“Great brunch!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of the urban pear - CLOSED

the urban pear
Cuisines: Canadian, French, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Glebe / Dow's Lake
“Great brunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went to Urban Pear for brunch with a couple of friends. Lots of good things to say about the place! The home made bread and caramelized onions butter was great. Menu had tons of great items and I'd definitely go again to try different things. Had the poached eggs served with hollandaise on striploin - really really good!

Only thing keeping this from being a 5 star review is price (a bit pricy, 22$ for a brunch plate is a bit much), as well as service. Both waiters that helped us looked like this was the last place they wanted to be. Unfortunate because the food was great!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jfbibeau

“Remarkable Culinary Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We went for our wedding anniversary. It was a Wednesday evening. The place was relatively quiet. So we had very attentive service. Not that we know if during the weekend, it is less so. But as a rule, when a restaurant is full, staff are in hurry. We had chosen this place for its good reputation. Having been around for a number of years, the Urban Pear has deservedly acquired a good reputation for its imaginative cuisine. We were enjoyably surprised. The food was definitely beyond our expectations. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable. A culinary experience that is well worth the visit.

1 Thank JacquesLD
“Always pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been to this restaurant about 10 times over the last two-three years and each time they manage to impress me. The menu has very few items on it, maybe 6 starter choices and 6 main menu choices, but it changes frequently. Most importantly, it combines flavors like no other restaurant in Ottawa. Its only shortcoming is the dessert menu - very basic. But I always order a starter and a main, knowing that I will love both and be too full for dessert. If you still want dessert, you can always take a short walk to Von's Bistro and have their chocolate pecan pie!

1 Thank Josee L
Ottawa Ont.
“Great Food Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have visited the Urban Pear on many occasions and the service, the presentation and most importantly the food at the Urban Pear is exceptional. This is one of the top dining spots in Canada. You know I was looking on Trip Advisor for somewhere different to dine this evening but I just decided - I'm heading to The Pear. I'm worth it!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Keith16
ottawa canada
“Great atmosphere, food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were shopping in the Glebe and used the tripadvisor app to find restaurants near us. The Urban Pear had some nice reviews and was close by. There is construction on the outside of the building that made it hard to tell if it was open. We were ready to walk away and the server came out to greet us. This turned out to be a great indication of what was going on inside. The decor is long and narrow, very cozy new feeling. The waiter was extraordinary. Very knowledgable, talked us through the wines, introduced each dish, talked about ingredients and tastes of the food. This was someone that genuine, honest and really loved to work here. Very rare. It was a young girl with dark hair, I am sorry I did not get her name to put on here. We had the anti-pasta starter for 2. Very nice, some different things with icicle pickles, pickled beats, brie cheese, mushrooms, duck slivers, lemon infused butter... All of the meal had a few hints of someone that really knows how to jar pickles, beans, beets, a real touch of home with grandma, but with a very modern feel. I had the pan fried duck, my wife had the trout. Both were excellent. I dine out and travel nonstop with work and you come to find places like this occasionally. Small menu, comfy feeling, workers that love to work there and really are proud of the food. Many of these places become very popular and slowly loose this, becoming too big and too impersonal. If you are looking for one of these places before the change, this is it. The food is pretty pricey, but worth the visit.

1 Thank Barry H