“The doorman likes to touch the girls”
Review of The Honest Lawyer - CLOSED

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Buffet
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The food stinks. The staff is always rude and often belligerent. There's an effeminate doorman who pats down all the females as they enter, supposedly to ensure they are not bringing their own booze. The venue really has nothing to offer beyond a few arcade games an its drunken clientele. All in all, the place is pathetic. There are a hundred better places in Ottawa's Bytown; even If this were the only place in town you'd be better off organizing a party at home.

2  Thank Jon H

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Good service, thanks to Joan the bartender who has great customer service skills and good suggestions, good location at the Byward Market

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have been to this place numerous time and can say that I will never go back. The service was awful. The waiter was new and had no support. Two other staff were there and they decided to play pool rather then help him. It took 20 minutes to get a beer because the bartender/manager was always busy. The waiter forgot to take our food order and then got half of them wrong. Overall, it was my worst restaurant experience in 10 years and with the new sports bar opening just down the road, it will only be a matter of time before this place goes out of business!!

1  Thank Tunab5
Reviewed November 25, 2012

If you're looking for something different to do in the byward market, I highly suggest visiting the Honest Lawyer. Service was great, bartenders recommended a few cocktails that I loved (and I'm fairly difficult when it comes to drinks)! My buddies ordered 'Beerzookas', and the beer was priced really well compared to other bars in the market. We played some basketball and air hockey, and played our own music on the jukebox. Will be bringing my co-workers back with me next week!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were excited to visit this pub. The atmosphere was great. Games were awesome.

Now, the awful truth.

We waited 20 minutes before our server came to the table, although there were only 3 other groups in the entire bar. Waited a long time for our pints and when she came back with them, we were ready to order but she just walked away without asking. Ordered the nachos. Hands down, the worst piece of garbage I have ever eaten. They put the salsa and sour cream directly on the nachos (Although it wasn't stated in the menu). Additionally, they were drenched in that cheap cheese sauce...not real cheese. These three concoctions together made the chips so soggy they were flimsy with no crunch. I'm sorry, messing up nachos is difficult. Oh, and they were out of peppers. so there wasn't really anything on the nachos besides awful cheese in a can.

After suffering down as much as I could (I was starved), I just wanted to leave. We were there on a Groupon voucher. The waitress would not accept our Groupon stating that we had to order entrees. This was not in the Groupon or it's fine print. In fact, I later contacted Groupon to ask and they confirmed this with me. Guess you can't even trust an Honest Lawyer!!

I asked to speak to the manager and waited half an hour to do so. She offered us a measly 15% of our bill.

Service was so bad, it was laughable. Food was so disgusting, it was inedible. All in all, this ordeal lasted over two hours.

Only go if you want to go for a drink and a game...although their beer selection sucks.