“Quaint and lively”

Chez Lucien
Ranked #42 of 2,726 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Quaint and lively”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

This place has always been full when I've been there (several times). Their fries with mayo and their burgers are perfect, the beer flows well and the ambiance is fantastic.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank QuitaPeluza

Ottawa, Canada
“Hot Spot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Cozy, relaxed and very busy! This place is one of the better pubs in the area for atmosphere. They have a limited but good menu (great fries and mayo!). This is a great place to meet people for a drink... just be prepared to wait for a table on busy nights as they don't take reservations...

1 Thank Tally_C
GTA
“Decent Spot in the Byward Market”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My family and I took a nice walk over to the Byward Market on February 15th for our first dinner in Ottawa. The reviews looked good so we ventured over. It was fairly early-6ish-and already the place was packed. We managed to find a little spot and waiting for our table. We were able to get some drinks and ordered appetizers (the cheese platter-very nice selection of cheeses-the Guiness cheddar was fantastic). The wait was quite reasonable for a Friday night during Winterlude-less than an hour. Once we got to our table, I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in the lack of choices on the menu. The main focus of the menu is burgers so that is what I went with. I had the Chez Lucien Burger (when in Rome..), my youngest son had just a plain burger while my husband had the special-NY Steak with Guiness Cheddar mashed potatoes. The burgers were very good as far as burgers go-probably in the top 5 category. I tasted the mashed potatoes and they were delicious. It is a very small place and quite noisy. Our table was in the back of the restaurant, right in front of the open kitchen which was a nice treat-watching the chefs at work. The service was very friendly and attentive. Overall, it was a nice place. I would certainly recommend it-I night prefer to visit for lunch rather than dinner, but I would return.

2 Thank knitaholicGTA
Gatineau, Quebec
“Cozy and Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went my friend and I to Chez Lucien and it was excellent. I had the fettuccine with chicken and a glass of Shiraz. The pasta was cooked to perfection. It was very tasty. The cream was also very good. Do me a favor and go to this place. You will not regret it.

1 Thank fpaquin
Kitchener, Canada
“Unbeatable Burgers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were happy to duck in out of the Ottawa cold into the cozy quarters of Chez Lucien tonight! After seeing good reviews on Trip Advisor, we thought we would check out this little pub in the Byward Market. When I say 'little", I mean little! One might see the cramped quarters as a downside, but I think it sort of adds to the charm of the place. We did wait some time to be seated (and there is not really a proper place to wait, which was sort of awkward) but that gave us the opportunity to see and smell all of the wonderful dishes as they were being delivered to the tables. We eventually snagged spots at the bar where we sampled the pickled eggs which were delicious and addictive! Once we were seated at our table, everyone in our group ordered the burgers and they were outstanding! The Bourgeois Burger was very tasty topped with pear and Brie cheese. I also like that the burgers are served with both salad and crispy fries. Choose one of the full-bodied micro brewed beers as the perfect pairing with your burger. We will be back to Chez Lucien again! This is a quaint spot with a good vibe and great food at a reasonable price!

• Visited January 2013