“Surprisingly modern for a two star hotel”

Super 8 Peterborough
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I was travelling to Peterborough for business, and there aren't very many options for luxury accommodations in Peterborough! At first I dismissed this hotel, thinking the "Super 8" was similar to Motel 6, etc. After reading reviews of the hotel, and seeing some photos, it looked comparable to the 3 and 4 star hotels I usually stay at. It was clean and comfortable and I'd stay there again next time I travel to Peterborough. They offer a free cold breakfast in the morning, but my colleague and I preferred a hot breakfast so we drove to the restaurants nearby. The hotel is in a good, central location close to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank double_entendre
LifesGR8atSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2011

I am always very impressed when a business traveler such as you takes a moment out of their full schedule to share an experience to the benefit of their fellow travelers.

I must admit that your initial notion of what you could expect from a limited-service property such as ours is not all that uncommon. How nice that, through your experience at Super 8 Peterborough, we were able to help you redefine in your mind what an affordable hotel can be. Our challenge, our mission is to demonstrate to you and all of our guests that – true value means that you can save without settling for less!

I look forward to welcoming you back that next time your travels bring you to our area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)

Reviewed December 22, 2010

I stayed one night during a snowstorm and was wowed by the service provided right from the reservation agent and continuing through until checkout. When I arrived at the hotel, the Manager on Duty was actually clearing the driveway himself with what was later described to me, as a new toy for the hotel. The check in clerk was so personable and her sense of urgency was natural. My room was clean and the bed was comfortable. In the morning while enjoying my breakfast which was included in the price of the room, the gentleman who was taking care of the breakfast room and the front of the hotel, offered to go outside in the icy cold weather, to start up my car! Fantastic service and I would not hesitate to stay again and to recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank morningdew
LifesGR8atSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2010

Many thanks for taking a moment to share your experience at our hotel with your fellow travelers. Not a day goes by that I am not justifiably proud of the team of hospitality professionals that make up the staff at Super 8 Peterborough – thank you for so clearly stating how our goal of ‘service excellence’ has influenced you personally.

Contemporary business wisdom holds that – “People react to the way they are treated and act (and choose hotels) accordingly”. Your action in sharing your experience speaks volumes. I promise that you and your fellow travelers will always be welcomed warmly and with gratitude that you have made Super 8 your hotel of choice when visiting Peterborough, Ontario.”

Reviewed November 12, 2010

Stayed here on advise of Tripadvisor.ca. Friendly staff, lovely rooms, very clean and reasonably priced. I arrived at 11:00 pm and left at 6:30 am. but had enough time to enjoy the good complementary breakfast. I would highly recommend this to other business women travelling solo.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank QuilterLady
LifesGR8atSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

Thank you accepting the advice of your fellow Tripadvisor users and booking with us. I am very pleased that you found that our service, quality and value met all of your needs as a business woman.

In an era of unhelpful service, cost cutting, added fees, long waits and delays, our promise is to provide business travelers (and all of our guests) with something unexpected – a hassle free place to call ‘home’ and a warm, friendly welcome.

The next time your work leads you to a hotel in Peterborough, Ontario, I hope that you’ll choose Super 8.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

Our "default" hotel chain (Hilton family) had no facility in Peterborough, so we "settled for" what I thought would be a Motel 6 type of experience. What a delightful surprise -- it wasn't that way at all! Clean, quiet, the friendliest staff in the world, plenty of amenities, free mini-breakfast, mini-fridge and microwave in the room, and well-priced. Other TripAdvisor reviews painted a good picture of this place, and I see why. Don't bother doing any place else in Peterborough.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
LifesGR8atSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2010

We are pleased to have earned your business and your loyalty.

Whether traveling for pleasure or business, I promise you that my team and I will work hard to live up to our pledge that – at Super 8 Peterborough, great values means you can save without settling for less. We believe that, as a valued guest, you deserve a clean room, truly welcoming staff, comfortable design, and a choice of amenities that satisfies the way you travel.

