“Island in the Sun - Girls' Weekend”
Review of Pelee Places

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pelee Island
Pelee Places
Ranked #4 of 13 Pelee Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A getaway to Pelee Island, is the perfect way to soak up the summer sun. Pelee Places is without a doubt where you want to stay! Bev is a wonderful B&B hostess who has several beautiful vacation properties on the island. My girlfriend and I stayed at the historic stone house, which was wonderfully decorated and very well kept! We had a fantastic stay, complete with short bike rides to Pelee Winery, lots of time sun tanning on the deck overlooking the lake, delicious and perfectly timed breakfasts courtesy of Bev and exploratory walks and hikes on the island. I loved spending time on Pelee, and Bev's hospitality made our vacation there truly memorable. I can hardly wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tony R
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am happy that you enjoyed Pelee Island so much, but I am not surprised that you enjoyed the Stone House. You ladies were so much fun and really embraced all the wonderful sights. I did invite you for breakfast at the b&b and you made me laugh so much, I did it again, even though breakfast is not usually included with cottage rentals. You are welcome to visit anytime, even if you choose to stay at one of the many other lovely b&bs or cottages on the island! Thanks for being so nice.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Pelee Places B and B to celebrate our 10th year wedding anniversary. It was everything I had hoped for: quiet, nature and good wine! The B and B was nicely decorated and very comfortable to stay in. We had the room with a king size bed, jacuzzi and private en-suite and it had plenty of space. We borrowed the bikes and rode the Island which was a lot of fun and relaxing. We also used the complimentary passes to visit the winery and enjoyed that too. Bev was a great hostess and her breakfasts were amazing! I loved her homemade pumpkin waffles and coffee was plentiful! Very filling breakfasts and delicious! The view on the property is also great! I would not hesitate to recommend this place.

Room Tip: Go for the bigger room with the private washroom. If you are looking for total privacy consider rent...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vicarella
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Wait until you try my blueberry pumpkin muffins with bacon fried bacon and asparagus cheese frittata!
Smooches,

Reviewed July 3, 2013

June 15 & 16 2013, we stayed at Bev's Pelee Place on the lake ... yummy breakfasts, full menu, amazing to watch our hostess dance through meal prep, fresh muffins, travel directions, history, and stories of other guest adventures! The facility was immaculate with the assistance of Paul. Fresh strawberries, and great visit to the winery. The museum is a must! Eva & Don Marsh

Room Tip: Talk to Bev about what you want, she'll find something to suit. Our room was perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eva M

Who would believe you guys had been married for ten years? Looked to me like you were still on your honeymoon! I am so glad we were able to make your anniversary memorable.
Cheers,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Pelee Places B&B during the May long weekend. It was our first time visiting the island. Just before arriving, Bev provided very useful directions and was always available to answer questions. On arriving at the B&B we were courteously greeted by Paul who was helping out at the property. The B&B is beautifully located in a corner of the island, with minimal traffic even during busy tourist season. Our friendly and informative hostess Bev prepared fresh and wonderful breakfasts with flexibility to any dietary restriction. She even baked us muffins and cookies for our day trips! Thank you. You must see the view from the B&B -- a dining area with a panoramic window oversees the sunrise at Lake Erie. On the opposite side is Lake Henry across the road with just as spectacular a sunset, and marsh birds to spare. A cozy and scenic accommodation, great service, and interesting island experience completed a memorable vacation. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The master suite is worth the extra cost.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Raymond L

Thank you for your kind words, especially regarding my son, about what was otherwise a pretty unpleasant weekend for me. Your omnipresent smiles, interesting conversation and contagious happiness and curiosity saved me! Hard to compare your experience with others who stayed that same weekend, but I am so glad that you enjoyed yourselves. Please come back soon!
Cheers

