“Still a wonderful dining experience”
Review of El Meson - CLOSED

El Meson
Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The food in this restaurant is wonderful. We started with sharing the tapas for one, there was enough for both as a started. |For the main course I had one of the veal dishes and my partner had the other on the menu, both were super. An amazing selction of wine available and we shared a half litre of the Spanish Shiraz, it was smooth and full of fruity flavour. The price is a bit on the hihg side but the service and the food is excellent.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We had not been to El Meson in at least 20 years and it seemed like nothing had changed. El Meson serves Spanish and Portuguese food - sopa de ajo(garlic soup), paella valenciana, tapas(generous portions). Vergy good service and great food. Our friends started with the sharing of the tapas flamencas which consisted of chorizo(sausage), large shrimps, roasted peppers, breaded calamari(excellent), cod cake, tomato and artichoke salad with garlic mayo, turnip sticks, soft cheese and a small bowl of beans (too much for 2 people) could probably be shared by 4 people. We started with escargots, mushrooms in garlic sauce, it was excellent. The 4 of us had paella valenciana which 3 of us really enjoyed but 1 person found it too salty. The seafood was not overcooked, chorizo sausage was moist, saffron rice with onion/garlic, peas and peppers was also excellent. Overall the food was tasty and very good but a bit pricey. The wines are expensive, do not bother with the house white wine, it was too sweet. On a negative note we had to ask for glasses of water which to us should be a given.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

I know this restaurant since many years ago and, when I am in Ottawa, I make sure I have at least one dinner here. The owner Josè is very friendly and always ready to chat with you about many topics. The food is always unpeccable and derives from the portuguese and spanish cuisines. My suggestion is the bacalao as a main dish and the mejillones (mussels) as an appetizer. Lots of wines to choose from too which is always a plus. Very good and professional service. Definitely a place to go when you visit this attractive canadian town.

1  Thank Maicolgiordan
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This is not the first time we dine at El Meson, however after our last visit, I felt I should recognize their fantastic service and food quality. Our experience started with the reservation stage and how helpful Joseph (the owner) was. As we were a group of 14, he took care of all the details by putting us in a private room on the second floor. One of El Meson experienced servers was assigned to our group. He was the most accommodating person in terms of menu suggestions, substitutes and wine selection. Joseph came to check on the group few times during the dining experience.

The food quality and presentation were excellent and the entire dining experience was memorable. I definitely recommend this establishment to anyone lives or visiting Ottawa.

2  Thank hasman3009
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We have visited El Meson on a number of occasions. The food here is Iberian, offering the very best of Portuguese and Spanish cuisine. You will find mouth-watering paella, veal and chicken on the menu. The veal is something my husband orders every time we go there...it is just that good.
Start with a sampler plate that includes spicy chorizo and the most tender fried calamari you will find. The folks in the kitchen here know how to cook fish….though El Meson is not billed as a fish restaurant, I would say that it is they very best place for fish in this city. Always fresh and always cooked to perfection.
Jose and his team are super friendly…everyone makes you feel right at home. The place is always busy and there is a buzz in the room….sometimes a loud buzz…it is the sound of people laughing and genuinely enjoying themselves.
And do they know their wine here. Private imports of some fantastic Portuguese wines that you will not find at the store. On our last visit, we had a spectacular Douro wine called Carm, made from Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz (also known as Tempranillo), Tinta Francisca and Touriga Franca. This was a big wine, but very drinkable…even without food.
Make reservations soon….you will not be disappointed.