“Heaving with World Cup watchers, ok food”
Review of Earl Of Sussex Pub

Earl Of Sussex Pub
Ranked #597 of 2,785 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Description: The Earl of Sussex has been in operation at the corner of Murray St and Sussex Dr since 1980. We have 20 draught beers on tap and one of the nicest patios in the ByWard Market. With lots of daily food and drink specials The Earl continues to be a favourite for locals and tourists alike. See you after work for a pint?
Burlington, Ontario
“Heaving with World Cup watchers, ok food”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Any pub that doesn't sell Strongbow is already off to a poor start with me. So I ordered the bulmers written on the menu . Nope they don't have that either just the ubiquitous dreadful Sommersby. Anyway, because of the soccer, service was horribly slow. Surely some expectation of increased patronage could have been predicted. We came back the next day, as it was a favourite of husband's from when he used to visit Ottawa regularly. Same old next day. Washrooms in the basement barely adequate. The spinach dip was fine, fish and chips met hubby's standard, my apple salad was ok but the pecans were really really sweet, pointless having a salad as part of watching my diet when e pecans were saturated in sugar. Just ok

Visited June 2014
Ryan O, Owner at Earl Of Sussex Pub, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
We have never sold Bulmers. Sorry you found the service slow. It was Canada Day and there were two World Cup games that day. Do you think we weren't aware of that fact? When 250 people walk in the door within 15 minutes it tends to slow things down a little and there isn't a thing you can do about it. What do you do in your restaurant when that happens?

Akron, Ohio
“Too trendy and too noisy and too much of a bar scene with an active TGIF ambience. Outside patio is not good.”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I am generally against eating food in public outside on a veranda or patio that overlooks major streets where vehicles can produce fumes and gasoline or oil to damage your taste and the food itself. The food you eat outside should be less expensive than the same food when consumed inside. It is as simple as that for me. I still maintain that position today when we are readily over whelmed and nutritionally bombarded with offers to eat outside on verandas or patios with all of this automobile traffic going by. This was my position when I visited this place in late May 2014. My first lasting impression and one that stays with me now is that this pub is decorated with all the paraphernalia for creating an quasi-historically correct ambience to come close to being a phony artificial environment ready to attract uninformed affluent tourists. Do history majors or graduates students of English history prefer to come her for food? If you want to see and watch how the affluent tourists behave and eat here it is for your pleasure in observing a certain segment of our westernized people. It was too crowded and noisy as it it becomes a giant TGIF party place for large young after work crowds and maybe for uninformed tourists. It becomes a display window for this type of person. This capital city is an expensive city to visit and prices were too high for my tastes so I limited my choices to three small items: eggs, soup and sandwiches. The bar atmosphere was too extensive. Soup was acceptable. Rubbery taste to the eggs and bacon. Sandwiches should be larger with larger portions. Nothing to write home about or put in your recipe book. I do not like eating food in crowded noisy places. It seemed that the menu for dinners and lunch was quite extensive with many selections for you to make but I do not know just how good all these items are for many reasons. For one thing this pub seems to have a captured audience of tourists many of whom might not know what they are getting themselves into when they decide to stop here for food. Uninformed guests for dinner are not what pub like this needs but it thrives on them nevertheless. This place can earn much money for serving what ever it claims to be good food. There is a fashionable side for attracting out of town tourists to a pub that is decorated in this manner. For me the music level or volume was too loud. I don't like to be attracted to eat food and watch live entertainment at the same place for one might not be as good as the other. The ambiance was too noisy and too loud and too crowded with noisy younger patrons. Why would any body come here to order mac and cheese? The menu does seem to have good food but I did not sample much of it for the short time I was there. Waiters were helpful in answering questions, but their behavior reminded me of car salesmen in many automobile showrooms. They did not want to see me leave without ordering and paying for something expensive on the menu. Prices were high for what I ordered and got. If you are on strict tight food budget Ottawa might not be the best or most economical place for you to visit. This place was too trendy for me. Could easily be considered being an over-rated eatery. I could not bear to reman outside with the noisy crowd whose members seemed to be oblivious to the automobile fumes coming from the street. This is not the place for popping in for quick drink. Come on now! I cannot recommend it in its entirety for all people. Some of you might like it more than I did. At the best I can give the place a low average or average rating - nothing above average however when all things are considered. It simply was not my type of restaurant.

Ryan O, Owner at Earl Of Sussex Pub, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Are you really serious? You think that food served on a patio should be less expensive than food consumed inside? That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. Your comments regarding the atmosphere are equally ridiculous. The Earl is located in a National Capital Commission building and is the definition of heritage in Ottawa. It isn't supposed to look like something from Europe. You are aware that this is a pub and not a library right? I can honestly say that someone complaining about a pub being too lively is like someone complaining about a funeral home being too quiet. The only thing in your review that made any sense was that this simply wasn't your kind of restaurant. So why not just say nothing and try another restaurant the next time you're out.
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful patio but....”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming here for years in the summer. The outdoor patio is in my opinion the nicest in the Market area, set back from the busy streets, unlike most, nicely shaded, and with views directly to the American Embassy, National Art Gallery, and Parliament Hill. I keep going back for the patio and good beer, but things go downhill from there. Service is ok but every single time over the years is sooo slow. For brunch this morning I ordered extra crisp bacon and got rubbery sludge and the eggs were like jelly. It didn't seem that busy. Too bad, because with that setting, they could make a fortune. I will go back for the setting and good beer, but likely not for food.

Visited June 2014
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Good beer and chicken wings”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We popped in for a quick drink whilst walking around Ottawa during our holiday in May 2014. We ended up staying for a few drinks and some chicken wings. There were only a few other people inside at the bar but the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly, as were the bar staff. We'd certainly pop in again when we're next in Ottawa, as we had a great afternoon there.

Ottawa, Canada
“Friday night dinner”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I recently met some friends at the Earl of Sussex for dinner and drinks. The service was good, and food and drinks arrived promptly. We shared an order of the fried pickles, they were quite good, and I had the seafood chowder. The portion size was good and the chowder delicious. One of my friends ordered the mac and cheese which was very good. Someone else ordered a wrap and found it a bit dry. The server offered immediately offered to bring something else.
The music level was perfect, loud enough to hear what was playing without interfering with conversation. Also, the live performer was very good, sang good songs and his volume was also good, it didn't make conversation impossible.

I cannot comment on the value/cost as I don't remember what the prices were on the menu, and as this was a celebration, I wasn't allowed to see my bill.

Ryan O, Owner at Earl Of Sussex Pub, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thanks very much for the honest review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and when someone else picks up the bill it's always that much better! See you soon.