“Welcoming and delicious” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
“Welcoming and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Jadeland has been a family favourite for 5 years. Delicious food and amazing service. Convenient access and parking. Always have great specials which help introduce new dishes in authentically prepared ways. The owners work on site and personally serve. Fantastic value for money and never disappointed. We've also done baptism, pre wedding family reunions and birthday parties at Jadeland. The large circle tables fit 8 adults well. High chairs and booster seats for toddlers available.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank 1Luv2

Ottawa, Canada
“Small does not mean bad at ALL!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Every year on our birthdays, my family goes out to eat at a place of their choice. I have always been a lover of Chinese food. In particular, I appreciate great, authentic Chinese food (as authentic as is possible in North America). I had tried Royal Treasure in downtown Ottawa a couple of years ago and loved it, so I thought I would try Jadeland. SO...at first view, it's nothing special, but thankfully looks aren't everything. It is a small restaurant, but in my experience, often small restaurants or eateries are some of the best kept secrets. Jadeland is no different. My family loved it. I loved it. We sampled several delicious entrees. My favorite of the night was the Sizzling Plate of Black Pepper Steak. The sauce was perfect, along with just the right amount of pepper and spice. Everything was piping hot. The General Tso's chicken was very good. The only thing that we weren't big fans of was the fried dumpling. The thing we didn't like was the fact that there were good size chunks of shrimp in it, and while normally I like cold jumbo shrimp, the shrimp in this dumpling was not that good. Other than that, everything was very good. The pricing is very reasonable for the quantity that you get. The restaurant is set up to serve large portions of the entrees so as to share several different dishes. Great restaurant for flavour.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gatineau, Canada
“Very good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We was there with our grand-mother. We liked the food and appreciated the good service. They also serve a very good jasmin tea.
We like that place and recommend it for a good meal in Ottawa.

• Visited September 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Cuisine and Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I am from Dallas, Texas and was visiting a friend in Ottawa over the summer and he took me to his favorite Chinese restaurant which happens to be Jadeland. The food was spectacular and due to my allergy to chicken, the chefs were able to accommodate my allergy and assured us the food contained no chicken or chicken broth. We went a again with a group of 7 and had a plethora of dishes ordered. The chefs even made a special soup without chicken broth. I love this restaurant and hope to go again on my next visit to Ottawa.

• Visited July 2013
Key West, Florida
“A very good experience - in an unusual way.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

This restaurant accomplishes - perhaps by accident! - what many try to do but so often fail. Jadeland provided a venue for the conversation among friends to be easy, fluid and uninterrupted. This is no subtle task (sorry, going to delve into the esoteric/philosophical, such was my happiness...)

The food is solid. Crispy beef not too sweet; Kung Pao, not too spicy; green beans with minced pork, tasty. The environment is largely forgettable. Mostly tables of four or more, the larger tables with lazy susans in the centre to spin your food around to your friends. Friendly service.

None of these is the superlative of this place; what works best is what the restaurant is not: the service is not so intrusive that your conversations are annoyingly cut off (she can and did ask me for water later - after I had finished my polemic), and yet the service was efficient. The food is not so stellar nor so breathtakingly presented that it becomes the absolute highlight of the evening, and yet the food was tasty and pleasing. The environment was sufficiently casual that I was fine in shorts, and my office slave friends were not out of place in suits. We managed to stay about 3 hours - no rush by them to turn the table.

If I may wax lyrical, this is the perfect kind of place - where the environment and the food and the service all permit you the space to enjoy the company of your dining companions, and to leave with satisfied bellies. What more could a restaurant be or do?

• Visited June 2013