“Food mediocre; prices high; service OK”
Review of Da Sergio

Da Sergio
Ranked #1,401 of 2,840 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A group of us went to Da Sergio a week ago, early in the evening. None of us had been to the restaurant before, but decided to give it a try despite the mixed reviews that we had read.

The menu was standard for Ottawa Little Italy, with some interesting options in the daily specials, especially the lamb shank. But we continued to be hopeful about the quality of the food; unfortunately, we were disappointed.

There was nothing vaguely special or memorable about the food served to us. My mushroom risotto didn't have the richness or creaminess that I would expect from a good version of this dish, and there was little in the way of mushroom flavour. The smelts were not bad, but nothing special, and my wife's veal scallopini was, at best, OK. The lamb shank was one of the better dishes at our table, but again, nothing really special.

Overall, it was average to mediocre food, but at fairly high prices; for what we paid, we could have had a much better meal elsewhere. None of us will be trying Da Sergio's again.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I wanted to make a change and visit a different restaurant on Corso Italia in Ottawa. Something simple. Our standard has been la Trattoria Italia, a few doors north of this one. So I compared the food fare, presentation, service, ambiance and..price. Da Sergio is located below street level but, for warmer days, has a sidewalk café style outside. It is a few years old and therefore is not as upgraded as my Trattoria benchmark. Also, I should add that few if nobody can match Trattoria's wine cellar. However, my priority for the moment was "a good meal", at a reasonable price. And that, I got. It was fresh,tasty and easy to digest. As we headed back home, we shared on the presentation, freshness and "italianness" of the recipes. And our comments were wholly positive. Pricewise, it is not out of range but tends to be 15% over priced regarding the more expensive bottles, while wine by the carafe is perfectly well priced. This is a "café" and not a full dress table, and so, the price range tends to be slightly higher than should be, but the food was so good that I plan to return. Oh, and service? you couldn't get more attention, even when delivering a baby:-) In short, go there for an informal chat with a friend, over a litre of open wine and simple true traditional italian food.

1  Thank zeniatrips
Reviewed November 13, 2012

5 friends (late 30, 50s and 60s) professionals eat out often.... Celebrated a birthday... Most have been there many times before... Relatively quiet given sunday evening... Ordered various appetizers --calamari and smelts delicious... Well prepared fish dishes, a good indicator of a good italian restaurant. The anti pasto was good but over priced for the dish. The fish of the day was very good and the stuffed veal was delicious as well as the veal of the day. Most opted for penne rather than vegetables... Pasta cooked al dente, sauce delicious but everyone pasta was cold! Not sure how that happened, given restaurant was not busy.... Waitress was very efficient.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were a group of 18 persons who reserved ahead of time, we had calamari that was the best I have ever tasted, light and airy, anitpasto plates that were very well served with a great variety, salad was very fresh, pasta dish was more than we could ask for, and the main course of veal was delicate and full of flavour. I wish I also had the recipe to the pasta sauce.. The service was great, very accommodating and friendly. Will certainly go again and bring friends and family.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were checking out the menus down Preston on our first visit to Ottawa and decided to go to Da Sergio only because the other restaurant we had in mind had a line up. Big mistake. We were rushed in, seated and were not even offered water or...A MENU!!! One of us has to get up after nearly 10 minutes to GET menus. The "manager" (or whatever his role is) then came over and said "you're gonna have to wait for your food. It's busy, tonight". He came back a few minutes later, took our wine order and then came back with these ridiculously huge wine glasses filled almost to the rim with lousy Sangiovese. A few minutes later, he came back with a note pad and a pencil, stood by the table and loudly said "YES?". We ordered the caprese salad and the ravioli of the day (chicken in a rosé sauce). The food was excellent, the caprese was the best I have ever had in a restaurant and the pasta was obviously home-made, but we will, however, NEVER, EVER, EVER go back there again. The attitude of the waiter or manager, an older guy with a three-piece suit (ridiculously overdressed for a basement restaurant with an incredibly tacky 70's decor), his rude manner, were enough to make us never want to go back again. Too bad, because the food was actually decent. By the end of the meal, we were fuming. They have GOT to do something about that guy. There are bad reviews all over the Net because of him.