“Lobster poutine and Blueberry beer”

Petit Bill's Bistro
Ranked #42 of 2,856 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Smirle
Transit: The numbers 2 & 16 stop mere steps away!
Description: Petit Bill’s was borne from the family values and sense of everyday “down-home” hospitality our mom & dad showed to anyone who came their way. Our house was THE place where all our friends gathered, be it for Sunday night dinner, Christmas Eve or just a place to be comfortable and safe. As teenagers, the whole family flourished under the watchful eye and guidance from our parents and the acceptance our parents gave to our friends and visa versa. Today, Petit Bill’s is a homage to this wonderful trait. We are proud to offer great comfort food, succulent steaks & fresh fish and truly homemade desserts. We use only the finest ingredients available and utilize as much local produce and products possible. We have won numerous awards for our wine list with the crown jewel being the VQA Award of Excellence in 2009 for showcasing Ontario & VQA Wines on our lists. It is this type of commitment to local that will continue to on all of our menus. We hope you will come by and see us again soon…to paraphase our folks… “Welcome to Petit Bill’s & welcome home!”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

The Lobster poutine is a must-try and went very well with a delicious pint of Broadhead Blueberry Blonde ale. My wife had the pecan burger which she said was excellent. Service was ok and it's definitely a little pricey, but the food can't be denied.

1  Thank OttawaAl81
Spinks1, Owner at Petit Bill's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Thank you, we appreciate the kind words

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

First time at Petit Bill's and definitely won't be our last! Creative and delicious menu (appetizers are very generous portions). Sea scallops with maple bacon were amazing! Sangria had beautiful fruit garnish and very yummy. Service was phenomenal - very attentive yet unobtrusive. Our family group of 10 thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Thank you so much, hope to see you soon..

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I always enjoy visiting this neighbourhood restaurant. the food is consistently good and the menu changes often enough to keep things interesting. The service is always good no matter which of the brothers is in attendance. I can recommend the Duck and , or the Cod in curry sauce, delicious.

Spinks1, Owner at Petit Bill's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

It's always a pleasure...

Reviewed July 30, 2014

When a visiting friend told me that she'd never had poutine & was curious, I had to let her know that the only poutine for me is le Petit Bill's. Seeing is believing, so we booked a table for dinner & were not disappointed. Our server was attentive without being overbearing & we had an informative conversation with the owner in attendance about the winelist (we chose a Spanish Rosado). The three of us had the beet salad as a starter, which did not skimp on the beets & was dressed with a subtle & flavourful dressing. My friend & I had the lobster poutine as our main course (perfectly cooked frites covered in a mascarpone sauce & lobster), while my husband opted for the curried cod. Everything was delicious, served piping hot & perfectly seasoned. And it certainly proved my point that if you're going to eat poutine, go for the "luxe" version.

Thank you for the kind words, see you soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

This was our first time (4 of us) eating at Petit Bill's Bistro and what a disappointment it was. The place attempts to be something it isn't, both in atmosphere and food. We were greeted and seated quickly and with a smile but from there, any attempt by our server, or any other employee who approached our table to engage us or interact with us was non-existent,

We ordered drinks to start, leaving any wine choices till food decisions were made. Cocktails arrived and we ordered our appetizers, which arrived long before the cocktails were gone......it seemed as they were rushing to get things out. Of the four of us, only one person was satisfied with the appetizer, a chowder. The lamb and the crab cakes were so incredibly salty that that is all you could taste.....they were generous in portion however with the high quantity of salt you truly couldn't say if they were tasty or not.

Mains.......again, only one person was happy....they had a chicken dish. The steak frite was over-cooked, the merguez sausage dish.....again, so over the top salty it was impossible to taste anything else and the lobster pasta dish, also incredibly salty.

Although we were celebrating a birthday, we collectively decided to go elsewhere for coffee and dessert as we were unhappy with the meal and overall, the service......not that it was bad, it was non-existent in that food orders were taken, food arrived and that was it....no exchanges at all.

None of us said anything at the time as we did not want to spoil the evening for the birthday person........if it had been any other occasion I would have returned my food, which undoubtedly would have resulted in at least one other returning their food as well.

This is not a cheap place. I will not be going back there and I would not recommend it.

2  Thank RandolphK59
Spinks1, Owner at Petit Bill's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

I can't apologize enough about your poor experience but it would have prudent to let us know how you felt while you were in, as I always point out there is very little I can do after the fact..

I'm sorry that you found most of the food 'salty', the Lobster dish is the biggest surprise in your comments, the chef is looking into the cheese sauce to see if somehow somebody went off the recipe; it's a very popular dish & we're both mystified on how it could be salty as for the steak, we would have gladly made another or removed it from the bill..

As far as the server goes, I'll address that with the server, we pride ourselves on being a friendly restaurant & I'm disappointed that you found her distant..

If there is anything I can do to make this right please contact me @ the restaurant anytime