“Excellent”

The Foolish Chicken Restaurant
Ranked #94 of 2,736 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Groves Point, N.S.
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had baked beans and chicken! It was SO good. The service was second to none. The room is cozy and warm. It was our first visit there but won't be our last.

• Visited December 2012

London by day, Toronto by weekend
“Beef ribs were AMAZING”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Went there on Valentines Day purely cause of the ribs. First time there, the owner served us, he was so friendly!

We ordered the beer ribs+ quarter chicken and quarter rib combo. Both came with a side. We got garden salad. The salad was huge. The beef ribs were SOOO GOOOD. I'm tellling you the sauce was flavourful but not overwhelming. The beef was so tender.

And the chicken, was moist and the skin tasty. I really thought their chicken was good considering so many places make chicken and it's eaten so often.

We were too full for dessert. The owner was sweet and wanted to know what we thought about the food.

Also, it was valentines day, when we left, the owner gave me two long stem roses. :)

Will be back for sure. And recommending to all my friends.

Way better than Swiss Chalet or Milestone chicken.

Only cost us 40$ for two ppl.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank presencegirl
Ottawa
“Gourmet style swiss chalet- amazing homemade desserts”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Had the chicken dinner- really nice sauce on the outside.

Staff is really great- helpful, nice, and no sneers about special requests (on the side, etc). Nice to adults, and nice to the kids :-)

Best part- the desserts, all homemade by the owner's wife (I was told). The chocolate coconut cheesecake is to die for.

Quebec
“Excellent chicken, attentive and friendly service”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The chicken was moist and excellent, and I was impressed that it was gluten free. The sweet potato fries were very good as well. I was too full to try the cheesecake desserts, some of which are also gluten free - but I was sorely tempted. The service was attentive and friendly, and easy-going. I liked the relaxed atmosphere and setting. I absolutely want to come back and sample the white chocolate and lime (gluten-free) cheesecake.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank mettafan
Montreal, Canada
“Great Name, So-So Food”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A great name like this had to mean creative and flavourful food were lying within, right? Alas, not really.

We were seated upstairs in the loft area of the restaurant, which is a converted Victorian home. The tables and chairs were plain, basic wood and not especially comfortable - more pub style than hip bistro.

I figured I should order chicken here to see just how foolish it was, so I chose the rotisserie chicken (their specialty) which was described as rubbed with herbs and spices. Oddly, it arrived with more of a sauced glaze on it, which surprised me obviously. I'd have to say it was rather bland and hence disappointing, other than the fact that it arrived without regard to its menu description. The sweet potato fries were flavourful and crunchy, a superior choice to my dinner companion's french fries. We shared cheesecake for dessert which was decent but not great.

The service was off the night we came, as the server perfected the 1000 yard stare as she walked by our table determined not to make eye contact or notice that our drinks were long in need of replenishing. I've often found it odd that a server carries on this way, when her entire purpose is to make sure that her customer is reasonably content so that she can be rewarded with an additional 15-20% above her salary just for doing her job. She was fortunate that my dining companion picked up the check on this occasion, as there may very well have otherwise been an adjustment to this custom.

Overall disappointing although not a horrible experience. Like the title says, so-so. I would not choose to return unless the group I was with really insisted.

• Visited October 2012