“Friday Night Out”

Ranked #223 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Now in the business of serving superb meals for over 50 years, Al's proudly offers only certified Angus beef, as well as succulent chicken dishes, seafood, and even hearty lunchtime salads, sandwiches, and filet mignons. And it's all served up by a friendly, knowledgeable staff amidst chic, contemporary decor. Open daily for lunch and dinner. Al's also boasts a conference room that can accommodate up to 130 guests. Reservations recommended. Ample free parking.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went out for a quiet evening and really enjoyed the ambience,service and the filet which was cooked perfectly! Salad dressing was excellent just the right amount of garlic! Wait staff always available as opposed to hovering and I believe the owner came over to make sure all was well.

I would recommend Al's Steak House for the above reasons!

There are newer reviews for Al's Steakhouse & Seafood

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Found this restaurant prior to looking at any reviews. We had just arrived in Ottawa and walked down Elgin Street looking for somewhere to eat, most of the places we saw were pub type eating places which did not look particularly inviting. This restaurant stood out from the rest, it's windows were folded back and inside there were quite a few diners sat at smart tables with crisp white tablecloths. We went in and were not disappointed, nice atmosphere inside and we were offered a choice of tables, we opted for a booth.
We decided not to have a starter and chose for our main the surf and turf special at 25.95$ This consisted of an 8oz. steak and five grilled king prawns on a bed of flavoured rice. There were several choices of potato and we chose fries, hot and delicious. Our steak came perfectly cooked, med rare as requested, and was served with a crisp side salad with Al's famous dressing.
To drink we had a bottle of Australian red which was Lindemans Pinot Noir. Service was excellent, friendly and attentive, but not over the top.
My wife mentioned while speaking to the waitress that I had an important birthday coming up later in the week and when the waitress returned she brought a piece of Al's special coconut cream pie with a candle in it, nice touch!
Our total bill was 97$ which we thought was excellent value, if we were staying longer in Ottawa we would definitely go back, can't understand some of the other reviews on here, sounds like they went to a different place!

1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I ordered the 5oz filet mignon with vegetables because I can't eat the amount of steak usually served in steak houses. The house salad which is included in the price of the main course was acceptable although the curls of carrot are a bit difficult to eat with decorum. However, when the meat dish arrived I was startled by its presentation. A very small piece of steak - all right I did ask for the 5oz - accompanied by - da da - two sticks of soggy and tough broccoli and a sprig of parsley. No potatoes, no sauce for the steak and "vegetables" meant two inedible sticks of broccoli? I tried the broccoli but couldn't cut it with my knife. The steak was rather dry especially without any sauce and not very tender. When the waitress came by to see if everything was "all right" I had to tell her that for the money - an amazing $26 - I was not pleased. I asked to see the manager who came and explained to me that this was a new healthy way of preparing the broccoli by baking it in the oven!!! So healthy that no-one would eat it, probably. I said that for the price I expected potatoes and at least a sauce for the steak. He told me that I could have sauce at an extra price. Now really this is supposed to be a steak house. How much more would I have to pay for the smallest filet mignon you will ever find on a menu to get a sauce, a potato and some decent vegetables. He persisted somewhat in making excuses but eventually I said I would not eat it. I was eventually compensated with a completely different dish with a medley of vegetables which the waitress ensured would make up for the first dish. I believe she was embarassed, too.
Canadians travel a lot and expect more for their money in restaurants. Frankly, I felt ripped off. Visitors to our capital would not get a good impression of our city if they are served meals like this at these prices.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I'm a steak lover. A true carnivore and I have had my share of steaks but nothing comes close to a steak from Al's steak house. Of course you must have the salad with the house dressing. It's is sooooo good they actually sell the dressing to take home. Service is flawless, décor is nice and clean. Doesn't have that western or country full of junk on the walls that other steak house have. But don't be fooled with the atmosphere. Once you start eating the walls disappear and you dive into another world of savors.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Came at Al's with my staff for our Christmas 2013 team celebration lunch.

Their salad (house dressing) and mussels are still a real treat and the steaks tasty, but Al's is not what is used to be... Tables too close to each other. Service was average, often waiting between visits to the table by the servers. For a while, years ago, one used steaks at Al's to judge the others around. Now this honour is gone and the restaurant is barely keeping up with the other high end dining alternatives.

If you rarely splurge on more expensive dining, you may want to consider alternatives to Al's since the value and dining experience here has faded away over the years.

Been to Al's Steakhouse & Seafood? Share your experiences!