“Great Idea!”

Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Idea!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

What I liked when I went to eat at mellos was the idea of the whole diner in the morning and fancy dinner at night. What I disliked was the tight space we were in but other than that everything was amazing, the food, the service and much more.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank PerfectStrawberry

Ottawa, Canada
“Great diner”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Mellos is a great diner in the market. If you're looking for a place to grab a quick breakfast, this is it.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Dan M
“Great bang for your buck! Will definitely come back!!”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've been living in Ottawa for a year now, and finally managed to get to Mellos. I heard that this is the real deal. I wasn't disappointed.
If its greasy fare you want, then this is the place. A joint that hasn't been updated in quite some time, but the food and the service make up for the decor.
My bacon and eggs, toast and coffee set me back just under 10$, well worth it.
I will be back soon!!

Hamilton, Canada
“Old School Charm”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Old time diner. We went for breakfast- juice, eggs, sausage toast and home fries for him, eggs, beans, home fries and coffee for me= just under $15. Tasty, not too greasy.

Small, cosy, a mix of locals and tourists, located in the market.

Friendly, memorable staff.

Highly recommend!

Bellingham, WA
“Good Working Man's Breakfast Joint”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Went here while visiting Ottawa for the first time. Read that it was "the real deal." walked over from our hotel to find an "under new management" sign across the front window. That didn't inspire confidence but we decided to give it a try anyway.

The place doesn't look like it has had an thing done to it since it originally opened. A counter across one side and booths across the other. The lone waitress was a sassy gal who was happy to serve you but wasn't going to take any guff. She knew her regulars by name and made sassy small talk with everyone. Her language was like that of a sailor if you sailors out there will excuse me.

The guy having breakfast behind us talked on his cell phone swearing at someone like he was a mafia don. He later apologized to us for his language. We figured, this is a real working man's diner.

My wife ordered her eggs over medium and the breakfast came with cottage fries, two pieces of thick, buttered slices of toast and a slice of fried bologna. I ordered the same breakfast except with sausage which looked like three slightly spicy hot dogs. Two cups of coffee brought the breakfast to a total of $12 CAN. The eggs were cooked perfectly, the coffee was great and the place a real hoot to sit and watch the interactions.

• Visited March 2012