“expensive water ($15/bottle)”

Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I dined at El Meson with three of my friends. We ordered from table d'hote - haddock, lamb, and chicken entrées - all were very well done and, for the quality of food, were reasonably priced ($38-$45). Our waiter was nice and attentive... for the first half an hour anyway. Then he simply disappeared. After about 40 min I had to call a different waiter to see what was going on. I was told that our original waiter was serving a different group of people upstairs... and forgot to reassign us. And one little detail worth mentioning. Our original waiter asked if we wanted to have some water... but do not assume that it comes free as in most other restaurants. In the bill, we were charged additional $30+tax for ostensibly finishing "2 bottles of water"!!! We felt duped and, combined with poor service, our experience was totally spoiled.

1  Thank Pirt R
There are newer reviews for El Meson

Reviewed June 15, 2012

the food is great but the service is extremely poor. It appears if you did not purchase alot of money on alcohol, your sevice was poor. I would not recommend this restaurant to any one is visiting from another country. My German friend were not impressed with the service.

1  Thank bubbles621
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I dined at El Meson for the first time with my father during my last visit to Ottawa. Yes, the food is absolutely delicious! But it was the fantastic service that will keep me coming back. The staff are wonderful! We had such a great time...in fact we ended up closing the restaurant down!

El Meson is easy to find. It's is in a charming old house on Beechwood in Vanier. There is parking at the side of the building as well as on the street.

You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed March 29, 2012

The food in this restaurant is wonderful. We started with sharing the tapas for one, there was enough for both as a started. |For the main course I had one of the veal dishes and my partner had the other on the menu, both were super. An amazing selction of wine available and we shared a half litre of the Spanish Shiraz, it was smooth and full of fruity flavour. The price is a bit on the hihg side but the service and the food is excellent.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We had not been to El Meson in at least 20 years and it seemed like nothing had changed. El Meson serves Spanish and Portuguese food - sopa de ajo(garlic soup), paella valenciana, tapas(generous portions). Vergy good service and great food. Our friends started with the sharing of the tapas flamencas which consisted of chorizo(sausage), large shrimps, roasted peppers, breaded calamari(excellent), cod cake, tomato and artichoke salad with garlic mayo, turnip sticks, soft cheese and a small bowl of beans (too much for 2 people) could probably be shared by 4 people. We started with escargots, mushrooms in garlic sauce, it was excellent. The 4 of us had paella valenciana which 3 of us really enjoyed but 1 person found it too salty. The seafood was not overcooked, chorizo sausage was moist, saffron rice with onion/garlic, peas and peppers was also excellent. Overall the food was tasty and very good but a bit pricey. The wines are expensive, do not bother with the house white wine, it was too sweet. On a negative note we had to ask for glasses of water which to us should be a given.