“Delicious Caribbean Food”
Review of Nu Caribbean

Nu Caribbean
Order Online
Ranked #1,009 of 3,256 Restaurants in Ottawa
Description: Locally found in Glen Cairin, KANATA, is a small Caribbean Restaurant that is owned and operated by a husband and wife team Teeny & Sean Solomon. Teeny is the front end and business liaison, while Sean is the Chef of all the fantastic foods that is served in this little establishment. Together, they offer a Caribbean Dining experience that locals have welcomed them with open arms, and their customer base are coming from all parts of Ottawa - including Orleans. Chef Sean is a native of Trinidad & Tobago, and has a deep passion for cooking. Together, both Sean and Teeny ensures that their food and service sre as authentic as they are.... oh yes... NU Caribbean Caters Too !
Reviewed August 5, 2018

Ordered some delivery from here over SkipTheDishes. I had both fried chicken and chicken wings and they were both good. Also tried their rices and peas, which were quite good. Didn't care too much for the plantains though, but I'm not a big banana person. The prices were pretty reasonable and my order arrived pretty quickly, all in all not bad.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

While visiting Ottawa, I was asked to find a decent roti shop for a friend. I was warned that there weren’t any good ones out that side (I live in Toronto where there are many great options). So while at Petrie Island for the Carivibe celebrations, I decided to buy a chicken roti from the Nu Caribbean tent. Sad to say I was very disappointed. When I ordered the food I asked for it not to be wrapped up and just put in the container (I like to see what’s in my food when I’m ordering from places i don’t know). They warned me that it will be messy and that they not a restaurant to be catering to such requests, but complied. On one end of my container they put one large pot spoon of mushy curry channa and aloo (like mashed potatoes with channa and curry powder added to it) and in the other end they put a very small serving of curry chicken that was cut up very fine (no bigger than finger nail size) and then the dhalpuri on top. This set up was fine, I’m a Trini, I can eat roti and curry with my hands. The food had some flavour, but, I’ve never had a roti where the potato and the chicken were cooked separately muchless have channa in it. The roti was very dry and brittle and the channa inside the dhalpuri was compressed into a sheet where you can break it up and use it almost like a roti too. It wasn’t the crumbly yellow mess that comes with eating a proper dhalpuri. Needless to say that it was very disappointing and I didn’t finish all of it. My friend had a glass of their sorrel and said that it was ok.

Date of visit: June 2018
NU C, Owner at Nu Caribbean, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2018

Very sorry to hear this. As you are from Toronto... there is little to no comparison simy through the number of Caribbean people and the availability of our cuisine. Secondly you gave only samples a small taste of our food which had to scaled back slightly and of course the tremendous high volume of traffic to our booth. The next time you are in town please goto our actual storefront and it will likely give you a different perspective. TEENY Proud Owner

Reviewed February 9, 2018

We live about 12 minutes from this restaurant. Technically, "hole in the wall" would be a better description. Remember, kids; the best things in life are always a surprise!
I've eaten "Jamaican/Caribbean" all over the world, but sadly never in Jamaica nor the Caribbean. I've had good, bad and ugly, but never been let down, nor blown away. Until we hit this little gem in Kanata. My partner (GF/Celiac) and I went there for a date night several months ago (i double checked which items had no gluten - via phone; I could hear them verifying what they were not sure of, and was informed of several options, which made me smile). I'm a great fan of different foods, while my partner is more of a "meat and spuds gal". Or she used to be, before we met. She ate simply, to avoid gluten. I had to re-learn how to cook, so she experienced great food. I've never attempted Jamaican before, and most likely never will. I don't have to! Nu Caribbean takes care of that for me! We had a date night, sitting at the stools by the window. I had jerk goat and oxtail with rice and peas, while my partner had curried goat with rice and peas and salad. Brilliant!!! I had a patty as well, but to be honest, it tasted like a no-name patty. Everything else was wicked....just like the jug of sauce I saw. I asked, "what is that you are making". I received a mischievous smile in return. "homemade hot sauce. Want some"? "yes ma'am". Whoa!!! Wicked all around. We brought leftovers home for lunch the next day. Great portions. Feel the need for another date night!!!

Date of visit: September 2017
NU C, Owner at Nu Caribbean, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2018

Thank you for your detailed HONEST review. We are glad that you and your girlfriend enjoyed our food. Guess... in today's world we have to try to address all special dietary needs by providing vegetaria/vegan options... Including guten-free options. We look forward to your next date night

Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

My 'Jamaican' ;) wife and I have ordered food from here a handful of times and it's just too inconsistent. We've had good experiences, but lately more bad. We keep craving some curry goat or fried plantains and its been very disappointing lately. We won't be ordering from here again. Sorry!

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed April 14, 2017 via mobile

We visited this Caribbean eatery for the first time and decided to give the food a try.

We weren't disappointed at all and my favourite selection was the Fried Chicken and Pork ribs with beans and rice.

I'd highly recommend that you give them a visit if you're looking for some spice in your life.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank EarnestVinson
NU C, Owner at Nu Caribbean, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2017

Thank you so much, Earnest for your HONEST review.

We try our hardest to ensure that when anybody walks through our doors, is greeted with that welcoming Island warmth. It is just as important to have excellent customer services to complement our authentic food. We look forward in seeing you many more times.