Thank you for your comments on your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you require a hotel in Peterborough, Ontario.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days. We have 2 teenagers, and I was thrilled to get a family room with bunk beds..this meant that including the double bed for myself and my husband, we each had our own bed.
We were allowed to check in 2 hours early, which was a blessing to 5 travel-worn people. We found the elevator to be extremely slow, and most times we took the stairs. The hall carpets are in need of a good cleaning, but the room itself was nice and clean. Our family room itself wasn't huge, but we all had enough room to move about. The room that the kids stayed in was separated from our sleeping section by a curtain. The bunk bed room was small, but it did contain a tv and a video system. There weren't any controllers for the game system..I assume you had to ask the front desk for them..we never did. The only issue we had with this room was, if the tv was on in the adult section, and the tv was also on in the bunk bed section...you could hear both..the curtain did nothing to contain any noise coming from this little room.
The pool area was wonderful and clean. This pool was so warm (the warmest I've found so far), it was like walking into a bathtub. The hot tub was lovely too!! Poolside was very clean, and there was always a good supply of fresh, clean towels available.
The workout room was pretty basic, a treadmill, a recumbant bike and an elliptical machine. All in all, I was glad to have that available to me as the weather wasn't the best, and didn't support a walk outside without coming back soaked to the skin.
The guest laundry was very clean and well kept...I believe I paid $1.25 for one wash and $1.25 for one dry.
Continental breakfast was really nice, second in quality to the Holiday Inn Express. Each morning we were offered toast, bagels and different spreads, boiled eggs, pastries, 6 dry cereals, 2 hot cereals, bananas and oranges (the oranges weren't ever in the best shape) 3 juices, many teas (WARNING TO TEA LOVERS: the water is hot, not boiling, so getting a great cup of tea is difficult), hot chocolate and 2 coffees. One morning they had little cheese packets too. We took full advantage of this opportunity to eat every morning.
I had booked online, so check-in and check-out was a breeze. The staff was very pleasant, and always eager to assist. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
LifesGR8atSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

One of the great privileges of working in the hospitality business is the opportunity to receive honest and thoughtful feedback from our valued guests. Thank you for your review. I am certain that it has provided Tripadvisor viewers with a rich description of what travelers what might experience at our hotel.

My team and I are very pleased that you enjoyed so many of the amenities and services that distinguish Super 8 Peterborough from other accommodation choices in our area.

Our goal is to offer the freshest and cleanest facility and I want to assure you that we are addressing your comments about the hallway carpet by means of a professional cleaning this coming week.

As you pointed out, our family rooms offer unique accommodations to our guests traveling with children. On the occasion of your next visit, please feel free to request wireless game controllers and head phones for the kids’ space which are available at no cost at the reception desk.

I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Peterborough, Ontario

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Nice, clean, faily new hotel. Went awat for a night with my husband. Rooms are very clean. Very comfortable, couldnt ask for anything better.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
LifesGR8atSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2010

Thank you for taking a moment to share you experience at Super 8 Peterborough. As Peterborough’s newest hotel we take pride in being able to offer our guests the very freshest accommodations at a great value. Thank you too for letting us know that we satisfied all of you needs when travelling to Peterborough for your recent getaway. As our guest you deserve our very best. My team and I are happy to be of service to you when your travels take you to our area.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

We decided we needed a change of scene and just started to drive.

It was a hot day and once we escaped the city we somehow ended up in Peterborough.

As we were driving down Landsdowne?, we suddenly thought we should pull over and check in somewhere....we didn't care where.

"There's a Super 8, I said" and we both started laughing. WRONG! We pulled in, checked in, changed into our bathing suits and jumped in! The staff were top notch, the beds were firm, the room was spotless, and the continental breakfast the next day had a heck of a lot more choice than I expected.

The room rate was just over $100.00 and worth every penny. And to boot, they gave us a $20.00 voucher towards our next stay....room rate.

I am not sure we will be in that area any time soon but if so......SUPER 8 it is!

Signed......a regular Four Seasons guest!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 6,834,196
LifesGR8atSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2010

Thank you pulling in at the end of your escape from the city and for discovering just what make Super 8 Hotel unique in Peterborough, Ontario.

Whether it’s pursuing the thrill of the open road, travelling to get down to business, or simply some summer fun with the family – we appreciate just how important a friendly welcome, super clean rooms, and plenty of free ‘extras’ are to your happiness with your stay. It’s fun-loving people such as you that make providing hospitality – our pleasure!

To fulfill our promise that “great value means you can save without settling for less”, you can use your $20 voucher at Super 8 Peterborough or any of our 50 other managed hotels across Canada all summer long.

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peterborough
Comfort Inn & Suites
#5 of 12 in Peterborough
Comfort Inn Port Hope
Comfort Inn Port Hope
#2 of 2 in Port Hope

Been to Super 8 Peterborough? Share your experiences!