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was our second time back to pelee places and we had a great time once again! Bev was amazing as always. She makes the best breakfasts. Homemade muffins and omletts one day and French toast the next. Location is perfect. Very tranquil and close to the lighthouse point. Beautiful sunsets as well. We'll definitely be making this a yearly trip. Thanks Bev!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank bestguest101
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your recent stay. I enjoy it when guests return again and again. I know that we are a renovated cottage with some quirks, but people like you who come to enjoy the magnificent main room for birdwatching, cooking, eating and laughing whilst overlooking the Pelee Passage and Point Pelee, or sitting at the end of my driveway watching a magnificent sunset over lake Henry make me pleased to offer what we can to our guests. I know that you travelled a great distance to be here and I appreciate your effort. Please come back soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Stone House early May 2013, and it was an absolutely wonderful experience. We had a very relaxing time, and enjoyed every moment of our stay (except the leaving part). Bev was awesome, made a wonderful breakfast for us, and was very informative about what to expect and what to do on the island. Her son was also great in this regard. Everyone is laid back, interesting, and couldn't have made our stay better. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The Stone House was awesome, but the other places looked pretty good too from what I saw! You could...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard V
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely appreciation of the Stone House. We are constantly trying to improve the appearance and amenities of such a landmark property in such a gorgeous setting. I am so glad you were able to accept our invitation to breakfast at the b&b, as I can only offer this when we are not busy! It did give me a chance to meet you better and I can't wait for you to return.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The setting for the B&B is nice, on a dirt road right on the water. The "master bedroom" with it's own bathroom would be nice. The other two rooms through the laundry room are small, one is VERY small. The beds are very soft and appear to be very old, springy and noisy. Walls are thin and the doors don't lock. The hostess was pleasant although intoxicated all weekend so food ranged from good to burned (set out for the birds) to uncooked (forgot to turn on the stove). We came back the second day to the music on maximum volume and Bev, dancing in the kitchen in winter boots with a drink in hand while doing dishes. No attempt was made to turn down the music. She followed us into our bedroom to bad mouth the previous guests who moved to a better B&B after one night here. Her (late 20's?) son tended to stand outside the bathroom and bedroom windows.
At $150. plus tax although we enjoyed the island this B&B isn't worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank JLEMECAKL
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

I am so sorry that you did not feel that you received value for your money, but I pretty much expected that as you tried to get me to reduce the price before you booked . You obviously couldn't find a better deal, or perhaps anyone else who was willing to take a two night reservation on a long weekend, or accommodate your large labradoodle, because several days after we talked, you sent me an email to book the room. Why would you send your credit card number and expiry date to an unsecured email account??!!
Yes, it was a terrible weekend for me, as I had the rudest guests ever arrive in the dark, complaining before they even entered the house. They complained because they did not get the master bedroom, booked months before by a lovely couple who loved the house and my breakfasts. They complained because they got lost, even though there is a map on my website. They complained that they had to access their room by passing through my laundry/guest fridge area. They complained that they had to share a bathroom with you. They complained that your lovely dog barked (once, as you pointed out), they complained that their room with a brand new queen bed replacing the double was too small. They complained that they could hear your t.v., insisting that you turn it off, even though their door had not even been closed. I tried to get them to leave with a full refund, but they insisted on staying.
Breakfast the next day was even worse, with the perfect muffins I made to accommodate the female guest's food allergy flatly refused by her. The other 2 guests told me they were 'wonderful'. Instead she insisted on coming into my kitchen while I was working, arriving 10 minutes after everyone else was seated, checking out the labels on my bread and continuing with her rude attitude, ordering me around like i was a short order cook.It was very disconcerting to me and to my manager Rose, who told me that she was ready to 'clock her' if another disparaging comment was made.
They were able to find alternative accommodation and left later that afternoon, thank goodness, as I was prepared to pay them to leave, rather than have unhappy guests spoil the experience for everyone. I was also pleased to have several visitors drop in, including return guests who so love Pelee Island that they have rented a cottage for the whole summer. Yes, I did consume some lovely Pelee Island wine with them. Yes, I was dancing to my Adele cd when you came in. Yes, I assumed you would be as relieved as I was that my nastiest guest ever had checked out. No, my posturepedic mattress, which gets used about one third of the year, between our short season and occupancy rate, is not old. I replace my pillows, linens, towels and mattresses regularly. I do not consider a 12x12' bedroom 'small', but you are right that there are no locks on the bedroom doors, but I don't know of any b&bs on the island that have them either. Most guests seem to be content to lock their valuables in the car or keep them with them.
Most creepy to me about your review was the insinuation that my son, who is enrolled in professional school, was hanging around your windows for any other purpose than to spread a load of topsoil which had been delivered that week. 'Why would I want to look at old people?' was his perplexed response when I discussed this with him. If this was an issue, as with any of your complaints, don't you think it would have been better to address this while you were here, instead of making unfounded allegations on trip advisor?
I did not burn your food. I did throw out muffins to the birds because they did not rise satisfactorily and I will not serve food to my guests that does not meet my standards.
Friends and former guests have contacted me about the first nasty review I have received in years, laughing about the caricature you portray in your review. My competitors are also gloating and laughing about me dancing in my winter boots, apparently.
Although I never thought that I would have to defend my fashion choices on trip advisor, for your information, my winter boots are in fact Ugg slippers, the quintessential Australian footwear that is popular throughout the world and known for its comfort and durability (although sometimes criticized for a lack of arch support). At least I can proudly say that I do not wear I'll-advised bicycle shorts.
A guest, now friend, who recently stayed with me, Eva West, author of the inspirational book, 'Dancing with MS' has taught me to dance whenever I can, and never to apologize for doing so. So while I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations, I cannot say that I am sorry you caught me dancing while performing some of the drudgery associated with running a b&b.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelee Island
#1 of 7 in Put in Bay
Days Inn Leamington
Days Inn Leamington
#2 of 9 in Leamington

Been to Pelee Places? Share your experiences!