Tripadvisor

Review of Datsun

Datsun
Ranked #165 of 3,429 Restaurants in Ottawa
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Interesting experience to say the least. Drinks were good, but did not come quick, in regards to food all I can say is Everything we ordered came. If thats the standard that we are staring with... Yes I was cranky, Yas my bau bun was the last thing to arrive at the table. There were a few concerns I’m not going to go on about but ultimately they made it right. Didn’t expect perfection and didn’t get it. Solid effort but I expect more in a dining experience

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (129)

Reviewed December 18, 2019

We quite like Datsun for the food the atmosphere and a fun time with friends. This time we went for a birthday and enjoyed a wide variety of apps, plates and drinks. They make a fine Moscow Mule and several other interesting mixed drinks. Try a few, you can't go wrong!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed September 16, 2019

Given how dug up Elgin is, it's not an easy place to go -- but it's worth putting on your workboots and hiking over for dinner.

Everything is interesting, and in particular, the conversation with the line -- these guys are seriously food obsessed, which is a good sign. They like to eat, they know food, and they have the passion and drive to make great food a memorable experience.

I've been working my way through the menu, so the first time I went, I had the ramen -- I liked it so much the second time I went, I ordered it again just so my wife could have some. The dumplings are crazy good, the pork belly amazingly delicious -- nothing on the menu that we've had hasn't been anything but well thought out, beautiful and a completely wonderful experience.

We've sat at the Chef's table, and chatting with the chefs, you know you've come to the right place, because they love food, and the are passionate about what they do.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 15, 2019 via mobile

The vibe is upbeat casual. The focus is sharing plates. I started with a mouth watering plate of shrimp dumplings which were packed with shrimp and the wrap was there to support the filling not over power it. It was served with home made chili sauce on the side. Following the very generous portion of dumplings the server offered me a little taste of the tuna takaki delicately seasoned not to take away from the fish. To follow up I ordered a pork belly ramen dish- delish. I waddled 25 minutes back to my hotel and smiled all the way.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 2, 2019

We've attempted to try it after hearing good reviews, however, in the past 2 weeks we walked over and it's closed (even though its within their "opening hours") and we're not sure why. When trying to call the number, we get the voice note from El Camino (i guess its sister restaurant).

Date of visit: August 2019