“make a reservation for this fine food”
Review of 222 Lyon Tapas Bar

222 Lyon Tapas Bar
Ranked #226 of 2,840 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We had a reservation for our party for four, but because of car-pooling we arrived early. The hostess advised us that the early diners had not left our table yet, and suggested we walk around the block for 10 minutes. We strolled around the area, enjoying the public art and working up an appetite. When we arrived back, right on the reserved time, our table was ready, and a very helpful waitress guided us through the menu, made suggestions about numbers of dishes suitable for a dinner for four, and brought our wine promptly.
We enjoyed all of the dishes - the kitchen decided the order in which they came and that suited us just fine. There were some with intense flavours, some a little plainer, but the contrast was welcome. We ate family style, sharing all of the dishes, and the squid, the scallops special, the mushroom platters in particular disappeared very quickly. Our nod towards vegetables, the tortilla de patatas, was a great finale.
We thought we might have confused the waitress - one couple had a 'coupon' - but she managed to separate the bills and apply the discount to one of them making it easy for us.
It was a fun evening of fine food - but I suggest a reservation based on our experience.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Quaint Ottawa house turned intimate setting to dine. I arrived just prior to the lunchtime rush and took a chance on one of the daily specials, 'Perch with yellow peppers'. Fresh flaky fish, subtle sauce and saffron rice and a fresh garden salad evoked memories of recent Mediterranean holiday. I was so taken by this little gem that I returned the same day for dinner. Squid, scallops and bread to mop up the evidence all washed down with a pleasant Spanish white. If, like my wife, you're not into tapas style the fresh sheet caters for a more standard fare. She enjoyed a perfectly cooked steak, fresh vegetables and potatoes The restaurant staff is friendly and prompt and very welcoming but this small eatery may require a reservation to ensure a table.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great service. Yummy Tapas. Prices may seem high, but they put a lot of love in the food. Worth it! I will go again and again.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had dinner here on a rainy Tuesday night in its intimate and comfortable space. We had 2 tapas each. Yummy scallops, tortilla espanola, lamb in rosemary and the most delicious smoked salmon,
Had the sexy berries coated in real cream for dessert. We drank Torres Sangre de Toro.
The dining room is small and there's a nice little bar. All very small yet comfortable, with a Spanish type decor in a renovated former private home. Service is impeccable and friendly. I
wish I lived closer but will make an effort to get back in there from the burbs as soon as I can.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This place is the best. Small and cozy but a wait staff that is spectacular. As a large guy I need a little more room than most people and they have always accommodated me (at least 10 visits). My wife had my 64 birthday party there and we had 15 people and took up more than half of their seating. We were treated like family. Small complaints (i.e. a little slow service, drinks not coming as fast as wanted) were handled promptly and with good humour. Their menu is delicious, no other word can describe their dishes. Their chef is unassuming and shy but man can he throw together tapas plates. The shrimp dishes are always perfectly cooked and my daughter just loves their escargot. I could go through their menu item by item but I suggest you try the place out, you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Bruce B