“A Gem In the Heart of Byward Market”
Review of Cafe Indochine

Cafe Indochine
Ranked #1,096 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is one of our favorite Vietnamese restaurants in Ottawa & well worth the 20 minute drive. The restaurant itself is small, quaint but very clean with 2 floors to dine. In summer they have a small covered patio, and offer an amazing lunch special for $12.95 (approx) which includes a delicious mixed chicken & pork spring roll (very light & crisp without being greasy!), hot & sour pineapple soup with shrimp, celery, tomato, bean sprouts (the best pineapple soup I've ever had), followed by your choice of entree (my favorite is a chicken curry with lemongrass that's slightly spicy due to the light touch of chili) accompanied by steamed rice & a side salad with fried bits of garlic & shredded carrot & cucumber. Fresh local ingredients are the key here, and the light touch. The price of house wine is extremely reasonable for the Market. I have enjoyed on a hot summer day their homemade lemonade with gin and mint! The service can be a hit and a miss (I've had to sometimes get up from my seat & seek out a server) but generally friendly. I call ahead for take out and it's always ready and fresh. I did try a Vietnamese restaurant a few doors down and it was just not to my liking, and quite a bit more expensive & their spring rolls were heavy and unfortunately greasy. I see they now had their restaurant on FB along with their menu.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Indochine

Reviewed April 9, 2014

If you like small and personal spaces as well as fresh, cheap and tasty food, you should visit this place. I had one of their lunch specials and it was very tasty and well done. I talked to some of the customers around, and a couple of them were regular clients who live in the neighborhood. If you're around, come to this place. You won't regret it!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have been going to this little cafe in the Byward Market since it opened in 1997 - full menu can be found at: cafeindochine.blogspot.com They serve many different types of soups, appetizers, salads, rice dishes, vermicelli dishes as well as a list of house specialties (everything is prepared fresh). The also have a lengthy vegetarian menu for those looking for healthy choices. The staff are very polite and friendly and try hard to take care of your every need. Having lunch or dinner at Cafe Indochine is like coming home and having a family member cook your favorite meal. We can't say enough about this charming little restaurant. It's intimate enough for a romantic lunch or dinner for two and large enough for a group outing as well.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This rather unprepossessing looking restaurant/café with tables out on the street as well as tables inside served wonderful flavourful Vietnamese food. The ingredients were beautifully fresh and nicely prepared and presented and the price was right - extremely good value for money. The service was good and the staff very nice & polite.

1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were at Bywater market looking for food. To avoid the usual Italian or pub-grub fare, we decided on this little Vietnamese place.

We had a sweet and sour soup, spring rolls, a bowl of pho, and a banana-leaf roasted trout.

The soup and spring rolls were nicely done; the spring roll has a thin delicate skin and doesn't drown out the appetite.

While I am quite particular about the soup in a pho, the soup in this pho is quite nicely done, nothing really amazing, but certainly way better than passable (wish I can say the same for many other pho establishments). The pho has a slight buttery taste that certainly comes from the beef stock, and the spices were very light but tangible. The noodles and beef are nice, but nothing extraordinary.

The roasted trout I had was perfectly cooked, with a good charcoal aroma to it. The banana leaf also provided flavour rather than just decoration.

We also had desserts, inexpensive and decently done.

However, the restaurant is not new nor beautiful, though the seating is comfortable and the food definitely compensates for this.

This is a nice little place near Bywater; less expensive than the main fares. I would recommend it.

2  Thank Brian O