“Warning; may charge you more than reservation rate”

Holiday Inn Peterborough
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel charged me more than the reservation rate. I made a
reservation weeks ago and then tried to change it about a week ago. At
that time I noticed that the rate had lowered. I assumed this was a
change to our group rate. I logged in to the reservation web site and
the rate was $59 for each night. I called reservations around May 28 and spoke
with Margaret and she said it was a group rate of $59 per night. I asked her
to send me an email confirmation and it was $59 per night. When I
checked in they said it was higher than that. I indicated otherwise and
they said OK and I initialed the check-in form beside $59 per night. I
was later informed during my stay that they changed their mind and it
is higher. The management at the hotel refuses to charge the
triply-confirmed quoted and reserved rate but instead charge more. They keep
telling me something about a special group rate - but I never entered into any
contract with some group on some rate. I understand $59 per night is an especially
good rate but that is not the point. I expect Holiday Inn to stand by their quoted, reserved, confirmed verbally and written rate, as per our mutual contract.

Other than, the hotel is just OK... Wifi from room 309 is horrible.

Room Tip: Street side is noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PAStimeCanada
Tracie O, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

I am truly sorry that you feel that we charged you more then was agreed to. The path your reservation took was as follows, your soccer team negotiated a rate for it members at a rate of $118 on the Friday night and $128 on the Saturday night. Then you called in and spoke to our in house reservations department and booked a room out of that block at that promised rate. When you arrived at the hotel that is the rate that you were given and charged for your room for the weekend. I realize that you had a letter stating that the first night was at $118 and the Saturday night was $0.01 but at no time in the history of you reservation in our system was your rate ever placed at that a $0.01 rate for the second night nor would it seem to make sense that one of you nights would be basically free. As you were charged the rate that you were promised at time of booking we think that a fair rate was charged to you for the weekend. We hope that you enjoyed your stay while you were with us and we look forward to hosting your team again in the future

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Peterborough

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here one night and will not go back. There are other hotels in Peterborough with better locations that I will try. The hotel room is dated, the locks on the patio doors don't inspire much confidence and there is a lot of noise from the street. If you do stay here, get a room at the back on the river, apparently they are larger, nicer and quieter.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracie O, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I am sorry that you experienced a less than pleasant stay with us. We will be undergoing a property improvement plan in 2015 which will include renovation to the hotel to bring a less dated feel.

We do thank you for your comments and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

While arriving could not expect that a standard Holliday Inn may offer such a decent and very appreciable food service. For a sunday luch, a rather limited menu but every thing is prepared with profesionalism, good taste and style. Good onion soup, very tasty gourmet hamburger, attended by a very competent and well behaved Kathryn and entertained by the drop-in of the so sympathetic Chef Ryan. We had a very joyfull Sunday lunch time, bravo to all team including the good guitarist for soft and also style entertaining.

Room Tip: We were there only for lunch
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Tracie O, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel!

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed a lovely lunch in our restaurant and were able to experience the exceptional service our staff provides.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Good location, walking distance to great restaurants and bars. Rooms are clean and spacious. We had a great view of the river. Sun was shining so we sat out on the tiny balcony and drank some wine watching all the activities out on the water. Breakfast was a treat. Best part of the hotel is the friendly, helpful staff.

Stayed: May 2013
Tracie O, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thanks so much for taking a moment to write a review of our hotel!

Our staff pride themselves on the level of service they provide and I am so glad you experienced this during your stay with us.

Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was in Peterborough for two days on business.
The hotel is very easy to find and is located next to the river.
Check in was easy and the staff were friendly, polite and very helpful. This was true of all of the staff at this hotel.
The view from the restaurant is of the river which makes for a pleasant venue. I only ate there on one night and while the starter was poor, the main course and dessert were excellent.
The room was clean but rather dated. Surprisingly, there was no desk, just a small, round dining table with chairs. Wifi access from the room was terrible; it would regularly drop out and was slow. This was also the case in the public areas. I know this a small thing, but when travelling solo on business reliable wifi is important to me - it dropped out whilst writing this review.
My room was on the city/street side of the hotel. As I was travelling on business I felt that the river side rooms were overpriced. The city/street side rooms are quite noisy and this might be a problem if you are a light sleeper.
The hotel gym was equipped with six or seven cardio machines, including a rowing machine. The equipment I used (cross trainer) was in good working order.
There is plenty of parking but it is open to the street.

Room Tip: City/street side rooms are noisy - avoid if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Tracie O, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel!

We sincerely appreciate all the feedback provided. Our staff pride themselves on the level of service they deliver and we are so glad you found them to be friendly and professional!

I will follow up with our Maintenance Manager to find out why the wifi wasn't holding. We can understand how this would pose a bit of an issue when it's being depended on.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back another time!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My volleyball team stayed at this hotel for the weekend of our OCAA tournament. I was very impressed with the hotel in general, however, many things stick out in my mind:
- we were right downtown, close to restaurants, shopping, the beautiful river (I could walk out there from my room), and a Tim Horton's directly across the street! I took a nice walk down the main street (George St.) to explore the shops and was pleasantly surprised by an antique shop, a few clothes shops, and home decor shops.
- the hotel staff were wonderful. They were so polite and friendly for our entire stay. Not one time did I pass ANY hotel staff that did not say hello to me!
- there was a hand-written welcome card on the dresser the day we arrived! This really stood out to me because the art of letter-writing has diminished, and I thought it was really thoughtful to leave a note!
- the hotel is updated and CLEAN! The bathrooms were spotless, there were no ugly douvets on the beds (that you know never get washed!), and the room was very well put together!
- the beds were very comfortable, as were the pillows (your choice of firm or soft)
Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here and will recommend this hotel to any friends/family staying in Peterborough.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the river side, even if you're staying in the winter. It is beautifu...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alex W
Tracie O, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Peterborough Waterfront. We appreciate it very much!

Our staff go above and beyond to ensure that each of our guests have a memorable experience and we're thrilled we were able to make you stay so enjoyable.

Hopefully your stay was capped off with a winning volleybally team!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying here last night and we had a phenomenal experience.

The staff were polite, attentive and treated us like we were their main priority. The room as well as the hotel and property were clean and well maintained. The room we stayed in had a gorgeous bathroom with a large 2 person jacuzzi as well as a large shower which we took full advantage of. Both the restaurant patio and the balcony offered a scenic view of the river.

We enjoyed two meals during our stay and both our dinner and breakfast in the restaurant were delicious and cooked to perfection. Try the Baked Brie appetizer if you get the chance!

We would definitely stay here again and suggest it to anyone looking for a hotel in the Peterborough area.

• Stayed: February 2013
Tracie O, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank for for taking the time to write a great review of our hotel!

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom and our Riverside Grill restaurant while you stayed with us. The Baked Brie alone is definitely worth returning for!

We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peterborough
Best Western Plus Otonabee Inn
#4 of 12 in Peterborough
Village Inn of Lakefield
Village Inn of Lakefield
#1 of 2 in Lakefield

Been to Holiday Inn Peterborough? Share your experiences!