“Successful Birthday Dinner!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Shallows Grill
Ranked #760 of 2,710 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ottawa, Canada
“Successful Birthday Dinner!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I planned a Birthday dinner for my Aunt that included 15 people. Shallows reserved an entire corner of the restaurant and allowed us in early to set up a few decorations. We were in need of a gluton free cake and Branko the manager found the best gluton free cake we had ever tasted. My compliments to all the staff and the chef for a great experience. Food and service were both superb. I would recommend Shalllows to anyone planning an event. A great gem in the south end.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Silver Spring, MD
“A good place for a late dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

While I can't say the menu is the greatest, I can't complain. I had the cioppino which was very good. The service was good as well, though the prices were surprisingly high for what was on offer. However, if you are headed home from the airport at a late hour you will find the dining room open and willing to serve the hungry traveler.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Branko M, Manager at Shallows Grill, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad that you liked the cioppino, one of the favorite dishes with our guests. We are currently (fall season) featuring 3 course dinner table d'hote at $28 as a follow up that should make it more affordable to our hotel guests and our neighbours. Hope to have the pleasure of seeing you agan.
With many thanks,

Branko
Ottawa, Canada
“brunch is a fiasco, please do not go there !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

This place was almost empty on a Sunday at 1pm, so we decided to give it a try b/c wanted to eat in quiet.First red flag I noticed:they use several menus and the one posted out side was not the one we got. Also,later I saw another menu located in the hallway between the eatery(the lounge,as they call it)and the hotel lobby.Hungry as we were,could not eat their food after a few initial bites.Food quality,presentation and taste below any reasonable expectation.Asked for an americano, got a long single shot long inferior espresso at 4$.Drink menu was not given to us along food menu "b/c you did not ask'as the server put it later.Server is very depressed,she was just referring our questions and comments to the manager.I can only eat their potatoes, toast and PJ bagel (i.e.I garnished the bagel and the toasted bread which they provided with Jif peanut butter and jelly). It is a typical"fool me once,shame on you,fool me twice,shame on you"scam.Do yourself a favor-avoid them!

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank est98
Branko M, Manager at Shallows Grill, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
First of all thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am sorry that you did not voice your disapproval of the quality of the food at the time of service. The issue as reported by the server seemed to have been the Americano coffee. We served the usual Espresso and added hot (boiling) water to that.
The menus that you saw outside the restaurant were indeed different. They were: breakfast menu, lunch menu, dinner menu. In another area of the hotel you probably saw our advertisement for the Prime Rib special on weekends at $30 for the dinner period. You were here during the brunch period and as such received the brunch menu.
I hope you agree to revisit as I would be happy to expand further on issues you allude to.
I can be reached at branko@southway.com
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Going downhill and totally over-priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

The many empty tables and chairs upon our 11 am arrival should have been our biggest clue that this place had gone downhill. This was at least our 5th time visiting this restaurant for a special occasion. This most recent Mother's Day (2013) brunch was a bust. Yes, they have an omelette station where you can order what you want, and the requisite roast beef au jus, but it all lacked flavour, including the waffles (tough), pancake (just one available!), salads, etc. Even the smoked salmon was tasteless. Thankfully, the shrimp sauce had a nice bite to it but the shrimp were small, rubbery and evidently pre-frozen. The Mother's Day brunch used to be $29.99 just a couple of years ago and people lined up to get in. Now $45, you expect something extra special. Unfortunately, the service and food quality have gone way down. For example, the waiter had to be asked several time to refill glasses and would leave after filling just one person's glass. A server from a nearby section had to keep coming to our rescue. People often waste food at an all-you-can-eat brunch. Diners this year were just fed up.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ken A
Branko M, Manager at Shallows Grill, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for being one of the many who joined us for the Mother`s day brunch. We had a record record turnout for this event, our most successful brunch to date! We are always striving to improve the guest experience and comments by our patrons are unquestionably the most direct path to that end. I would like to discuss this further with you, please contact me at your earliest convenience. (branko@southway.com or 613.738.0330)
Iqaluit Nunavut
“restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

excellent menus and service. Lovely ambiance and beuatifully presented meals . Creme Bruille was beautifully presented with a spoonfull of diced strawberries

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Polarpilot
Branko M, Manager at Shallows Grill, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.