“Pretty good sushi.”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've come here quite a few times, to the Merivale and Innes road locations. Sushi is always pretty good. Service at the merivale location has been stellar the last few times I've went.

I don't find the maki rolls all that great but the rest of the options are quite good.

I will keep coming back to Sushi Kan as the service and lunch price are good.

1  Thank Derek T

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We liked the combo of fresh sushi and the noon hour (during the week) price. Service and quick and friendly.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Been here a couple of times now and its definitely worth visiting. The menu is diverse and you get a lot of food per portion. Pop is CAD 0.20 and that is not a typo. Fast service and a lot of vegetarian options.

1  Thank Jeroen S
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We eat here frequently so I thought it was worthy of a good review.

The sushi is pretty much all we ever eat, aside from the edamame and seaweed salad. We usually order the all-you-can-eat dinner special. My only complaint is that the service seems to be random at best. Despite writing our choices down on a piece of paper, we always end up with missing items in our order or extra items we didn't order. Sometimes we even get food after we've finished and are about to pay. Not a big deal as we always get whatever is missing if we ask again. I point it out as it's a bit baffling as to how these orders get mixed up when they're written down.

2  Thank evilJaze
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This review for is for Sushi Kan at 1900 Innes Road, in Ottawa.

I have been to Sushi Kan twice before. I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and have been living there until recently. This review will go up against every other sushi place I've been to before. In Florida I'd been spoiled by Shinju Japanese Buffet of Boca Raton. I would go there at lest once a month. In comparison, Sushi Kan fails miserably in the variety of nigiri sushi available and service. If they ran this restaurant in South Florida, they would have to close down in 6 months. But since they're 'the only game in town' in Ottawa, I'll have to accept it. So here it goes...

The price per person was average for an All-U-Can-Eat, a little lower compared to the Sushi Buffets in Florida. I figure this is because at an All-U-Can-Eat 'buffet' you don't need as many servers than an All-U-Can-Eat restaurant where you need a sever to bring your food every time you order.

The restaurant was buzzing with people both times we've been there. Walking in was a bit eerie and the waitress was not very warm or charming. Instead it felt like it was business as usual. More on this later.

The restaurant itself used to be a Denny's. The booths and tables in the dining room are still set to Denny's dining room planogram, so I would believe the tables and carpeting were never changed. I think the air conditioning ducts are moldy and gives it a weird smell. This may have to do with the fact that fresh fish bring moisture to the air inside. The sushi making area and cases are set on the counter seating area of the Denny's while the hot menu items are prepared in the kitchen. The cases look clean and well refrigerated. No fishy smell came from it. The table surfaces looked clean, but the rest of the decor seemed like it needed a wiping. The bathrooms were clean and didn't smell.

The menu is color coded to show the food they're serving during lunch (green) and dinner (red). There are some menu items you can only have during dinner hours. Each menu item has a number and displays a red pepper on the side if it's spicy, and a green leaf on the side if it's vegetarian.

Instead of one paper, per person, like other restaurants I've been to, you order with one piece of paper for the whole table. You scribble the item menu number and quantity next to it. ((Be alert if you're a big party or someone will have your stuff)) If you're in a big party and splitting the check you can send papers for each paying party without a problem. This is the second time in a long time I've seen this done in this manner. Their concept is 'sharing everything on the table', instead of enjoying an individual culinary experience while sharing at table.

Fountain drinks are .20 cents every time, every day, lunch and dinner. Of course we know how much a dry piece of seaweed can expand when re-hydrated. Good and bad at the same time.

When I go to an Asian all-u-can-eat where there's sushi, I go for the sushi, so I'll start there:
I was disappointed by the variety of NIGIRI sushi. They don't carry Ikura (Salmon Roe), or Masago (Capelin roe), but they do carry Tobiko (Flying fish roe). They sell something called a 'Salmon Rose' which is a few slices of salmon shaped like a rose, but personally does not make up for the fact there is no 'Salmon roe'. ((I'm actually afraid to ask about salmon roe because of the possible pronunciation shennanigan it might spark with the owner)) Salmon eggs may be a bit pricey but this is the first time I've never seen them at a sushi, or an all-u-can-eat restaurant. I was also very surprised to see Unagi (Eel), Maguro (Tuna), Toro (Fatty Tuna) absent on their nigiri menu.

NOTE: Unagi (Eel) can be found in hand rolls and fancy rolls, Maguro (Tuna) can be ordered on weekends and holidays for dinner only.

In the Hand Rolls menu you can find; California, Crab, Shrimp tempura, Mango, Avocado, Eel, Salmon Skin, Salmon, and Cucumber in various combinations.

If you prefer to explore the world of sushi rolls, you're in for a treat. They make a nice variety of rolls, from crispy rolls, to rice on the outside, fish on the outside, flying fish roe, or avocado on the outside. My favourites were the Yummy Yummy Roll, Deluxe Dragon Roll, Rainbow Roll and Dynamite Rolls. Be warned that the rolls come to the table in orders of 2, 4, and 6 pieces, depending on the roll.

The tempura items were good. The batter was not sour, the shrimp was sweet, and the veggies tasted fresh.

In the menu you can also find other Asian buffet style items like soups, deep fried items, mandarin dishes, teriyaki dishes, and noodle dishes. On the dessert menu I liked the deep fried banana. My miso soup was very good.

There's an assortment of beer, wines, and hot sake to choose from if you're into spirits. Yes they have plum wine.

About 10% of the food we ordered never arrived before the waitress started ignoring us because of how long we'd been there. At that moment, that same feeling I got when walking towards the table set in again.

They waiters can't be too friendly or give you too much personal attention because after 2 hours on the table you have reached your TIME LIMIT. Yes, there is a 2 hour time limit. This made me feel like they were giving me a hint to leave. We had only been there 1.5 hours.

If you're a newbie to all-u-can-eat sushi, be warned that whatever you don't eat and leave at the table, you will be charged for.

Considering the amount of customers Sushi Kan of Innes serves, I will say they could be doing a lot better on (1) variety, (2) availability and (3) service. I reluctantly give them 3 out of 5 because although the service was not far from robotic, and the variety and availability was not there, the food was good, and the fountain drinks are .20 cents for lunch, dinner, weekends and holidays. I will go again for the quantity.