“first weekend in may 2012”

The Anchor and Wheel Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pelee Island
The Anchor and Wheel Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Pelee Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Not to deny past travellers' experiences, but I can only report as I found.
Well documented that the accomodations are no frills clean and comfortable.
The environment is wonderfully relaxing, whether you are a serious nature scientist or just want a walk along a leafy road, or some time in an historic cemetery followed by time to listen to the waves crashing on the ancient stone or sandy shores accompanied by birdsong.
The hotel food was filling and varied at lunch with perch as my main choice. Supper was the best beef I have ever tasted with chicken, vegetable lasagne and black beans and rice on the buffet
The wine list is limited, but features local as well as imported.
The staff work very hard to make this venture a success and are worthy of your custom.

Room Tip: PHONE AHEAD IN GOOD TIME to get the best selection and ask for the most appropriate location.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Philaeisle

Reviewed October 26, 2011

A total of $80 for 2, for one of the worst meals we've ever had. The buffet was food obviously reheated from frozen, and nothing was seasoned. The $10 margarita that was made from a mix and overblended was the cherry on top. Lake Erie is known for Pickerel and Perch, and Anchor and Wheel advertises it. The fish was not fresh, and overcooked. I'd think it would probably be cheaper for them to buy fresh over frozen since the supply is so close at hand. Awful dinner.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Kipping3
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed Sept 16 and 17 2011.We arrived Sept 16 at 1230 and asked if we could check in no problem.
The rooms are basic and the inn it self is a little retro but the rooms are clean as are sheets and towels. The restaurant has a nice natical flavor to it and the meals are pricey.Friday night is Fish FRY night and they have all you can eat perch and walleye which is worth the price and should not be missed if your on the Island.We biked the whole Island in two days and there is much to see.As a lot of the island has gravel roads it would be easier on Mountain Bikes.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bluejforest
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Paying before we saw the room should have been a warning. The room was dirty and smelly, we feared all sorts of bugs etc. After a power outage we had no way of flushing the toilet, or using the shower and wash hand basin. Difficult outside stairs up to the room, wet. and dirty, dangerous with a suitcase to carry. We looked out over a camp site and a rundown set of cabins behind the shack.

Room Tip: Next-door room was even smellier than ours.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I had never been to Pelee Island before, and I was really looking forward to this trip. We got to the B & B, the bed hadn't been changed yet, so we had to wait and the room key was missing. Finally they changed the bed, and my husband and I went for a bike ride and swim. When we arrived back at the Inn, the room key was in the door, later on that evening we decided to go for a walk, so I locked the room. When we got back I couldn't unlock the door, I told the owner, and he didn't seem to care, emphasizing that the girls take care of that. That struck me as rather odd, since he is the owner, you would think , that the emphasis would be on good customer relations, not this guy. One of the girls got the master key but it didn't work, the owner slammed the door with his shoulder and broke part of the door latch. Finally they found the right key, but for the rest of the night I didn't lock the door, in case I locked myself out, when I had to go to the bathroom. The room was dirty and the continental breakfast was a joke and room no. six had the door hanging of f its frame. The owner had to use a crowbar to get that one open earlier on, something wrong there, two doors in two days. If someone asked me to recommend this place, I would say run as fast and as far as you can, don't go there. Dirty, lousy service and too many bugs.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank harrypotter04
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Follow your way around the island and enjoy the beauty it has to offer, the people are great and lots of fun.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank keysbeachbum
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Over the past 8 yrs we have visited Pelee Island and enjoy the peace, tranquility and nature. We have also stayed at the Anchor and Wheel B& B numerous times. I realize it is no frills and the prices are reasonable....however, the place is just run down and nothing ever gets done to upgrade it. This past experience was the worst.....the room had no mirror even in it, pieces of the blind were missing so we had to hang a towel over the window, the smoke alarm was laying on the bed no battery (same in the room beside us), no towels ever for the shared bathroom (shower door has been broken for years now) and everyone was complaining about the towels. The hospitality of the owner Mark....is pathetic....he has seen us over the years, but doesn't even acknowledge who we are. No hot breakfast...just serve yourself cereal, toast, fruit. He spent all that money adding on a deck...and yet there are no chairs anywhere else on the property to sit and relax (two guys got into a fight on the deck over chairs by the units even)...no garbage bins anywhere. The first night we were freezing when we went to bed...but woke up like we were in a sauna.....as someone had turned off the air conditioning! His main concern is running the restaurant so he should just consider giving up the accomodations side of it......or at least get some more help and spend some money to improve the conditions. If we ever do go back...we will be staying at The Wandering Pheasant.......which we did do in August, and it is wonderful, but alot more expensive. This used to be the Tin Goose Inn and we used to stay there as well, but when it was closed down......our option became the Anchor and Wheel Inn.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sueC92

Been to The Anchor and Wheel Inn? Share your experiences!