“Great little place.”
Review of OZ KAFE

OZ KAFE
Reserve with OpenTable
OZ KAFE is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #451 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Let me tell you, first and foremost the service at this place was incredible. Our waitress was so nice and meek I just loved her. She explained all of our dishes to our and seemed genuinely happy with her job.

The ambiance at this place is fantastic. Cute inside, not too packed, small and friendly staff. Just loved it!

We ordered a sharing cheese plate for two which was plenty and very reasonably priced. The candied almond, selection of cheese, local raspberries and blueberry jam were delicious!!

We both ordered the steak and Caesar. Both of our steaks were cooked to our perfection and were wonderfully seasoned. The food here definitely met our expectation. I don't believe they offered us desert.

Would definItely recommend this place!

1  Thank Paolo182002
There are newer reviews for OZ KAFE

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We've been to Oz a few times now and always leave wondering why we don't go there more often. Must be the location...it's tiny and squished below street level between a number of other food establishments, plus parking isn't always easy to find. The food however, never disappoints - fresh, well prepared and nicely presented. Meat & fish entrees are always perfectly cooked. If you want great food in a casual & friendly setting, this is the place to go.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We ordered a steak dinner and vegetarian lettuce wraps with tofu. Both dishes were average, however steak was better than the lettuce wraps. One of our friends found a hair in her food, and consequentially they did not charge her for the meal.
The service was fast and friendly.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

After all the great reviews, I was shocked at how boring the food was. Had a tartare first: not chopped finely enough, pieces of un chewable gristle, and only hints of the herbs and spices that could have made it wonderful.

Next came blackened trout with corn salsa and grilled veg. First bad sign, the plate is cold. The fish is perfectly cooked, but lukewarm and I'm not sure what they blackened it with, but it sure wasn't spices! Corn salsa almost saves this dish, but there just isn't enough of it. Veg decent -- marrows, tomatoes, fresh and seasonal -- so I eat most of those and skip the fish.

The table next to me are regulars, and they commented on how bland the food was lately, which got us wondering if they were breaking in a new chef. Whatever the reason, Oz is a big disappointment.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We've bern to Oz a few times before, always with consistently good food. This evening did not disappoint as well. The main room has a small bar, with the noise from a drinks blender which I will be more wary of the next time. We were with an older couple who had a bit of hearing difficulty. The back room would have probably suited us better. (Except people, really, if your child is fussing don't take him out of the room you're in and into another room to disturb THOSE diners!) The main room itself is pleasant enough, with wine glasses tied and dangling down from skylights, but minimal artwork. The tiny patio out front was filled with intrepid souls who obviously like the heat more than me! The menu is quite small and is infused with Japanese influences. But the daily specials is where most of us gravitated to. My husband had a salad with goat cheese and pistachios (rather bland really) off the main menu but my special cold swordfish slices prepared with lemon, chives and a sauce that was just too yummy! Three of us chose the scallop special and one chose the wild boar belly on the main menu. We all loved the grilled scallops on a mound of green and yellow beans, fried potatoes, arugula was just too tasty! We all ate everything on our plates. And I got a taste from the one who ordered the wild boar belly and I found it really tasty. She didn't seem to like it much because of the fat, but that's what you get with belly and I think she just didn't know that. Dessert is always a let-down for us non-dairy eating types and this was no different - one lucky soul had the locally made rhubarb and ginger ice-cream with ginger snaps, which he absolutely loved, and two others had the strawberry shortcake without all the cream and custard, and surprisingly, strawberries! They brought white angel food cake stuffed with fresh in season raspberries (which IS nicer!) but the cake was just
bland. A half litre of boring pinot grigio ordered by the other couple was finished, nonetheless, because it IS wine after all! A note on the specials - on a previous visit I had a tuna special that was SOOO good! The best prepared tuna I think I've ever had! So if that is the special, order it! But order it the way the chef would prepare it - rare. Tuna is just not nice overcooked!