“New chef?”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
“New chef?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband (Italian) and I used to go for pastries, coffee, take-out and the occasional lunch but it had been a while. Our recent visit was very disappointing: my tuna salad was some bagged greens that were no longer fresh and some leaves tasted of rot, the tomato was hard and totally flavorless, the tuna just out of the can. My husband's chicken parmigiana was soggy and bland. The desserts were terrible: the lemon meringue pie's meringue was a mouthful of sugar crystals that made it inedible and the ice cream, supposedly home-made, was flavorless and too sweet, having most likely been made from a mix. We used to enjoy this place for its delicious products but we will never go back.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Arona99

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Italian Pastries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Delicious Italian pastries, convenient lunch menu and lovely atmosphere in this Italian Cafe and Pastry Shop in the heart of Little Italy.

• Visited June 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Coffee and Pastries”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I like to come here and enjoy very good espresso and pastries, sadly the service varies depending on whom serves you and ranges from superb to snooty.

The lunch specials are very nice and a good value, but the main attraction are the pastries (and Gelato ofcourse). Some of the nicest biscotti in Ottawa and the espresso is consistently superb.

I love the rum balls and the almond croissants but to be fair i cant think of any desert that was bad, i am not super keen on their shortbread style cookies to be honest but with so many choices I have no reason to order them.

• Visited May 2013
Nassau, New Providence Island
“Cafeteria Style, Bistro Priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We went for a holiday Sunday brunch. Desserts and pastries look fabulous. We ordered the hot pasta for the main meal. Let me say that the food is great. The pasta is homemade. They use fine ingredients. However the sauce on my chicken pasta had cooled and congealed into an oatmeal like consistency. My partner had a wonderful pasta in a cream sauce, and again it had cooled. The flavors however are great.

We went back for dessert. I had a brûlée lemon tarte. I was expecting same crisp topping as Crème brûlée. It was mushy. However, it tasted great. My partner was satisfied with her dessert. The coffees are acceptably fine.

We did find the price rather high. The two pasta dishes were $25 and the desserts and coffees (an espresso each) came to another $15.

Would we go back again? Probably. I have to admire a place that uses good ingredients. The chefs have won international awards. The taste is great. The after-care of the food (letting it cool) needs improvement, and the price is a little high. However, it could be forgiven for the flavourful taste and the fresh ingredients.

• Visited March 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Dessert heaven!! Cappuccino to die for!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

An ideal place to drop in for coffee and a cake, not a cheap venue, but well worth the journey and the extra few dollars on your bill. The choice of desserts is phenomenal and all are baked fresh. There's also a choice of mains and sandwiches of which we've tried a few and they were great. Our advice: If you want a cake .... Share a sandwich to make sure you have room. Our favourite is the rhumbaba's.