“Average meal for a special occassion”
Review of the urban pear - CLOSED

the urban pear
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Glebe / Dow's Lake
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went with my nephew there Friday, May 30th as part of his belated Bday since I was away on the actual day.

He liked Ottawa Street Gourmet STREAT food truck and Ben Baird/ Elsie gave us a tour of the truck at the street truck event for city hall on May 8th so this is his choice for the lunch.

First we did not know there was parking next to the restaurant so I paid $5 for street parking on bank street when there was a free spot around the corner.

Both of us like the steak and caramelized onion sandwich but they were out of it. As one of the 2 main dishes priced in the teens for lunch, I wonder why they don't stock more ingredients. The grilled pear and brie sandwich did not appeal on a day that is 32 degree plus humidex.

My nephew looked for a long time and finally decided on the orcchitoo (sp?) which is ear shaped pasta with carbonara sauce and peas. I had a taste of it and the lardons were very salty (but I eat low salt these days) and I think I would have preferred asparagus instead of peas since it would add a bit more contract of textures. He liked it but I can tell it did not wow him. It was $20 and a fair bit of pasta, probably more than a normal appetite for lunch.

I normally like duck confit and I also like risotto so after some consideration, I finally choose that one where the risotto is done with fava beans even thought it was more food than I would like when we are having/ splitting a starter. The duck was well done with crispy skin but it was fairly heavy for a hot day. This would have been better in the winter where the heavy comfort meal would have been better.

The risotto was fine but was a tad insipid beside the duck and the fava beans did not impart much flavour to the rice. This is not typical of a lunch dish end of May almost beginning of June so I was wondering if they are cutting down on their lunch menu options and replacing them with more pricier dinner options from night before or that evening to save prep time (duck confit and fava risotto is $26) since they also have the street truck taking focus during the day.

Forgot to say that we split a quail ceasar salad ($15?) to start. I was eyeing the scallop and shrimp cake or the antipasto plate (both priced in the high teens and likely same as dinner appetizers). It was too hot for the onion soup with beer which I want to try another time.
The waitress was nice and pre-split the salad starter for us. The quail is nice idea but fail in practice since it was tiny and very fussy to eat with the tiny wing / breast and it was a tad undercooked.

I don't mind spending dinner prices at lunch for good food but this lunch you can tell it is a sous chef is cooking. We got there late at 1:30pm so we were the last patrons so no competition for attention of the kitchen.

I think I would either hit the food truck at lunch or do dinner instead at the restaurants but would probably not do lunch there during the summer. If I do lunch, I would do it early at 11:30 or 12:00 instead of a day I had something on and have to fight traffic/construction since they ran out of good lunch special.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The menu at The Urban Pear is always fresh, seasonal and changing. Great for a glass of wine and appetizer or a full meal, have never been disappointed. One of the best places to eat in Ottawa.

1  Thank bestfamilyadventures
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a brunch here. Started with a Caesar salad with grilled quail that had a unique, deconstructed plating, which really highlighted the quail. The meat was moist and juicy, with an excellent grilled flavor that was not overdone (that is burned and bitter). Excellent dressing and parmesan cheese as well!

For a main I had a quiche that also contained cheese, onions, as well as fresh vegetables, notably some really tasty asparagus. The quiche was PERFECTLY seasoned, that is seasoned before baking, giving the eggs a really great flavor. It also came with a side salad, so a lotta greens in my meal -- a plus for me.

Overall, this was a great place for brunch and I highly recommend it.

1  Thank Kenneth N
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Tucked away, a distance from downtown Ottawa, you will find the Urban Pear (151 Second Ave). It seats about 40 people, and the food is incredible! The menu changes periodically, so when you go onto their website you may not get what is currently displayed. You would better be off to call and find out if it has changed. We went with a group of 22 people, and were prepared a fixed price meal (I had called ahead and planned this with one of the wonderful chefs there). No one had any complaints. We had a choice of 1 of 3 appetizers, 1 of 3 entrees and dessert. We did not leave there feeling like we had to be rolled out, but our stomachs were satisfied! I suggest making a reservation if going on the weekend. Otherwise you may not get in. This restaurant is long and narrow - there is a picture on their website. I suggest you do plan at least one meal at this restaurant whether you live in Ottawa, or are just visiting! Our group was in Ottawa for a 4 day conference.

2  Thank Helen M
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I visited the Urban Pear with a group of friends for a special celebration. Most of the meal I had was excellent with the duck breast I ordered cooked perfectly. Service was quick and unobtrusive. They had very interesting and delicious cocktails available - the grapefruit gimlet was very tasty and refreshing.
One of my complaints with restaurants in this city is the uniformly uninspired dessert menu and the Urban Pear had the usual suspects - Ice cream, creme brulee, molten chocolate cake etc. However, I will rarely turn down creme brulee and the Urban Pear version is very good. Accompanying the dessert was slices of poached pear that had a slight anise flavour that was very delicious. I could have eaten a whole bowl of this. If they used this as the centerpiece of a dessert they could have a unique signature dish.
My complaint about the Urban Pear in not the food or service but the price. It is VERY expensive. My meal of 1 drink, entree, and dessert was $80. before tip. The food is very good but not THAT good and this is out of proportion to other high end restaurants in the area.

1  Thank KerryD1