“Consistently good food with daily specials that shine!”
Review of OZ KAFE

OZ KAFE
Reserve with OpenTable
OZ KAFE is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #353 of 2,856 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We've bern to Oz a few times before, always with consistently good food. This evening did not disappoint as well. The main room has a small bar, with the noise from a drinks blender which I will be more wary of the next time. We were with an older couple who had a bit of hearing difficulty. The back room would have probably suited us better. (Except people, really, if your child is fussing don't take him out of the room you're in and into another room to disturb THOSE diners!) The main room itself is pleasant enough, with wine glasses tied and dangling down from skylights, but minimal artwork. The tiny patio out front was filled with intrepid souls who obviously like the heat more than me! The menu is quite small and is infused with Japanese influences. But the daily specials is where most of us gravitated to. My husband had a salad with goat cheese and pistachios (rather bland really) off the main menu but my special cold swordfish slices prepared with lemon, chives and a sauce that was just too yummy! Three of us chose the scallop special and one chose the wild boar belly on the main menu. We all loved the grilled scallops on a mound of green and yellow beans, fried potatoes, arugula was just too tasty! We all ate everything on our plates. And I got a taste from the one who ordered the wild boar belly and I found it really tasty. She didn't seem to like it much because of the fat, but that's what you get with belly and I think she just didn't know that. Dessert is always a let-down for us non-dairy eating types and this was no different - one lucky soul had the locally made rhubarb and ginger ice-cream with ginger snaps, which he absolutely loved, and two others had the strawberry shortcake without all the cream and custard, and surprisingly, strawberries! They brought white angel food cake stuffed with fresh in season raspberries (which IS nicer!) but the cake was just
bland. A half litre of boring pinot grigio ordered by the other couple was finished, nonetheless, because it IS wine after all! A note on the specials - on a previous visit I had a tuna special that was SOOO good! The best prepared tuna I think I've ever had! So if that is the special, order it! But order it the way the chef would prepare it - rare. Tuna is just not nice overcooked!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Read the review from the Ottawa Citizen Restaurant reviewer and decided to try. We went for dinner and was absolutely impressed. Small restaurant with some outdoor tables. The menu has basic menu for everyday but there is a list of daily specials that change daily. We tried the salmon "sushi" which was fantastic. For mains had the fish which was a special, flaky well prepared with crisp fresh vegies. We also had the steak and caesar salad. THE STEAK WAS ONE OF THE BEST I EVER HAD. WIne list was short but well priced. Pairs well with the menu. Server was friendly, efficient and made us feel at ease. Recommendations were perfect. Very simple restaurant but with great cooking skills. Will return on next vist

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Fresh ingredients, beautiful plates, what more could you ask for?

I've been to OZ for brunch on Sundays only, dinners and for late night snacks. The mains/appetizers change everyday and there are always new items added depending on the season and what's available locally.

Casual atmosphere, really cool servers that take care of you and always make sure you have full glasses of water. If you ever get a chance, talk to Oz, she is the sweetest person ever and will make your visit to her restaurant the most memorable.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

OZ is a fun place with interesting food. It has a vegetarian bento box for the veggie crowed, and usually has a fillet or stark on the menu. Their side of poutine was delicious (with smoked duck for good measure) but I think they stopped serving it. Can be a little loud up front with large packs of 20 something girls being way too loud, but it can also be a funky, relaxed atmosphere in the back.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I had been hearing about and reading the great reviews of OZ Cafe for the past couple of years but had been really deterred by the location - being on Elgin that is. Not originally from Ottawa I would assume it is more of a University crowd than dinner crowd which is bit of a turn off. Any case, we made the trip and showing up and realizing that it located in some sort of strip that also includes the Lieutenant's Pump I was honestly second guessing my reservation. Once we were able to spot the restaurant and made our way in we were greeted by a table with a guy in a muscle shirt. Not a great start - I thought we walked into a McDonalds. Luckily we sat in the back because I honestly don't think I would have stayed. In the back, it was jammed, tables were tight, low ceilings and no a/c, I did feel a little claustrophobic. I glanced to the table next to me and the guy who was sitting with his 4 yr old was licking his fingers. As my husband and I glanced at each other we thought ok, lets not be snobs let's stay and try the food as we did discuss leaving. We got the oysters - a serving each as they only come in 3. They had parm and mushroom and were baked and they were delicious. We actually asked for bread to get the remaining sauce in the oysters :-) We both had the flank steak that was served with a smoky bacon, asparagus and roasted potatoes and a chutney. Really loved this, could have done without the overload of asparagus but the combo of flavours was truely awesome. We decided to skip dessert as they had baklava, a take on an apple pie and a bannana cake and weren't feeling it. We also had drinks to start and a bottle of wine and it came to about 130-140 - pretty reasonable. The server was great, she was helpful, attentive and pleasant. We were happy we stayed and would definitely love to make a trip back....just too bad on its location.