“wonderful meals that serve the eyes and taste buds!”
Review of Allium

Allium
Ranked #36 of 2,765 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Chicago
“wonderful meals that serve the eyes and taste buds!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I was a little skeptic even after making the reservation and before the meal. The neighborhood and the restaurant itself are not that attractive. Yet, the dishes were nicely presented and tasted awesome as they should be. We ordered the orange tuna as appetizer. The tuna was very fresh and the potato croquettes were fried perfect, the best potato croquette I ever had outside Japan. The beef short rib my husband ordered was so delicious that almost melted in your mouth, that I had to take 2nd bite from his plate. The seared scallop I ordered was good but not the U-12 or U-15 size. My friend took the risk of blind order and it did not disappoint him. I definitely recommend this restaurant to any one who visit Ottawa to go a little away from the Parliament and the finance district.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank tanoshii

Orleans, Ontario, Canada
“A feast for the taste buds”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I dined here last night, courtesy of his twin daughters. We arrived early and the place was almost full by the time we left. Reservations are recommended, even mid-week and on-site parking at rear is limited; otherwise it's street-parking.
Our waiter, Lucas, was very attentive and knowledgeable, and we never felt rushed.
The menu is rather small with a quirky "surprise menu" added to it for those who can eat absolutely everything. Bread and truffle butter start the meal off nicely...and the presentation of each dish was a feast for the eyes.
As appetizers, we chose the Orange Cured Tuna and the Mushroom Toasts; both were delectable and tasted exactly as the menu stated.
We both chose the Flat Iron Steak, which is a cut I had not heard of; marinated and grilled to perfection (mine rare, the other medium-rare), on a bed of asparagus and broccoli, with a bowl of Pommes Frites. The steak melts in your mouth and went very well with the South African Stellenbosch Graceland Merlot 2010.
I finished my meal off with Pascale's All Natural Ice Cream: a scoop of buttermilk/lime Gelato, served with shortbread.
Though the menu itself is rather limited, there is something for almost everyone: fish, meat, duck and vegetarian. The Wine List is quite extensive by comparison.
A bit on the high end, but well worth it for a special occasion!

• Visited June 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“What a fun night full of 'surprises'”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I've heard wonders about Allium, and my husband and I love food so we decided to check it out.

Well the first thing that caught my eye was the "surprise menu." I am a curious person, so I needed to know what it was but I am a picky eater so I was very nervous. I set aside all reservations and went ahead (my husband too). The appetizer was amazing it had eggplant in it - which I hate and somehow LOVED. The flavours were so layered and each new bite was something different. We both enjoyed it immensely.

Next up - surprise main. This is what I was nervous for, all I kept thinking is please don't be lamb, as I've never been a fan. Surprise, surprise it was lamb. Well this restaurant changed my opinion on lamb all together. The pungent flavour I expected was not there, it was so tasty and really succulent. The meat was perfectly cooked, and seemed to melt in my mouth.

I've read a few reviews that warn you to stay away from this, but we had such an amazing experience. They've actually changed my opinion on foods! I love a restaurant that can do this - clearly their cooking staff is all very talented.

We have recommended this place to many, and all have come back pleased. I would suggest doing the surprise because they cook with such amazing talent and flavours - it will not disappoint! I also see a lot of mentions about MP - I think ours was priced very fairly, and our bill came out to $200 (drinks, appetizers and main) for great food, and wine - this is the place for you.

• Visited September 2013
Montreal
“Very good but...”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I just had a wonderful meal at this restaurant. The tofu+vegetable dish is fantastic. However, the surprise item was disappointing. The day I visited, the surprise was chicken breast came at a price of 28$. Though I had no problem with chicken breast being served as meal, I believe they should not charge 28 for chicken while they charge 25 for steak on their menu - the economics does not make sense. This is the only reason I do not give Allium a 5 rating.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank sonicwithtails
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Birthday Lunch”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I was nicely received by our soon to be waitress who brought me to my table and promptly served and poured me a glass of cool water out of a decanter while I waited for my guest. The lunch menu and wine list looked great. I asked my waitress her recommendation on wine to go with our preferred starter and main that would accompany both meals. She hit it on the button. service and food were sharp and on time for us, and if it wasn't for the Luke warm temperature of some of the items I would have considered another rating. She sincerely apologized and would have changed the meals had we brought it to her attention earlier. Two forks and a great desert finished off a lovely meal and we will defiantly be back. Eager to try the chefs special.

• Visited May 2014