“The Urban Pear brunch is on my weekend to do list !”
Review of the urban pear - CLOSED

the urban pear
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Glebe / Dow's Lake
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Urban Pear brunch is on my weekend to do list !”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I went to the Urban Pear on Second Ave in the Glebe this past Sunday for brunch and was thoroughly impressed! From the moment we walked in it was a great experience. We were seated and offered water immediately, which is a lost art these days in a lot of restaurants. The excellent service remained throughout our stay and I actually complimented the server on enhancing our experience –I haven't told a server that in years! Now, on to the highlight of our brunch - the fresh, flavour filled, nicely presented food. The brunch menu offered a good selection of local fare for both meat eaters and vegetarians. My brunch companion and I decided to try a veg selection and a meat selection. She ordered the eggs benedict with shredded duck while I ordered the veggie omelet. Both dishes were fabulous - full of natural flavour which can only come from using fresh local ...ingredients. I also must applaud the Pear for not having ketchup, salt etc. on the tables which a lot of people use out of habit – both dishes were full of flavour and needed no extra attention. We finished our meal by sharing the churros from the dessert menu - I can't even begin to describe how delicious these warm, cinnamon-sugar dusted delights were! Our visit to the Urban Pear was a truly wonderful culinary experience! We left our brunch date feeling not only satisfied by the superb cuisine, but happy from the whole experience new owner Jeff Frost and his staff provided! Dining at the Urban Pear in the Glebe should definitely be on the weekend to do list! Brunch is served both Saturdays and Sundays from 11am - 230pm and well worth the trip!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank emac92

Ottawa, Canada
“Fine dining in a relaxed environment”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The food was innovative, the vegetarian option was flavourful, the wine was well-paired, the service was discrete. The appetizers did not disappoint: the local tomato and bean salad with hemp seeds was crispy and tasty, but it is the Antipasti plate that wins every time. It is a delightful variety of local charcuterie and pickled items. The trout was perfectly cooked - it was accompanied by a spicy warm chick pea "salad". The generous vegetarian option included eggplant, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, served on a parmesan risotto. Our meal was carefully wine paired by our waiter and made our meal almost perfect. I say almost perfect simply because the lava cake chosen as dessert had no lava! The Urban Pear is highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“An excellent meal not just for a special occasion”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We came here because it WAS a special occasion, our anniversary before a show at the National Arts Centre, so we were an "early sitting". The service was professional and attentive, friendly but not chummy. There was a good selection of wines by the glass, and the waiter knew the wine list well. The food was sensitively prepared and portions were moderate allowing for a well-balanced meal of appetizers, soup, entree and dessert without being bloated. A perfectly enjoyable preface to the evening, and it's easy to see why people return to this small gem. We'll be back! As a note, for those wondering, the restaurant has a parking lot immediately adjacent for their patrons.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank David_N_Kidd
Ottawa, ON
“Average meal for a special occassion”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went with my nephew there Friday, May 30th as part of his belated Bday since I was away on the actual day.

He liked Ottawa Street Gourmet STREAT food truck and Ben Baird/ Elsie gave us a tour of the truck at the street truck event for city hall on May 8th so this is his choice for the lunch.

First we did not know there was parking next to the restaurant so I paid $5 for street parking on bank street when there was a free spot around the corner.

Both of us like the steak and caramelized onion sandwich but they were out of it. As one of the 2 main dishes priced in the teens for lunch, I wonder why they don't stock more ingredients. The grilled pear and brie sandwich did not appeal on a day that is 32 degree plus humidex.

My nephew looked for a long time and finally decided on the orcchitoo (sp?) which is ear shaped pasta with carbonara sauce and peas. I had a taste of it and the lardons were very salty (but I eat low salt these days) and I think I would have preferred asparagus instead of peas since it would add a bit more contract of textures. He liked it but I can tell it did not wow him. It was $20 and a fair bit of pasta, probably more than a normal appetite for lunch.

I normally like duck confit and I also like risotto so after some consideration, I finally choose that one where the risotto is done with fava beans even thought it was more food than I would like when we are having/ splitting a starter. The duck was well done with crispy skin but it was fairly heavy for a hot day. This would have been better in the winter where the heavy comfort meal would have been better.

The risotto was fine but was a tad insipid beside the duck and the fava beans did not impart much flavour to the rice. This is not typical of a lunch dish end of May almost beginning of June so I was wondering if they are cutting down on their lunch menu options and replacing them with more pricier dinner options from night before or that evening to save prep time (duck confit and fava risotto is $26) since they also have the street truck taking focus during the day.

Forgot to say that we split a quail ceasar salad ($15?) to start. I was eyeing the scallop and shrimp cake or the antipasto plate (both priced in the high teens and likely same as dinner appetizers). It was too hot for the onion soup with beer which I want to try another time.
The waitress was nice and pre-split the salad starter for us. The quail is nice idea but fail in practice since it was tiny and very fussy to eat with the tiny wing / breast and it was a tad undercooked.

I don't mind spending dinner prices at lunch for good food but this lunch you can tell it is a sous chef is cooking. We got there late at 1:30pm so we were the last patrons so no competition for attention of the kitchen.

I think I would either hit the food truck at lunch or do dinner instead at the restaurants but would probably not do lunch there during the summer. If I do lunch, I would do it early at 11:30 or 12:00 instead of a day I had something on and have to fight traffic/construction since they ran out of good lunch special.

• Visited May 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent Food and Service!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The menu at The Urban Pear is always fresh, seasonal and changing. Great for a glass of wine and appetizer or a full meal, have never been disappointed. One of the best places to eat in Ottawa.

• Visited July 2013