“Continues to please year after year”
Review of El Meson - CLOSED

El Meson
Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Dropped in without reservations for lunch and of course they could accommodate us.

We are always impressed with the warm welcome. It’s like coming home after a long absence. It does not matter how busy the place is the staff always have time to say hello, ask how you’ve been and sit you comfortably at a table with clean starched linen.

The gazpacho is outstanding. Always has been. Seasoned with cumin and fresh flavors it has pleased me time and again.

The luncheon paella is excellent. Large shrimp, great calamari, spicy chorizo and a nice small chicken breast grilled in the center.

Desserts are great but my favorite is the house speciality – a terrific meringue smothered in crème anglaise and sprinkled with cinnamon.

The wine list is brief but designed to complement everything on the menu and please most tastes.

Service is amazing; like watching a symphony. Two experienced professionals glide throughout the house, appear just when you need them, and are unnoticed the rest of the time. You wait for nothing.

One of the great restaurants in Ottawa!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great value , particularly for the table d'hote. Seafood and lamb are featured. Old home atmosphere is warm and welcoming .

1  Thank Capital422
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Went to this restaurant with colleagues last month. Not sure they put in our food but all 5 of us ended up with a severe case of diarrhea after our visit.

1  Thank Javier J
Andre C, Owner at El Meson, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Hello Javier,

Im sorry you had a bad experience. It would have been helpful for us to have had this information directly after your visit so we could have gone through our inventory, checked websites for product recalls etc. and tried to narrow it down to what all of you ate that was a common element. We have since done this and came up empty handed.
None of our fresh seafood sits for long and is properly rotated. Our kitchen is one of the cleanest in the city and we have highly qualified kitchen staff preparing each dish. I wish this review could have been more constructive. We work very hard to keep our premise clean and products fresh to satisfy our guests. I hope you do try El Meson again as I believe it is truely a great restaurant.
Andre

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone. Food is very ordinary yet extremely expensive. The waiter was also very rude. He stood there as I was entering my pin number in the credit card machine and kept on staring while I was putting in the tip percentage. Very invasive and indiscrete.

1  Thank Alex B
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went there tonight for my father in law's birthday. It was a nice restaurant, the service was impeccable. I like when we get special attention and we did get a nice treatment for his birthday. I'd say the prices are a bit high but still you get quality food for the price. All in all I'd go back!

1  Thank Matt R