“Servers Could Use Training In Customer Service”
Review of Rare

Rare
Reserve with OpenTable
Rare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 318 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Peterborough, Canada
“Servers Could Use Training In Customer Service”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My family and I have been going to Rare since it opened, for various special occasion and "just because" dinners. The last few times we've gone to Rare, the service has been less than adequate.
The server we had the last few times has been quite 'snobby', and our requests seemed very inconvenient. My father is lactose-intolerant, and thus, we needed to ensure his food wouldn't have dairy in it. I can't express how inferior the server made my family feel when my father asked for a dish that was guarenteed to have no dairy. I think we even saw an eye-roll.
Not only do these people work in the service industry, they work in a restaurant environment; I highly doubt we have been the only table that had a serious allergy needed to be accomodated for.
Though the food has always been superb, we haven't been able to get over this experience; unfortunately, we haven't been back.

• Visited September 2013
11 Thank Paige H

Owen Sound, Canada
“Valentine Wedding Dinner - Wonderful”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My daughter's wedding dinner was held here on Valentines day this year. They had wanted a intimate, quiet wedding and chose Rare to host the dinner. The food was outstanding and the service superb.The owner/chef and his staff were so accommodating. I will be back to this establishment and will highly recommend to all.

Visited February 2014
“Consistency”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

While we only manage a trip here about every six months the meals are always excellently prepared, presented and served. The ingredients are also local when available. An easy New Years resolution for 2014, more frequent visits.

Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Really Great Food But Very Noisy Room”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Went to Rare with wife and friends. The restaurant was really quite full with people. Due to the acoustics of the room and the number of people filling it, I found it quite hard to hear the people I was talking to at my own table. This is my only criticism of the restaurant. The owners should think about adding some acoustical treatments on the ceiling and the walls to absorb some of the ambient sound in the room because with 20-25 people in that room it gets quite hard to have a conversation at normal levels of speaking. Steak was really good and properly cooked, wine list is excellent. I would have give this restaurant five stars if not for the issues with ambient noise level.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank PaulDT2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went to Rare with my husband and we absolutely loved it. Everything about our experience was excellent. The food was delicious and the service was great. We have been to many restaurants in the area and Rare is by far the best. We can't wait to go back!

• Visited January 2014