“A wonderful rock carving site.”

Petroglyphs Provincial Park
More attraction details
Owner description: This park is home to nearly 1000 rock carvings that scientists estimate were drawn between 500 and 1000 years ago.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Like: rock carving site, first experience to see this kind of exhibition
There was nothing negative about the experience. It was less than what we expect. It's not so engaging especially if you go with young children (6 and under). But for adult or young adult, it's really neat to see this kind of hundreds of year message from the past.

4  Thank Mrslam

Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is very interesting historic site to see the carving on the rock. My visit to the actual site is about 10-15 mins around a piece of of big rock. I was expecting more carvings in many rocks. The visit was brief but the visitor centre is interesting. There is also a short hike from parking to the entrance (~10 mins). Worth seeing but don't expect a lot

3  Thank Simon A
Reviewed September 4, 2012

It is a nice and great scenery hiking trail. The hiking trail is long because the shortest one is 5km. So, be prepare. It is not too hard but only one thing is for educational wise, I find it not enough for me. Maybe I don't have enough time to visit. But next time when I bring my kids, I will do some homework and visit the stone carvings session again.

1  Thank siulunglee
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I saw this in an Ontario Parks brochure shortly before we left Algonquin Park, and thought it might be interesting to see on our way back to the States. I agree with other comments here by other visitors - make sure you get some information before and after you see the stone carvings. This is an awesome experience, and the background will add to your appreciation.

My husband seemed more impressed with McGinnis Lake. It's an amazing color in August. Lots of picnic tables there, on cliffs above the lake. Wish we knew that, going out.

Be aware that there are only limited snacks and drinks for sale at this park - no meals are available. If we had known that , we would have eaten lunch outside of the park first.

5  Thank mimsydee
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Petroglyphs PP has the most concentration of aboriginal rock carvings anywhere in Canada - so we visited yesterday. The 600+ year old carvings are distinct, but have seen some erosion since they are on soft rock so they are now protected from the elements by a large glass building. It is disappointing that you can't take photos of the glyphs. I'd suggest going to the Learning Place (visitor centre) first to walk though the exhibit and watch the 20 minute movie. This will give you some understanding and context of the site, the history, and the meaning it still holds to the Curve Lake Nation who graciously allow us to visit their sacred ground. The interpretive display was both meaningful and moving. Totally worth the park's $14 day pass (per vehicle). Petroglyphs is not too far from Peterborough and is open only in season from 10am-5pm, so plan accordingly.

We hiked the Nanabush 5.5km 'moderate level' trail and enjoyed it - it was well maintained and had some beautiful vistas, rocky outcrops, ferny forests. Lake McGuinnis is gorgeous jade colour, glacially formed, and ecologically unique. Next time I come, I will bring a picnic, do one trail in the morning, visit the Learning Place and glyphs, and then do a second trail in the afternoon.

TIP: This is a small park, and there is no camping. However there are a couple of provincial parks near-by (Silent Lake & St Peter) where you can camp, and your camping pass will get you into Petroglyphs for free.

2  Thank 2-4-T