“Disappointing”

The Anchor and Wheel Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pelee Island
The Anchor and Wheel Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Pelee Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We got back from Pelee Island a few weeks ago;it turned out to be the most disappointing trip of my life. The only good things about that island are the Bakery (very nice couple) and the Pelee Winery. Other than that, the island offers nothing We stayed at the Anchor Inn, in a room with peeling wallpaper, stained carpets, hanging curtain rods, and a "continental breakfast" that left a lot to be desired. For breakfast, I sat at the same table that I had dinner at the previous evening, and I could still see the bits of perch left overnight that hadn't been cleaned up. That whole place needs a good cleaning and updating; as for sitting outside, there was nothing to entice us to sit out there - the outside chairs were covered with bird poop. Lesson learned? Websites can be deceiving. As for the island, it is not inviting when you get off the ferry - overgrown foliage, handmade signs on pieces of cardboard, etc. I cannot even think of a place on the island where you can buy a bottle of water - the grocery store looked abandoned but I can't say for sure. We walked for quite a long time before we could even find a rocky beach. If you do not bicycle, you're screwed! The only taxi service on the island charges a $10.00 minimum, or $4.00 per person minimum. They say it is wonderful for bicyclers, but they don't really cater to them, i.e. no portable johns, no drinking fountains along the main roads, etc. Only two restaurants - the Anchor Inn -even though I didn't care for the lodging, the food was good, and the waitresses were friendly but I was suspicious about the cleanliness, I only ate highly fried foods to make sure - I would stay away from the salads! The other restaurant was at the Westwood or Westview Hotel (can't remember the name), but that was it. They desperately need a better quality restaurant there! We decided to leave a day early on the late ferry, but when we saw the smaller ferry pull up, we decided to leave even earlier - there was absolutely nothing on that island that inspired us to stay. I was so glad to get back to the mainland. Very disappointing. I have heard nice things about some of the bed and breakfasts there, but I personally would never go back - there is nothing to do or see that island. What you see on the ferry when you arrive is it (except for the Winery). For the money spent, I could have gone to Las Vegas for three days.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tatianab

Reviewed January 15, 2006

For our 1st wedding anniversary my husband promised to fly me to an island (I thought we would return to Jamaica) but he literally flew me to Pelee Island for the week-end! It was awesome! We checked into the Anchor and Wheel Inn in October 2005, and truly had a memorable time! Mark, the owner was so accommodating that he just handed us the keys to the van so we could tour the island,since the bike rental shop was closed for the season. We drove down to the Scudders Marina and took in all the sights, and continued on to view the whole island. Relaxing & beautiful!
It just so happened that we checked in the week-end of their annual clam bake, and the Wheel and Anchor put on a scrumptious dinner. We stayed in the separate building on the second floor and were satisfied with our accommodations. There were three beds in our room, which we obviously didn’t use but the room was clean. I turned off my city standards and appreciated the beauty and simplification of the Island. The people were oh so friendly, the food was great and the experience was one that I will make a yearly one! I didn’t even think to pull out my high heel shoes....Now that's a vacation!
The Anchor and Wheel was a great time!

25  Thank sammy99

Been to The Anchor and Wheel Inn? Share your experiences!