“Anchor & Wheel Inn - Great food, fine accomodations & friendly service”

The Anchor and Wheel Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pelee Island
The Anchor and Wheel Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Pelee Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 16, 2007

With a Tiki Bar on the deck, and Island music playing and Island decor in the dining room you will definitely feel you have escaped the mainland to an Island in the tropics.

The Anchor & Wheel offers an outstanding variety of seafood including, local Walleye, lightly pan fried Yellow Perch, Shrimp Scampi, and my favorite...a tasty Seafood Linguine with shrimp, mussels, and scallops sauteed in a rich tomato marinara sauced, over a generous portion of linguine. If you like Prime Rib, you've come to the right place for mouth watering rib.

On Saturday night, the Anchor serves a Prime Rib buffet, with baked Walleye, pan fried Yellow Perch, Pasta and Ribs. This dinner rivals anything found on the mainland. The only thing better than the food is the excellent service. Ask for Shawnda or Debbi and you will experience friendly service, that is second to none!

I highly recommend the Anchor & Wheel Inn and take my customers there for the ambience, great food, and fine overnight accomodations.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Mavrick72

Reviewed August 15, 2007

Anchor & Wheel was a great place for us to stay--nothing fancy, (but relaxed, hospitable and clean!) Food was "primo!" and the staff extremely friendly and welcoming. Unique decor,
and a "Carribean Island feel" in Ontario. WHOA!!!!
I LOVED Pelee Is.!!!! Either you understand the "island feel" with the laid back attitude, warm friendly people, and good fresh market (Sat. only) food, --or you don't. Lots for us to do on our stay (if you enjoy nature, sunsets, birds and the beaches)!!!
Loved the small "stuff"stores, and artisian flare of unique gift buying.
Get here!!--and book your ferry early,,,the only draw back we came across, was that bringing a car, the ferry is often at capacity. (I'm not much of one to cycle around to destinations)

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We just returned from a two-day vacation on Pelee Island. We stayed at the Anchor and Wheel Inn last night in a Bed and Breakfast room over the restaurant. It was fine, if you're not wanting luxurious accomodations. Good value for the money we spent, but not a 4 star resort.
The room was spotlessly clean and recently painted. The carpets were fresh and clean. The shared bathroom was spotless--done up in a rustic pine panelling with a very new shower with decent water pressure. Nice clean fluffy white bath towels and no shortage of basic ammenities like little hotel soaps and toilet paper.
But it's not the Hilton. The sheets were clean and crisp but mismatched. The beds were comfortable, though the floor was on a bit of a slant.. The floors creak when people walk on them.
It's an old building with lots of "character".
The buffet dinner in the restaurant was delicious--recommend their lightly battered perch that melts in your mouth. Best home-made chocolate cake I've had in eons. And the wait staff was friendly and attentive. The self-serve continental breakfast was OK--good fresh coffee, home-made muffins and an assortment of breads, fruits and cereals. On par with the likes of Days Inn, but none of the vintage coffee cups match.
The decor is a tribute to kitsch. The Tiki Bar would make Jimmy Buffet blush. Tacky, but fun. All-in-all good value for the money.
As for the island itself, I have to agree with the last review. Apart from the winery and the breath-taking views It's a sleepy remote island with friendly people and not much else going on. Interestingly it does have an LCBO. But bring your own groceries and don't count on being able to purchase much there. And if you're looking for luxury and excitement, I suggest somewhere like Mackinac Island, Michigan.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank HelenToronto_Ontario
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We got back from Pelee Island a few weeks ago;it turned out to be the most disappointing trip of my life. The only good things about that island are the Bakery (very nice couple) and the Pelee Winery. Other than that, the island offers nothing We stayed at the Anchor Inn, in a room with peeling wallpaper, stained carpets, hanging curtain rods, and a "continental breakfast" that left a lot to be desired. For breakfast, I sat at the same table that I had dinner at the previous evening, and I could still see the bits of perch left overnight that hadn't been cleaned up. That whole place needs a good cleaning and updating; as for sitting outside, there was nothing to entice us to sit out there - the outside chairs were covered with bird poop. Lesson learned? Websites can be deceiving. As for the island, it is not inviting when you get off the ferry - overgrown foliage, handmade signs on pieces of cardboard, etc. I cannot even think of a place on the island where you can buy a bottle of water - the grocery store looked abandoned but I can't say for sure. We walked for quite a long time before we could even find a rocky beach. If you do not bicycle, you're screwed! The only taxi service on the island charges a $10.00 minimum, or $4.00 per person minimum. They say it is wonderful for bicyclers, but they don't really cater to them, i.e. no portable johns, no drinking fountains along the main roads, etc. Only two restaurants - the Anchor Inn -even though I didn't care for the lodging, the food was good, and the waitresses were friendly but I was suspicious about the cleanliness, I only ate highly fried foods to make sure - I would stay away from the salads! The other restaurant was at the Westwood or Westview Hotel (can't remember the name), but that was it. They desperately need a better quality restaurant there! We decided to leave a day early on the late ferry, but when we saw the smaller ferry pull up, we decided to leave even earlier - there was absolutely nothing on that island that inspired us to stay. I was so glad to get back to the mainland. Very disappointing. I have heard nice things about some of the bed and breakfasts there, but I personally would never go back - there is nothing to do or see that island. What you see on the ferry when you arrive is it (except for the Winery). For the money spent, I could have gone to Las Vegas for three days.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank tatianab
Reviewed January 15, 2006

For our 1st wedding anniversary my husband promised to fly me to an island (I thought we would return to Jamaica) but he literally flew me to Pelee Island for the week-end! It was awesome! We checked into the Anchor and Wheel Inn in October 2005, and truly had a memorable time! Mark, the owner was so accommodating that he just handed us the keys to the van so we could tour the island,since the bike rental shop was closed for the season. We drove down to the Scudders Marina and took in all the sights, and continued on to view the whole island. Relaxing & beautiful!
It just so happened that we checked in the week-end of their annual clam bake, and the Wheel and Anchor put on a scrumptious dinner. We stayed in the separate building on the second floor and were satisfied with our accommodations. There were three beds in our room, which we obviously didn’t use but the room was clean. I turned off my city standards and appreciated the beauty and simplification of the Island. The people were oh so friendly, the food was great and the experience was one that I will make a yearly one! I didn’t even think to pull out my high heel shoes....Now that's a vacation!
The Anchor and Wheel was a great time!

25  Thank sammy99
#2 of 8 in Leamington
Commodore Resort
Commodore Resort
#5 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to The Anchor and Wheel Inn? Share your experiences!