“Shocked!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pelee Island
The Wandering Pheasant Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Pelee Island B&B and Inns
Guelph
“Shocked!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

So, we went to their website, sent an email to book an accommodation; after no response within 2 days, called and made a phone reservation with a young woman. She was very friendly, provided us with information about the inn and about the island, and informed us that reservation confirmation was going to be sent via email. It sounded like we had put all the pieces together for a wonderful weekend on Pelee Island. It wasn't meant to be. After two weeks, we never received the emailed confirmation; we called the Inn to confirm given our trip was coming up. In speaking with Sandra, we were confirming details, and I asked that she send us an email confirmation so the information may be forwarded to our American friends who were meeting up with us on this trip. Sandra asked that I send her an email to remind her to send me an email with the confirmation. I told her that I initially sent an email to book a reservation but never received a response back, and she said that the internet on the island is not as reliable as it is on the mainland. She remained adamant that I send her an email to remind her to send me the reservation confirmation. At this point, I suggested to Sandra that it would be easiest and simpler for her to send me an emailed confirmation, as most hotels do. She was not impressed by my suggestion and told me she was going to cancel our reservation.

We wish we can provide a review on the inn, but given the circumstances, we never got the chance. What we can say is that customer service goes a long way, and in this case, there was no customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Carrie442
dolce67, Owner at The Wandering Pheasant Inn, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
While on the island, my server does not allow me to send out an email to email addresses that are keyed in; I can only respond to email address. For this reason, I ask all my guests wanting a email confirmation to please send me an email requesting such. I do not have control over my internet service. All I can do is apologize as it is a mystery that can not be explained .....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
southern ontario
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My friend and I had the pleasure of visiting Pelee Island and staying one night at the Wandering Pheasant Bed & Breakfast.
We took the ferry with a car and it was $63 round trip for 2 adults and a small vehicle. (On this note, call the ferry people and reserve a spot for your vehicle prior to booking accomodation - times and #'s of vehicles are limited.)
We got to the B & B easily - maybe 10mins from the dock - and were greeted by a large, older home with a parking lot, a meshed-in gazebo with outdoor furniture, a hot tub within another gazebo, a couple of Muskoka chairs and a BBQ for guest use.
The property is spacious and well-kept. There is the main house and another row of larger rooms -suites - for a bit more money.
The rooms come to about $140 and the suites are $175 plus tax. The suites have a large room, private bathroom, sitting area and individual screened-in porches with a hammock and chairs.
The rooms each have their own theme, are upstairs, and there are two, 3-piece bathrooms for guests to share. Each room has a double or queen sized bed (not sure if they're all the same sized beds.)
The common areas are a living room and wrap-around, screened in porch - that is where you have breakfast. Breakfast was continental with coffee, tea, fresh fruit bowl, and homemade muffins and slices of loaves (ie banana bread), as well as a nice variety of homemade jams.
There is a common fridge for guests and games/books to borrow. They also provide info about what's around the island and menus with prices for the local restaurants - there are about 5.
The staff and owner of the Wandering Pheasant couldn't have been more pleasant and it's a laid back atmosphere. You are greeted and shown around, things explained and then the feeling is make yourself at home.
The room was clean, quiet and the bed was comfortable. They provide soap, shampoo and bath towels. Bring your own beach towel if you want to use the hot tub or go to a beach.
There isn't much to do on Pelee Island - you can drive the whole thing in about 20-30mins.
There are some historical sights, a few hikes.trails, lots of beach (was windy and choppy for us, so swimming was debatable.) There is one expensive restaurant (ave. meal $25), a couple of roadhouse/bar places - casual - about $10 an entree, a deli/bakery where you can eat outside and a little store with limited items. There's also a little LCBO. There is a small craft store where various local people show their creations and sell them.
We went to the Pelee Island Winery which was a lovely spot to see. A tour or wine-tasting is only $5.
All in all, a relaxing little jaunt, friendly place and lots of nature to enjoy.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Wandering Pheasant as a home base for your visit.

Room Tip: We had room # 8 - it was a little bigger, with 2 windows
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Midland, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our first visit to Pelee Island and we loved the experience. We stayed in the main house and were nicely accommodated by the proprietor who was friendly and welcoming. The guest rooms in the main house are smallish however there is easy access to the rest of house and property - there is a large screened in porch and an outdoor one as well. There are large sitting rooms for chatting and making new friends in a laid back atmosphere.We checked in early and had the day to explore the island, have lunch and visit the winery. A step back in time with no schedule! Breakfast was home baked banana and fruit loaf to go so we could make the 8am ferry. It is worth it to stay at the Wandering Pheasant if you are looking for a friendly and relaxed stay on the island where you are close to nature, the beach and want to have a fun time with friends.

