“Nice hotel but .....”

Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice hotel but .....”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I did not stay at this hotel, but went to a 3 days meeting. It is a nice hotel, nothing around the area but the restaurant in the hotel They had free coffee/tea the first day for us, but started charging the second and and third day, since we were not guests. The room they put us in was very cold and everybody needed warm beverages most of the time....I went to a lot of meeting/convention at different hotels, but never encounter such experience as this one...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
AlisonHunter, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our hotel. It was in fact, not the hotel that provided the free coffee, it was the event organizer and they chose not to provide coffee on day 2 or 3. Also, the temperature of the room was requested by the event organizer. Since it was a seminar, they wanted to keep attendees alert. We are sorry these items made you not have an exceptional experience at our hotel. Since you live in the city, we hope that come back in the future and perhaps try a meal in our world class restaurant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
State Road, NC
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I chose this hotel for its proximity to the Ottawa airport, because I was flying out very early the next morning and needed a hotel with a shuttle. (If I had been in town for sightseeing, I would have definitely chosen a downtown hotel, as the airport is about 20 minutes outside town, and a $30.00 cab drive)This is a very nice hotel - my room was huge, immaculately clean, totally soundproofed from airport and highway noise. Great bed and thick large towels. The front desk staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. The printer in the business center was out of ink, so the attendant at the front desk cheerfully checked me in for my flight and printed my boarding pass for me. (There is an airline arrival and departure display screen in the hotel lobby) I did eat dinner in the hotel's restaurant, which was very good (fettucine portofino and a crisp fresh salad), but expensive, as food in most hotel restaurants is. The shuttle was ready and waiting at 5:15 the next morning for the 5 minute ride over to the airport. Traveling as a single woman, I felt very safe and secure at this hotel, and I would highly recommend it, as well as stay here again.

Danby, VT
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My elderly parents and I drove to Ottawa for a family funeral. We spent two nights here, in two rooms, same upper floor but opposite sides of the building (I did not request adjoining rooms, just same floor). Our experiences were terrific, and we would definitely consider returning to this particular hotel. The staff at check-in were friendly and efficient. Our rooms were large and clean, and the sound-proofing was sufficient so exterior noise from the highway and airport was very light and only occasional even then. I appreciated the extra "sweeper" baffle at the bottom of the door to the hallway to help muffle sound and light from that location, too. The breakfast specials in the dining area off the main lobby were terrific; filling, tasty, and cooked to order. We ate our first evening meal here, too; it also was well prepared and tasty. The wait staff were consistently friendly and courteous. Our feeling was that staff seemed to get along with each other, which can make such a positive difference in how they present themselves to the public. Check-out front desk staff were also accommodating when I asked to have tabs for both rooms put on one check-out bill. I have traveled a great deal both for business and pleasure, and I most recently have been working as a tour manager for a travel company, so I see a lot of the good and bad. This particular hotel is definitely on the better end of the spectrum! (It's also easy to drive into downtown Ottawa via the highway.)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I usually stay at a Hilton or Sheraton brand, as I travel on business quite a lot. Having business in Ottawa and booking later than usual, I found the Hilton Garden Inn near the Ottawa Airport.

The front-desk staff were friendly and helpful. Check-in was efficient, the room and sleeping accommodations quite good and the breakfast very good. It's not just a normal breakfast buffet; you have your choice to have your food is cooked to order. It was a little way out of the downtown Ottawa area for business.

The real down-side of the stay was on return to the room after the day away, housekeeping was still making up rooms. My room was not made up and it was 4:30pm. When it suggested that they could make it up during dinner, she said she was leaving at 5pm and couldn't do it - so it wasn't. I did manage to get fresh towels. It made me think they didn't have enough staff to handle the size of this hotel.

Given this last item, I'd rank the hotel as just average on this trip. Hope they improve.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2011

My job requires 4-5 days of travel per week and this is by far the best, most spacious room I have stayed in. The service provided from the staff is amazing and the restaurant is very well equipped to please even the most sensitive palate! Looking forward to my next stay in Ottawa.

Room Tip: If you're travelling alone make sure you ask for a King bed.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The hotel is conveniently located 1 mile from the Ottawa airport (the closest hotel to the terminal, but did not hear the airplanes). Shuttle service and a very large parking lot with free parking. We arrived late at 1:30 am by taxi (about a 3-minute ride), and took the hotel shuttle bus back to the airport later that morning to pick up a rental car. (Rental car companies at the terminal close at 1 am).
Our family of four stayed in a spacious room with 2 comfortable queen beds for three nights during the Thanksgiving weekend. The bathroom was also spacious and clean with thick towels. Free internet access. We ate in the hotel's restaurant for breakfast (included in our hotel rate; otherwise $12.95 per person) -- eggs, sausage/bacon, french toast, pancakes, and home fries were cooked to order. Also included was a buffet: good selection of breads, pastries, cereals, yogurt, fruits, and drinks. The service was very friendly and ample seating in the restaurant. Complimentary coffee, tea and cookies were always available by the reception desk.
The only minor complaint during our stay was a very noisy bathroom fan which turned on automatically when the light was turned on. Otherwise, our hotel stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Whitby Ontario
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This was my first time at Hilton Garden Inn and I was definitely impressed with the location, the people and the amenities offered. Unfortunately I did hit bad traffic (5pm) on way to check in but that was soon forgotten with the efficientcy of my check in. I was in a room very close to exit door on 1st floor which made it very convenient to unload my car. Room was cavernous with very high ceiling. My one complaint is the echo that resulted from this during a conference call. Internet quick Desk Chair very comfortable and lighting excellent for business traveller. Room has fridge and microwave. Another bonus. Bed excellent with the "comfort dial" on the mattress. Meeting rooms well ventilated and lots of light. Chairs comfortable and AV folks were readily available to help with setup and any concerns. Food was good and coffee was hot. I recommend this hotel to anyone planning a business meeting in the Ottawa area. Very (and I do mean very) close to the Airport making travel easier.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business