pin is set in a beautiful Victorian style home in the downtown Peterborough area. Our intimate rooms are perfect for that special lunch or "just because" tea and dessert. Our warm atmosphere and friendly faces add to the ambiance of the elegant tea room and delicate decor. Our service staff is focused on delivering a memorable experience sure to be talked about afterwards. Please join us! We look forward to having you. Join us for an elegantly served lunch starting at 10:30 am, including finely crafted entrees, seasonal salads, and divine desserts all enjoyed with your favourite loose-leaf tea. We are also known for our traditional afternoon tea service beginning at 2:30 pm. Catering, take-out and private functions are available.
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband had lunch with a colleague last month at the Magic Rolling Pin, and rhapsodized about it so much, I knew I had to see for myself. Today we took his father out for his birthday lunch, and we couldn't have made a better choice! Being the Christmas season, it was very busy, so reservations are recommended. But this had no effect on the quality of the service or the food we experienced. We were ushered into a lovely private room for the four of us, and the service throughout our meal was top-notch and not in the least rushed. Meals here are entirely home-made and out-of-this-world. My hot apple cider, with orange slice, cinnamon stick and accompanyimg ginger cookie, was delicious. Then I thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas crepe special, with turkey, caramelized onions, cranberries and even stuffing! For dessert - their particular forte - I had maple-oatmeal-coconut pie, which just melts in the mouth! Everyone else at the table was also full of compliments about their choices. If you have occasion to visit Peterborough - or like us, make a special trip there just for lunch - you can't do better than the Magic Rolling Pin!

1  Thank luvs2nap

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My family and I come here for a special treat; the pies, cakes, and scones are my kids' favourites. However, you do have to come earlier in the day, as a lot of desserts are devoured by 1:30, understandably so. Our servers are always sincerely friendly and helpful, very nice people to chat with, who obviously enjoy their job. The high quality desserts are made fresh by the owner, her berry/chocolate scones are ONE of my son's favourites. The chocolate cake is obviously another fav, too--but the selection varies everytime we go, and depending on time of year, time of day etc.

Their menu items are always very good, good portions, and very attractive presentation on attractive dinnerware. My only suggestion for improvement would be to have some dairy/gluten free options on the menu, for those with dietary limitations.

We also enjoy the good selection of all sorts of loose teas--herbal, black, green, kids teas.

Their ambience is somewhat formal/casual, with nice leather chairs, tablecloths, modern with vintage touches, tea cups, 3 seating rooms that are decorated very tastefully.

3  Thank Ahmelia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I never miss the opportunity to visit this restaurant when I am in Peterborough. It is a step back in time, when life was simple and service was something to be proud of and food was meant to be enjoyed. A friendly knowledgable staff will greet and serve you. The amazing specials are something you don't want to miss--a sure reason to make a reservation so you don't miss out on the chance to experience this Peterborough gem. Dessert is something to celebrate and make room for here because all are made fresh daily. Homemade is always best! Another great lunch!

2  Thank Alice5432
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I visit Peterborough a couple times a year to visit family and we usually go out for a bite to eat while I'm in town. This was our first time to The Magic Rolling Pin, and it will not be my last! We had the most delicious lunch, with even more delicious home-baked desserts. Seriously, the baking is a must-have! It's all baked in house with REAL, fresh ingredients. We sampled a few pies and cakes and they were all to die for. We met the owner, who was so lovely. She's done a beautiful job with the unique spaces/rooms that comprise the restaurant. Our server was fabulous as well, very attentive and sweet.

It was such a treat! Two thumbs up for sure.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

For a small birthday celebration we went at 3 pm.....they close at 4.30. I called ahead to find out if this would be ok and was assured the full menu would be available. It was empty when we arrived, obviously their rush was over, and they made no attempt to please us at all. Only three desserts were offered. They were nothing special, no milk or sugar, had to ask for everything. And had to go looking for service. The placemats had been removed, and it was very, very quiet. The handyman was chaining down the chairs on the patio, and obviously ready to close. A beautiful place, but we won't go back.

4  Thank Mrs R