Room Tip: When you book be sure to explore the options so you can choose what works for you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Gail H
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The rooms at the back are very nice, large with a private screened in veranda with fridge and hammock. We enjoyed the hot tub as well. The only downfall we found was that the breakfast only consisted of muffins and fruit salad. This is not what we expected considering there are not a lot of options on the island for food and if you are planning on biking, hiking or swimming it would be nice to start the day with a hearty breakfast. As for value, it is a little pricey for the private rooms in the back but looks like it is one of the best places to stay on the island.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rudy325
guelph
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have been on Pelee Island many times, and comfort and good food were not part of my memories of those times, but rural and interesting would describe those visits. In 2013, we attended a meeting at the Wandering Pheasant and I was a little unsure of what to expect. The reviews were largely favourable, but some guests were less than pleased. Reading closely the negative reviews seemed to be from people expecting a 5-star hotel on their rural adventure, but the positive reviews were so exultant that I was still dubious based on my past experiences. However, I can report now that the exulters were right. This Inn is a gem set in the woods, near the sandy shore of lovely Lake Erie. Well, it looks lovely here anyway. As our meeting was for biologists, we were swept away by the marvelous diversity of birds and for the first time in years I heard a real 4-5 am dawn chorus. Orioles fed on the porch, barn swallows battled over and under the eaves, with the territorial male claiming the Canadian flagpole outside the window. Down at the beach I even saw an endangered lake erie watersnake emerge with a nasty invasive round goby (a fish) clenched in its jaws. Exciting stuff. Our room was roomy, nestled under the trees, with a screened porch, and a hammock on the porch. The entire setting was superb. The surrounding milieu provided a trip back into a quieter time. It was early June and one could drive or stroll for 20 minutes and not see another car. All the famous Pelee landmarks were there, Fish Point, Lighthouse Point, Lake Henry, the Pelee Winery. It was great fun. And the winery was even more fun; take a designated driver. The WP Inn's hostess was as friendly as could be, cheery, helpful, especially kind to me. She has done a commendable job setting up this hideaway. Pelee Island has changed to embrace tourism, and it makes a stay there far more enjoyable than in the past, and it is still generally "unspoiled". The food at Wandering Pheasant was catered by chef Matthew, a burly cheery man . It was large portions, well prepared and tasty.The soups were paralyzingly scrumptious. Matthew was endlessly accommodating. The rooms each featured a unique decor. Ours had ladies' hats as a theme, another room was African, another grandma's room, and one guy had a little girl's decor. These variations led to amusing discussions. Our bed was comfortable. My only negative is that the attractive hostess insisted we not use the Inn's towels in the hot tub or at the beach. We were supposed to bring our own. This seemed odd to me, and in fact none of us used the tub or went swimming. But if you go in warm weather or want to pile in the hot tub, bring your own towels. Prices are a bit steep for my budget, but well worth it especially if compared to what one might get for the same costs on the mainland. All in all a restful, yet stimulating experience and I am quite ready to go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the separate section are great, but more expensive. I did not see rooms in the main buildin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ronbo_12
Fonthill, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We (a group of 14 friends) began our annual cycling adventure here on May 26th, 2013. We stayed two nights at the Wandering Pheasant Inn taking all the suites in the back area (huge comfortable basic clean rooms decorated in varying themes), and three rooms in the main house. Sandra, our host, was very accommodating, helping organize a caterer for our dinners (Chris Watson did our meals and we highly recommend considering this option if organizing a group). She gave us great suggestions for touring the island, and even washed and dried our clothes upon returning from a rather wet day. We appreciated the hot tub after long days of cycling and hiking. Her two summer students are wonderful and always helpful. Breakfast was a little disappointing (no eggs) but in no way deters our plans to return again someday! The inn and island are a relaxing oasis in this chaotic world.

Room Tip: for privacy the suites at the back are a lovely option, each having a screened in porch with small f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Markham, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The room was spacious, comfortable and modern yet the main house and the grounds were charmingly rustic; a wonderful combination. The covered porch was a terrific place to enjoy the sounds and smells of the country without being plagued by bugs. The hammock was a favourite of the BF.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 9 in Leamington
Seacliffe Inn
Seacliffe Inn
#2 of 8 in Leamington

Been to The Wandering Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!